【TED演讲稿】每位有抱负的领导人都需要问的一个问题
TED演讲者:Constance Hockaday / 康斯坦丝?哈卡达
演讲标题:The one question every aspiring leader needs to ask / 每位有抱负的领导人都需要问的一个问题
内容概要:What does inclusive leadership look like? Artist and TED Fellow Constance Hockaday shares how the captain of a trans-Atlantic community raft taught her how to voice her hopes and desires, inspiring a vision of possibility for the future. Hockaday calls for mentors everywhere to step up and invites aspiring leaders to answer one crucial question in order to unlock their agency and power.
有包容性的领导力是什么样子的?艺术家及TED学会会员康斯坦丝?哈卡达要来分享的是:一个横渡大西洋的社区木筏船长如何教她说出她的希望和欲望,鼓舞她产生对未来可能性的远景。 哈卡达呼吁各处的导师都要站出来,并邀请有抱负的领导人回答一个重要的问题,以解锁他们的能动性与力量。
*******************************************
【1】Most of what we know about performing leadership is made up of these practiced postures passed down in the West through a white, male embodiment of power.
关于领导力的执行, 我们所知的大部分 都是这些练习来的姿势、 在西方,透过白人男性的
【2】These have become so intertwined with actually having power, that imitating these behaviors kind of feels like the only way to show up with authority.
这些行为和实际拥有权力紧紧 交缠在一起,导致模仿这些行为 感觉就像是能展现权威的唯一方式。
【3】We can obviously do better than that.
很显然我们可以做得更好。
【4】I work in organizational and leadership development and I'm an artist.
我的工作领域是组织及领导力发展, 且我是艺术家。
【5】I believe artists are leaders in expressing things that humankind often doesn't know how to say yet.
我相信艺术家是领导者, 引领如何表达人类通常 还不知道如何说出来的东西。
【6】So that's why I invited a bunch of artists to do a leadership makeover.
那就是为什么我邀请了一票艺术家, 来做领导力大变身。
【7】They wrote public addresses.
他们撰写公开致词稿。
【8】They made leadership portraits.
他们画出领导力画像。
【9】I call them the Artists in Presidents.
我称他们为驻总裁职位艺术家。
【10】Since 2020, over 70 Artists in Presidents have contributed to the digital archive.
2020 年起, 超过七十名驻总裁职位艺术家 对数位典藏做出贡献。
【11】They're North American, Indigenous, international and stateless, they're artists with disabilities, they're queer.
包括北美人、原住民、 国际人士、无国籍人士、 有残疾的艺术家、酷儿。
【12】They made beautiful attempts at embodying inclusive performances of leadership and power.
他们做出美丽的尝试,试图具体呈现 领导力和权力如何 以包容的方式实行。
【13】Some sung, others looked to repair the past, one person used artificial intelligence to write her speech, and one person just straight up wrote a curse.
有些人唱歌,有些人寻求修复过去, 有一个人用人工智慧 来撰写她的演讲稿, 还有一个人真的写了一段咒骂。
【14】And so many more.
还有好多别的。
【15】But what really surprised me, was that a lot of us struggled to say something new.
但,真正让我感到惊讶的, 就是有很多人都很难说出新东西来,
【16】To articulate what we want with authority.
很难清楚表达我们 希望权威是怎样的。
【17】Blame it on the millennia of humans colonizing humans, but it seems like we don't believe we can have the things we want.
怪罪于数百年来人类 对人类的殖民,但, 似乎我们并不相信我们能 拥有我们想要的东西。
【18】The things that we need to live and work with dignity.
我们若要带着尊严生活 和工作所需要的东西。
【19】So I think as leaders interested in investing in an equitable society, modeling agency is one of the most important things that we can do for our communities and organizations.
所以我认为,身为领导人, 若有兴趣投资平等的社会, 我们能为我们的社区 和组织做的事情当中, 最重要的其中之一 就是做能动性的榜样。
【20】But it's hard.
但很困难。
【21】How do you move towards believing in your own agency?
你要如何朝向相信 自己的能动性迈进?
【22】The way that I learned to do this came in a really unusual place.
我学会这么做的方式, 来自一个很不寻常的地方。
【23】When I was in my early 20s, I met Captain Betsy.
我二十岁初头的时候, 我遇到了贝琪船长。
【24】I was queer, depressed, feeling totally alone in my tiny south Texas town on the Gulf of Mexico.
我那时很古怪、忧郁, 觉得自己完全孤单一人, 那时我在墨西哥湾的 一个南德州小镇。
【25】And by the time Betsy landed in my town, she had been living on homemade rafts for decades, with a group called the Floating Neutrinos.
贝琪在我的小镇停靠时, 她已经在自制的木筏上 生活了数十年, 和「漂浮微中子」 这个团体生活在一起。
【26】She had captained over a dozen rafts, including one across the Atlantic Ocean.
她是船长,指挥十多艘木筏, 包括一艘横越大西洋的木筏,
【27】In that thing.
搭那个东西呢。
【28】So the Floating Neutrinos believe that the most important thing a person needs to know how to do is articulate their own desires.
所以,漂浮微中子 相信在人们需要知道 怎么做的事情当中,最重要的 就是清楚表达自己的欲望。
【29】To break out of being solely in reaction to the systems that contain us, like the economic system and the education system.
脱离单纯只是对于控制我们的体制 比如经济体制和教育体制。
【30】So that we can allow our deepest desires to be the thing that bring direction and urgency to our lives.
这样我们才能让我们最深的欲望成为 能将方向及紧迫性带到我们生活中的那样东西。
【31】The rafts were a tool that the Neutrinos used to bring themselves closer to their desires.
微中子用木筏这项工具来让 他们更接近自己的欲望。
【32】So obviously, I was very taken by this, not because I wanted to permanently live on a raft, but because I wanted to believe in an extraordinary life.
所以,很显然,我对此非常感兴趣, 不是因为我想永远住在木筏上, 而是因为我想要相信 一种不凡的人生。
【33】And Betsy was the first person to ever ask me what it is that I wanted.
而贝琪是第一问我 「我想要什么」的人。
【34】And she did this using a practice called the three deepest desires.
她问的方式,是用一种称为 「三种最深的欲望」的做法。
【35】She'd say, "Pretend you're gonna die."
她说:「假装你将要死了。」
【36】You're gonna die, you're all gonna die.
你将会死,你们都将会死。
【37】'"Pretend that you're gonna die tomorrow.
「假装你明天就会死。
【38】What is one thing that you need to do before you die?"
你死你必须要做的 那一件事是什么?」
【39】And then I would have full-on drama meltdowns around answering this question, because it was impossible for me to believe that I had any authority over my own life.
接着我在回答这个问题时 就是完全的戏剧性崩溃, 因为我无法相信我对 我自己的人生有任何掌控权,
【40】That I could want things outside of what my parents and our culture had told us to want.
我父母和我们的文化都教导 我们应该要想要什么,
【41】So Betsy finally said, "Look, all you have to do is answer this question for today.
贝琪终于说:「听着, 你要做的就只是针对今天 来回答这个问题。
【42】You could say, 'I want to eat the biggest hamburger in the world.' OK, great. Whatever, write it down.
你可以说『我想要吃 世界上最大的汉堡』。 好,很好,都行,写下来就是了。
【43】Because you're going to answer this question again tomorrow and it's how you answer this question over time that matters."
因为你明天还要 再回答一次这个问题, 而重要的是随着时间过去 你会怎么回答这个问题。」
【44】And so then I said something super weird, like, "I want to see a waterfall,"
然后我说了超怪的的答案,比如: 「我想看瀑布。」
【45】because there's no waterfalls in south Texas.
因为南德州没有瀑布。
【46】And I got much better at it.
我后来更擅长做这件事了。
【47】Saying what we want out loud is something that we have to practice.
大声说出我们想要什么, 是我们必须要练习的。
【48】But the crux of this learning is the believing part.
但要学会的关键, 在于「相信」这部分。
【49】Believing. Faith.
相信。
【50】It's not something that we learn in isolation.
这不是我们在孤立状态能学会的。
【51】It's something that we learn through imitation.
我们要透过模仿来学习它。
【52】Like, leadership and language.
就像领导力和语言。
【53】So in my life, Betsy modeled for me what it meant to articulate my desires and in lending her faith to me, she was also giving it back to herself.
在我的人生中, 贝琪示范给我看「清楚表达 我的欲望」的意涵, 且把信念放在我身上的同时, 她也是在给她自己回馈。
【54】But she did another thing.
但她还做了一件事。
【55】And this is something that leaders often forget to do.
领导人总是会忘了做这件事。
【56】She listened.
她倾听。
【57】She sat with me in the pain and discomfort of my process and it's from that place, my current reality, that she guided me towards a vision of possibility and agency in this world.
她陪我坐下, 在我过程的痛苦和不舒服当中, 从那个地方,即我当下的现实, 她引导我迈向一个远景, 在这个世界上拥有 可能性和能动性的远景。
【58】We can choose to model our leadership styles in similar ways.
我们可以选择用类似的方式 示范我们的领导风格。
【59】It's a commitment to relationality.
那是对关系性的承诺。
【60】It's a process that never ends, but it pays off because it grows empowered, engaged and inspired groups of people, focused on a shared vision.
它是个无止尽的过程, 但会带来益处, 因为它会增加有能力、 投入,且有灵感的族群, 把焦点放在共同的远景上。
【61】So if what we want is to connect people's priorities with our visions for the greater good, we have to commit to mediating between the truth that is in the room and the aspirational future.
所以,如果我们想要的 是连结大家的优先事项 以及我们为了大局好的远景, 我们就必须要承诺 去调解房间中的现实 及梦寐以求的未来。
【62】You're all gonna die.
大家将来都会死。
【63】You could die tomorrow.
你明天有可能会死。
【64】What's one thing that you want to do before you die?
你死之前,想要做的 那一件事是什么?
【65】What kind of leader do you want to be?
你想要当哪一种领导人?
【66】Thank you.
谢谢。