【TED演讲稿】无聊建筑的兴起——高度人性化建筑的现状
TED演讲者:Thomas Heatherwick / 托马斯·赫斯维克
演讲标题:The rise of boring architecture -- and the case for radically human buildings / 无聊建筑的兴起——高度人性化建筑的现状
内容概要:Where did all the lumps and bumps on buildings go? When did city architecture become so ... dull? Here to talk about why cities need inspiring architecture, designer Thomas Heatherwick offers a path out of the doldrums of urban monotony -- and a vision of cities filled with soulful buildings that people cherish for centuries.
建筑的所有别具一格的特色都去哪里了呢?从什么时候开始,城市建筑变得如此……平庸?在本演讲中,设计师托马斯·赫斯维克(Thomas Heatherwick)说明了城市需要令人振奋的建筑的原因所在,并提出了解决城市建筑全都沉闷乏味问题的办法——建造这样一个版本的城市:城市中的建筑充满灵气,值得人们珍惜几个世纪。
*******************************************
【1】When was the last time you walked down the street in a city with new buildings?
上次你走在街上注意到新建筑, 是在什么时候?
【2】I want to talk to you about the problem that we all know exists in our towns and cities.
我想和大家探讨 我们的城镇存在的问题, 大家对此都心知肚明。
【3】We're increasingly surrounded by characterless buildings.
我们周围的建筑越来越没有特点。
【4】I believe we're living through an epidemic of boringness.
我认为,我们遭遇了“无聊疫情”。
【5】With a few exceptions, we all know that new buildings will be dead and monotonous.
但也有少数例外, 我们都知道,新建筑 死气沉沉、单调乏味。
【6】Everywhere is the same.
到处都是一样。
【7】Dull, flat, straight, shiny.
阴沉、横平竖直、锃亮。
【8】Inhuman.
毫无人情味。
【9】They're what my daughter calls "meh" buildings.
我女儿称它们是无聊建筑。
【10】These buildings justify themselves as being functional.
这些建筑本身存在的理由, 就是发挥功能。
【11】I'm a designer of buildings, and I've been told so many times that form should follow function.
我是一名建筑设计师, 人们跟我讲了很多次, 形式应服从于功能。
【12】Meaning if I work out mechanically how a building goes together well, the outcome will somehow inevitably look good.
意思是,如果我只是设计了 一个结构上没什么问题的建筑, 它的实际效果肯定也不错。
【13】This mantra, form follows function, is a century old.
早在 100 年前,人们就提出了 “形式服从功能”这个原则。
【14】And it sounds good, doesn't it?
这听起来很有道理,对吧?
【15】Who can argue with that?
谁又能提出反驳呢?
【16】Surely any extra detail is just silly, unnecessary decoration.
确实,任何额外的细节只是 愚蠢、不必要的装饰。
【17】I want to talk about the function that's crucial that I believe is missing.
我想说一说功能, 那些至关重要, 但我认为缺失的功能。
【18】The function of emotion.
情感方面的功能。
【19】And when I say emotion, I mean the ability of buildings to mean something to us.
我讲的“情感方面”的功能, 是指建筑能够给我们带来某种意义。
【20】To lift our spirits, to connect us.
振奋我们的精神,与我们建立联系。
【21】Buildings affect us.
建筑会对我们产生影响。
【22】We walk around them, we look up at them.
我们围着它们散步,我们仰望它们。
【23】And for most of us, for the vast majority of the time, they just leave us feeling indifferent.
对我们多数人来说, 在绝大多数时间里, 它们只是让我们感觉平庸。
【24】So if I took all of us to a city and said, "Which bit would you like to go to?
因此,如果我带大家去一座城市, 问大家说: “大家想去哪个地方?
【25】Would you like to go to the old bit or the new bit?"
大家想去看旧建筑 还是新建筑?”
【26】You've given me my answer already.
大家已经给了我答案。
【27】We all know instinctively, the majority are going to pick the old bit.
我们全都本能地知道, 多数人会选择旧建筑。
【28】Why?
为什么呢?
【29】Because we all know the new bit will be characterless and boring.
因为我们都知道, 新建筑缺乏特点、平淡无奇。
【30】So where did all the lumps and bumps on buildings go?
那么,建筑的所有别具一格的特色, 都去哪里了呢?
【31】The shadows, the textures, the three-dimensionality, the high points of light.
那些阴影、纹理、三维结构、 亮点。
【32】How did it all become so two dimensional, so simplistic and devoid of character?
它们怎么都变得平面化, 过分简单而又毫无特色呢?
【33】Well, it turns out, I'm not the only one who's alarmed by what's happening in our towns and cities.
事实上, 我不是唯一一个 由于城镇建筑出现问题 而敲响警钟的人。
【34】There's research showing that these buildings aren't just simplistic and monotonous.
有研究表明, 这些建筑不只是平庸单调,
【35】They're harming us.
它们还会给我们造成伤害。
【36】They're bad for our mental health, causing stress in our brains as we walk around them.
它们不利于我们的心理健康, 当我们在周围散步时, 它们会给大脑造成压力。
【37】They're bad for our physical health, making us take longer to recover from illness inside them.
它们不利于我们的身体健康, 居住在这些建筑内, 我们的疾病需要更长时间恢复。
【38】And they're also bad for societal health, increasing the likelihood of crime and anti-social behavior.
它们也不利于整个社会的健康, 提高了犯罪和反社会行为的可能性。
【39】But this gets most sinister when we step back and think about the climate crisis unfolding around us.
但是,当我们回过头来, 思考逐渐出现的气候危机时, 这种情况变得最为险恶。
【40】Immense emphasis has been placed on the impact of cars and aviation.
人们一直在极力强调 汽车和航空业造成的影响。
【41】And in this 2019 study, aviation was responsible for 2.1 percent of greenhouse gas emissions.
2019 年的一次调查表明, 航空业产生了 2.1% 的温室气体排放。
【42】But the crazy elephant in the room is that the construction industry as a whole is responsible for a whopping 38 percent.
但是,显而易见 而又被忽略的事实是: 整个建筑行业, 其排放比例达到惊人的 38%。
【43】And in America every year, a billion square foot of buildings are destroyed and rebuilt.
在美国, 每年有 10 亿平方英尺的建筑 被推倒重建。
【44】That's the equivalent of half of Washington, DC being deconstructed just to be reconstructed.
那相当于拆掉了半个华盛顿特区, 只是为了进行重建。
【45】And this isn't just in the US.
这种情况不只在美国发生。
【46】This is global.
这是一种全球现象。
【47】In the UK, we demolish 50,000 buildings a year.
在英国,我们每年 推倒 50000 幢建筑。
【48】The average age of a commercial building in the UK is 40 years.
在英国,商业建筑的 平均使用年限为 40 年。
【49】So that means if I had been born as a commercial building, I would have been killed 12 years ago.
那意味着,如果我是一幢商业建筑, 我在 12 年前就已经“遇害”了。
【50】It's quite straightforward.
情况显而易见。
【51】When people don't love - and I'm using the word love - love buildings, they're more likely to demolish them.
当人们不喜爱 我用的词是“喜爱” 不喜爱建筑时, 他们很可能会拆掉它们。
【52】I feel those two dots haven't been connected together.
我感觉那两点并没有关联。
【53】But when you make a building, one of the most expensive things you can possibly do, there are understandably huge pressures of cost of time, of politics and egos and regulations and the status quo.
但是,当你建造一座建筑, 这可能是你做的代价 最高昂的事情之一, 这时,可以理解的是, 你会面临时间成本、 政治、自我、法规和现状 带来的巨大压力。
【54】These forces of soullessness are immense.
这些无形的力量非常巨大。
【55】And change is scary for everybody, myself included.
所有人,包括我自己, 都害怕做出改变。
【56】But I'm convinced that emotion is the crucial function that's been forgotten.
但我确信,情绪调节 是一项一直被忽略的关键功能。
【57】There are, however, a tiny handful of people who do understand and are trying to address this.
但是,有一小部分人 的确认识到并在努力解决这个问题。
【58】Here's a few of them.
这里我举几个例子。
【59】In France, Sou Fujimoto has designed this amazingly textured apartment building.
在法国, 藤本壮介(Sou Fujimoto) 设计了这幢让人眼前一亮的公寓。
【60】In Burkina Faso, Francis Kéré has made this soulful health center.
在布基纳法索, 弗朗西斯.凯雷(Francis Kéré) 建造了这坐充满灵气的保健中心。
【61】In Lebanon, Lina Ghotmeh Architecture has been using splendidly thick walls to make characterful housing.
在黎巴嫩, 建筑师丽娜.戈特梅(Lina Ghotmeh) 一直在使用华丽的厚墙 修建特色住房。
【62】And in the UK, ACME Studio have been bringing personality and detail to city center buildings.
在英国, ACME Studio 一直将个性和细节 融入市中心的建筑中。
【63】I thought I'd now show you a few examples of ways my own studio has been trying to address this too.
下面,我还提供另一些示例, 说明我自己的工作室 如何努力解决这个问题。
【64】In Cape Town, there was a huge century-old disused grain silo that was once used for storing maize from throughout South Africa that was at significant risk of being demolished.
在开普敦, 有一个有着百年历史的废弃谷仓, 它曾经被用来存储整个南非的玉米, 此前,它面临着被拆除的巨大风险。
【65】We proposed to not knock it down, but instead turned it into Africa's first major institution for contemporary African artists.
我们建议不要推倒它, 而把它变成了非洲第一所 为当代非洲艺术家服务的 主要机构。
【66】You haven't seen it yet.
大家还没见过吧!
【67】We took one of the original grain - You might get disappointed now.
我们模仿了一颗原始谷物 现在你可能会感到失望。
【68】We took one of the original grains of corn that had been stored in the original building.
我们模仿了一颗一直存储在 原始建筑中的玉米粒。
【69】And we cut it out of the heart of that building.
我们把那幢建筑从中心掏空。
【70】And around that put 80 galleries.
在它周围建了 80 个展厅。
【71】And most of our work was about restoring and reinvigorating a historical structure.
我们做的大部分工作 都与恢复和翻新历史建筑有关。
【72】But central part of our vision was using our limited budget to create the most compelling heart possible with those gigantic tubes.
但是,我们的核心愿景, 是使用有限的预算, 利用那些巨大的谷仓 带来最激动人心的感受。
【73】And the key thing was how we could make people not just stand at the outside and admire a structure, but how we could pull them into the inside where curiosity would then do the rest of the work.
关键在于, 我们如何让人们不只是站在外面 欣赏一座建筑, 而是如何吸引他们来到内部, 在这里,好奇心将完成剩下的工作。
【74】And you enter under the grain hoppers where the grain used to drop onto the conveyor belts.
然后,你进入到谷斗下面, 过去,粮食从这里掉落到传送带上。
【75】And we loved that by cutting through the original, historic, extraordinary structure, we could expose and share the building's idiosyncrasies.
我们喜欢那里, 于是打穿了这个原始、 具有历史意义的非凡结构, 我们可以呈现并分享 这座建筑的内在气质。
【76】And like these nooks and crannies, they help to give the project its soulfulness.
比如这些隐匿的角落, 它们让这个项目有了灵魂。
【77】And on the top is a sculpture garden with a glass floor.
楼顶是一个采用玻璃地板的雕塑园。
【78】And if you see those babies on the glass just there, this is their view.
如果你在那里的玻璃上 看到那些婴儿, 这是他们的视角。
【79】The finished museum is raw, it's rough, but it's true.
完工的博物馆原始、 粗糙,但很真实。
【80】And it was an honor to bring this historic structure back into life.
让这座历史建筑重新焕发活力 是一种荣幸。
【81】In Singapore, we searched for solutions for why would people be excited to learn in universities anymore?
在新加坡, 我们寻找答案, 了解为什么人们仍然乐意在大学学习。
【82】In this new digital era where you can do virtually everything online, and you can even get a PhD lying in bed, I've heard, why do we need university buildings anymore?
在这个新的数字时代, 我们几乎可以在网上做任何事情, 我听说,你甚至可以 躺在床上完成博士学位, 那为什么我们还需要大学建筑呢?
【83】Well, we believe they're where you come together to have ideas, to meet your future business partner or the person you're going to set up a not-for-profit with.
我想,大家去那里激发灵感, 遇见你将来的商业伙伴, 或与你一起成立非营利组织的人。
【84】Yet this has been the typical experience.
但是以下是你会遇到的情况。
【85】Polystyrene ceiling tiles, no natural daylight, the least inspiring place to meet people.
聚苯乙稀天花板,没有自然光照, 这是最无法令人兴奋的地方, 不适合结交他人。
【86】So to counter that, we made a corridor-less university building where the students can all see each other.
为了改变那种情况, 我们建了一座没有走廊的大学建筑, 在那里,学生们可以看到彼此。
【87】A building which has no front and has no back.
一幢没有前后方向的建筑。
【88】And it's not one building, it's actually 12 buildings.
它不是一幢建筑, 实际上是 12 幢建筑。
【89】Our goal was to invent a new kind of tropical architecture that used the minimum possible energy, where you learn in corner-less classrooms.
我们的目标是设计 一种新的热带建筑, 它会尽可能地减少能源消耗, 大家可以在无角落的教室里面学习。
【90】Where those professors and teachers work with you rather than dictating to you.
在那里, 你与教授和老师相互协作, 而不是受他们摆布。
【91】Where people can be inspired by learning but encouraged to linger.
在那里,人们可以从学习中受到启发, 但也鼓励他们在那里逗留。
【92】And it's open 24 hours.
它 24 小时开放。
【93】And when I was last in Singapore, I had jet lag and it was two o'clock in the morning.
上次到新加坡时, 我出现时差反应,那时是凌晨两点。
【94】And so I went along and there were students there just quietly working and connecting.
于是我到处闲逛, 那里有学生安静地工作和交流。
【95】In Yorkshire, in the UK, we had the chance to humanize a treatment building at one of the UK's largest cancer hospitals.
在英国约克郡, 我们有机会使英国最大的癌症医院的 一幢治疗大楼变得更人性化。
【96】So when you think of the worst building environments you've ever been to, surely hospitals are at the top of that list.
如果想像你曾到过的 最糟糕的建筑环境, 医院肯定高居榜首。
【97】They're some of the most stress and fear-inducing places you can possibly be in.
它们是一些你可能到过的、
【98】So we set ourselves the mission to make a non-clinical building where you could feel vulnerable.
于是,我们为自己制定了目标, 就是建一座让你可以 表现出脆弱的非临床大楼。
【99】And cry and feel protected and come together as a community.
哭泣,受到保护, 然后像社区一样聚在一起。
【100】But our site was on the last bit of greenery at the hospital.
但是,我们的工地 在医院的最后一块绿地上。
【101】And we didn't want to be the ones who dropped a big box and wiped out all that greenery.
我们不想做那个 随手丢下一幢楼, 清除整片绿地的人。
【102】So we wondered instead, could we amplify the greenery that we knew could help with healing?
相反,我们想知道, 我们是否可以扩大 那块有康复效果的绿地呢?
【103】So just like those dinosaur models made from plywood that slot together, we slotted together giant plywood to make three structures to hold up three major gardens and make a garden building.
因此,就像那些用胶合板拼在一起 做成的恐龙模型一样, 我们把巨大的胶合板拼在一起, 做成了三座建筑, 里面是三个庭院, 这让它成为了一座园林建筑。
【104】This building has 17,000 plants, 23,000 bulbs, and actually a 436 percent biodiversity increase on that site.
这座建筑里面 有 17000 种植物, 23000 种块茎植物, 实际上,那个地方的生物多样性 提高了 436%。
【105】Our goal was to really make somewhere where people could come together and where by focusing on the emotion of the users to really try to make an architecture of hope.
我们的目标是建造 一个人们可以聚在一起的地方, 通过关注使用者的情感, 努力建造一座充满希望的建筑。
【106】Finally, in Shanghai, we had the chance that's typical of our time.
最后,在上海, 我们得到了一个 这个时代才有的机会。
【107】The challenge of bigness.
巨大的挑战。
【108】To make a three and a half million square-foot site, a building project on a site that was 480 meters long.
建造一个面积 350 万平方英尺的场所, 建筑工地长为 480 米。
【109】Where typically this is what would be built.
通常我们会建造图上这样的建筑。
【110】The site was so big that the Empire State Building could fit on it lying sideways.
这块场地是如此的大, 将帝国大厦侧着放都可以放得下。
【111】So to make this cost efficient, structurally effective, we needed 1,000 columns on a grid, so we decided to not just decorate boxes, but to let the columns be our heroes and to connect with the park to one side and the art district on the other side and try to bring them together into one.
为了提高这个项目的成本效益, 进行高效建设, 我们需要在网格上 立 1000 根柱子, 因此,我们决定不仅仅要装饰方格, 还要让柱子发挥重要作用, 连接一侧的公园, 以及另一侧的艺术区, 并努力让它们成为一个整体。
【112】The finished project is called "A Thousand Trees."
完工后的项目称为“天安千树”。
【113】Every one of those columns has a Chinese mountain tree, semi-mature mountain tree on top.
每根柱子里面 都种了一棵中国山岳树, 在顶部种了半成熟的山岳树。
【114】And nourishment and drainage and lighting and moisture, and because every column is the best place to put a heavy load.
提供养分、排水、照明和水分, 因为每根柱子 都是装载重物的最佳位置。
【115】And it has hundreds of outdoor terraces and it has shading and it has, we hope, the necessary complexity to create the human engagement in a project at such a scale.
这里有数百个室外露台, 它会产生阴影, 我们希望,它会引入必要的复杂性, 在如此大规模的项目中 创造人际互动。
【116】We also worked with local artists to embed their work into our vision, to really make a collaborative project together.
我们还与当地艺术家合作, 将他们的作品嵌入到我们的景观中, 共同完成了一个协作式项目。
【117】And that carries through all the way to the inside.
那些作品一直延伸到内部。
【118】And this project opened at the end of last year, the first half of it.
这个项目在去年底开放, 开放了第一期。
【119】And we have 100,000 people going to it every day.
每天有 10 万人去那里参观。
【120】And it wasn't just about trees and plants, but even structural columns were our friends to humanize the project at such a scale.
在那里,不仅仅是树和植物, 甚至是结构柱 都能成为我们的“朋友”, 使如此规模的一个项目更加人性化。
【121】So I'm not saying that there's any one language or approach to deal with this epidemic of boring.
因此,我不是说 会有任何一种语言或方法 来应对这种“无聊疫情”。
【122】Just like in nature, we've learned the vast importance of biodiversity, we now desperately need architectural diversity.
就像在自然界, 我们已了解到 生物多样性的极端重要性, 现在我们迫切需要建筑多样性。
【123】My goal is to try to help trigger a global humanizing movement that no longer tolerates soulless, inhuman places.
我的目标是努力帮助推动 全球性的人性化运动, 而不再忍受缺乏生气、 没有人情味的建筑。
【124】What if our buildings inspired us to want to adapt and adjust and repair them?
如果建筑给我们灵感, 让我们去适应、调整并修复它们, 会是什么样子呢?
【125】We can't keep knocking down the buildings around us all the time.
我们不能总是推倒我们周围的建筑。
【126】Let's stop building 40-year buildings, and let's build a 1,000-year buildings.
让我们停止建造 使用年限为 40 年的建筑, 让我们建造永不过时的建筑。
【127】Please join me.
请与我携手,共创未来。
【128】Thank you.
谢谢大家!