欢迎光临散文网 会员登陆 & 注册

【细读文本】《拓荒者》文稿精读(2)

2022-11-13 13:04 作者:qazopq  | 我要投稿

大家好,我们继续上次《拓荒者》的文稿精读。史努比他们一行人在经过了重重险阻后终于抵达了新大陆,他们又将面临什么样的考验呢?我们一起去探寻吧!

阅读提示:黑色加粗——重点生词;红色加粗——好词好句。

第三部分:抵达新大陆(续)

我们终于到了!

(Crowd) LAND HO LAND HO...THERE lT lS...

(众人) 陆地!陆地!就是那儿!

Linus: We made it Charlie Brown! We made it!

我们成功了查理·布朗!我们成功了!

Charlie Brown: We did it, Lucy! We did it! We crossed the great ocean.

我们做到了,露西!我们做到了!我们穿越了大西洋。

Lucy: Just point me to the suggestion box. I've got a few choice words (刻薄的话) for the captain of this ship.

给我指一下建议箱。我要狠狠投诉这艘船的船长。

Charlie Brown: Good grief (真是糟糕) !

天哪,露西还在想这事!


'The Mayflower' has arrived, The date November 9, 1620. 

1620年11月9日,五月花号终于抵达北美洲。

She first sets land 65 days, 2750 miles from Plymouth, England.

总时长:65天,总里程:2750英里。

The average speed: 2 miles per hour.

平均速度:每小时3.2千米

第四部分:岸上新生活

2 days later on November 11, at 6:30 in the morning, they made their first landing at what today we call 'Provincetown Harbor (普罗温斯敦港,比邻波士顿)'.Because they have no charter or rules for the wilderness that stands before (在此之前) them, the Pilgrims write a historic agreement which will eventually be called the 'Mayflower Compact (五月花号公约)'. It establishes the plans (建立计划) for making the laws in the future.

两天后,11月11日早上6点半,他们首次登陆在今天的普罗温斯敦港。由于移民者们此前还没有制定任何法规,他们起草了一份历史协议,这便是五月花号公约,为未来的立法制定蓝本

After an unsuccessful attempt to navigate for the south, the 'Mayflower'returns to the 'Provincetown Harbor'. The first group of men prepares to leave the ship and explore their new home. All the bone-weary (筋疲力竭) passengers hope and pray that the worst is behind them. Of the original 102 passengers, 101 arrived, 2 having died in the crossing, and 1 baby having being born. How many of these people will survive a winter in the wilderness is still in great doubt.

在尝试向南航行失败后,“五月花”号返回“普罗旺斯镇港”。第一批人准备离开船,探索他们的新家。所有疲惫不堪的乘客都希望并祈祷最糟糕的事情已经过去。在最初的102名乘客中,101人抵达,2人在途中死亡,1名婴儿出生。它们如何在荒野中过冬的难题,仍亟待解决。

岸上生活

For the first few days the weary (疲倦的) travelers have some relief. Clothes can be washed on shore for the first time in two months. Juniper trees (桧树) supply kindling to fuel fires aboard ship. The smoke from the fires rids the 'Mayflower' of its terrible smells. Fish and fowl (家禽) provide desperately needed food. Even great whales leaping all around the ship seem to welcome the newcomers.

在最初的几天里,疲倦的旅行者们终于松了一口气。两个月来可以第一次在岸上洗衣服。桧树为船上提供了生火用的木材。大火产生烟雾驱散了“五月花”的可怕气味。鱼和家禽提供了旅客急需的食物。船边不时跃起的大鲸鱼,似乎在欢迎新来的移民。

But during the next four weeks the pilgrims have one disappointment after another. A small group of men explores the nearby wilderness but is unable to find a suitable place for settlement. Wild animals screech out (发出刺耳的声音) in the night. Many of the passengers, most of whom are still cooped up (被困于) on the 'Mayflower' start to become ill. The few explorers on land desperately look for any sign of life, any sign of friendly lndians who might help them survive.Then suddenly one day...

但在接下来的四周里,移民者们遇到了一件接一件的失望事。一小群人探索了附近的荒野,但没能找到合适的地方定居。野生动物在夜里嚎叫。大多数仍困在“五月花”号上旅客开始一个接一个地生病。为数不多的探险家在陆上拼命寻找任何生命迹象,寻找任何可能帮助他们生存的友好印第安人的迹象。突然有一天......

失之交臂

他们误解了史努比的诚意

explorer 1: Look...over there...4...5...6 lndians and a dog. Put down your muskets and let's see if they'll talk.

看那边…6个印度人和一条狗。放下你们的火枪,看看他们会不会说话。

explorer 2: Let's walk slowly toward them. Smile. Show them we don't want to harm them.

让我们慢慢走向他们。微笑。告诉他们我们不想伤害他们。

explorer 1: Oh no...they're running away.

哦,不…他们逃跑了。

explorer 2: They must be afraid .

他们一定很害怕。

explorer 1: Quickly! We must chase after them.

快,我们必须追上他们。

The explorers try to find the lndians, going at least ten miles inland, but the lndians have vanished.

探险家们试图找到印第安人,他们往内陆走了十几公里,但印第安人已经消失了。

寻找新的定居点

By the end of the fourth week,the explorers are near exhaustion. They plan to return to the 'Mayflower' the next day. A few days later the 'Mayflower' sets sail for a more hospitable (适合定居的)  harbor discovered earlier by the small band of explorers. Several passengers have died during the stay at 'Provincetown', which the 'Mayflower' leaves on November 15th. They lay anchor (抛锚停泊) on November 16th.

到第四周结束时,探险家们几近疲惫。他们计划第二天返回“五月花”号。几天后,“五月花”号启航前往另一个更宜人的港口,这是由一小队探险家早些时候发现的。“五月花”号于11月15日离开“普罗旺斯镇”,几名乘客在逗留期间去世。他们于11月16日停泊靠岸

On land, they discover a miracle. Much land has been cleared probably by some lndians. Though again there are no lndians in sight (目力所见). There is much land suitable for planting crops and much land on which to start building their settlement. A week after arrival they start building their common house But at this moment of high hopes, tragedy starts to stalk (偷偷袭来) the Pilgrims.

在陆地上,他们发现了一个奇迹:尽管目力所及不见印地安人,许多土地可能已经被他们清理过。这里有很多适合种植农作物的土地,也有很多适合建设定居点的土地。抵达一周后,他们开始建造共同的居所,但在这个充满希望的时刻,悲剧开始在他们中蔓延

The three months of force confinement (束缚) aboard the 'Mayflower' starts to take its toll (产生恶果). The harsh (严酷的) winter, freezing snowstorms beat down (遭受) on the Pilgrims. At least half of the adults lay sick or dying. Only 6 or 7 adults are ever well enough at one time to carry on the daily work. 'The Mayflower' becomes a hospital ship. When the common house is finally finished, it too becomes a hospital. Miraculously, the thirty children survive. And many of them must take on the chores (家务) of their elders.

在船上长期拘束的生活让许多人染上了传染病加之严冬暴雪,让移民者们不堪重负。至少一半的成年人生病或死亡。只有6到7个成年人可以从事日常工作。五月花号变成了一艘医院船。当他们共同的居所完工时,它也变成了一所医院。神奇的是,三十名孩子全部幸存下来。他们中许多人必须分担大人的工作

任务分工

Lucy: All right, everybody. Listen up! These will be your chores for today. Charlie Brown and Linus you get the nuts and cherry berries. Peppermint Patty and Marcie you get the kindling (木柴). Snoopy and Woodstock you get the drinking water.Sally and I will try to patch up (修补) some of these clothes. Everyone be back here within two hours

好了,各位。听着!这些将是你今天的工作。查理·布朗和莱纳斯,你们负责采摘坚果和浆果。薄荷帕蒂和玛西你们负责捡干柴。史努比和糊涂塌客,你们去挑水。莎莉和我将修补这些衣服。大家两小时内回来。

Patty: And who put you in charge, Lucy?

谁让你负责的,露西?

Lucy: Captain Myles Standish (1584-1656)That's who. People with pretty faces are always put in charge.

迈尔斯·斯坦迪什上尉,就是他。长得漂亮的人,总会被指定为负责人。

查理布朗和莱纳斯

Charlie Brown: Linus, do you think we're all going to die?

莱纳斯,你认为我们都会死吗?

Linus: We have to have faith, Charlie Brown. We just have to do the best we can each day.

我们必须要有信心,查理·布朗。我们只需要每天尽力就行。

Charlie Brown: I'm really scared. It seems we're losing one or two people every day now.

我真的很害怕。看来我们现在每天都会失去一两个人。

Linus: They're starting to build the first houses. Captain Standish says, if we can just make it until spring we have a chance.

他们开始建造第一栋房子。队长斯坦迪什说,如果我们能坚持到春天,我们就有机会了。

Charlie Brown: Do you think we have enough berries?

你认为我们有足够的浆果吗?

Linus: I'm freezing. I think we should collect some more, Charlie Brown.

我快冻僵了。我看我们还不够,再摘点吧,查理·布朗。

说得再多,难掩恐惧

Linus: On the other hand maybe we do have enough.

另一方面,也许我们已经足够了。

薄荷派蒂和玛西

这是笔者很喜欢的一个段落,寥寥几笔就勾画了两人性格

Marcie: I'm afraid of the wolves, sir.

我怕狼,先生。

Patty: Forget the wolves, Marcie!

忘掉狼吧,玛西!

Marcie:I'm afraid of the lndians, sir.

我害怕印第安人,先生。

Patty: Forget the lndians, Marcie! Besides we haven't seen any since we landed in this harbor.

忘了印第安人吧,玛西!此外,自从我们上岸后,我们就再也没见着他们。

Marcie:I'm afraid of the storms, sir

我害怕暴风雨,先生。

Patty: Forget the storms, Marcie!

忘记暴风雨吧,玛西!

Marcie: What makes you so brave, sir?

是什么让你如此勇敢,先生?

多么单纯的理由!

Patty: People with big noses are naturally brave.

长者大鼻子的人天生就勇敢。

Marcie: Yeooow sir, there's a snake!

呀,先生,有条蛇!

每个人都有他害怕的东西

Patty: YEEEEOOOWWWW!!

Marcie: We can stop running now, sir.

我们现在可以不用跑步了,先生。

Patty: Why is that? 

为什么?

Marcie: I made it up, sir. There really wasn't a snake.

我编的,先生。其实并没有蛇。

Patty: MARClE!!

Marcie: But thank you, sir.

但谢谢你,先生。

Patty: For what?

谢什么?

Marcie: I'm not afraid anymore.

我不再害怕了。

Patty: Why is that?

为什么?

Marcie: The way we ran away from that snake, I think we can outrun (比...跑得快) anything alive.

我们既然可以摆脱心中的那条蛇,还有什么是我们摆脱不了呢?

Patty: Marcie, you're weird!

玛西,你真奇怪!

史努比和糊涂塌克

翻译如挑水,看似简单实则不易
在舒尔茨笔下,再枯燥的工作也能找到乐趣

露西和莎莉

Sally: We sure are lucky to have Captain Standish as our military leader, even if he isn't one of us Pilgrims. 

我们很幸运有斯坦迪什上尉领导,即使他不是移民之一。

Lucy: That's for sure. He helps with the building. He nurses the sick. He's even going to train us to defend ourselves.

这是肯定的。他帮助建造楼房。他护理病人。他甚至会教我们防身术。

Sally: Defend ourselves from what?

保护自己免受什么伤害?

Lucy: The lndians. We know they're out there somewhere and they can attack us any day.

印第安人。我们知道他们在某处,他们随时都可能袭击我们。

Sally: I hope they don't attack today.

我希望他们今天不要来袭击我们。

Lucy: Why today?

为什么是今天?

Sally: I haven't finished the wash yet.

我的衣服还没洗完呢。

天真的莎莉

——未完待续——

【细读文本】《拓荒者》文稿精读(2)的评论 (共 条)

分享到微博请遵守国家法律