欢迎光临散文网 会员登陆 & 注册

【TED演讲稿】名人肖像背后的故事——从米歇尔·奥巴马到史蒂芬·霍金

2023-06-03 09:30 作者:锡育软件  | 我要投稿

TED演讲者:Platon / 普拉顿

演讲标题:Stories of photographing monumental people -- from Michelle Obama to Stephen Hawking / 名人肖像背后的故事——从米歇尔·奥巴马到史蒂芬·霍金

内容概要:With his art, photographer Platon seeks to strip away assumptions and leave viewers with a window into his subject's character, filling our eyes with wonder and curiosity. Sharing extraordinary stories of what it's like to photograph some of the world's most prominent figures -- from Michelle Obama and Pussy Riot to Vladimir Putin and Muhammad Ali -- Platon captures the disarming power of empathy and human connection.

摄影师普拉顿(Platon) 用他的作品让观众摆脱假设,窥视其摄影对象的性格,让我们的双眼充满惊奇和求知欲。普拉顿分享了一些拍摄世界上最杰出人物的故事——从第一夫人米歇尔·奥巴马(Michelle Obama)和暴动小猫乐队(Pussy Riot)到俄罗斯总统弗拉基米尔·普京(Vladimir Putin))和拳王穆罕默德·阿里(Muhammad Ali)。普拉顿捕捉到了同理心和人际关系的迷人力量。

*******************************************

【1】So here we are, together.

我们全聚在这里,

【2】But we're in a technological trance.

却经历着技术发明的停滞。

【3】Here we are together, but we're divided by tribalism.

我们同舟共济, 却被部落主义分离。

【4】Here we are together, but we're distracted by mass myths.

我们济济一堂, 但民间传说夺取了我们的专注力。

【5】We've been separated by walls, windows, computer screens, borders.

我们被墙壁、窗户、 电脑屏幕和国家边境分开。

【6】But we're united in our hearts.

我们的心仍在一起。

【7】Oh, we've argued and quarreled in the past.

我们曾经争执和冲突,

【8】But now we know we've got a common bond.

但现在我们知道我们有 一个共同的纽带,

【9】Humanity.

人性。

【10】So why are we all here?

我们为什么聚在这里呢?

【11】Maybe we're all looking for a key.

或许是因为我们都在 寻找一把钥匙。

【12】A key to unlock this political, economic, social, cultural paralysis.

解锁这个社会瘫痪的 政治、经济、社会和文化。

【13】Maybe the answer is in a little word: empathy.

或许这一切的答案 藏在一个词里:同理心。

【14】Empathy is not just walking in someone's shoes or feeling someone's pain.

同理心不仅仅是 换位思考或体会别人的痛苦。

【15】Empathy is the secret ingredient for finding a human connection.

同理心是一件秘密武器, 它使所有人连接在一起。

【16】So I want you to open up your hearts and open up your minds, because in times of confusion, we must not lose our capacity to dare to be kind to each other.

我希望你们敞开心扉, 因为在这个困惑的时代里, 我们绝不能失去 善待他人的能力。

【17】Some years ago, I had the great privilege to be invited to the White House to do this.

几年前, 我有幸被邀请到白宫 做一件事。

【18】Now this has got nothing to do with politics.

这件事和政治完全无关。

【19】This is a cultural moment in American history.

这是美国历史上 一个文化时刻。

【20】This is Michelle Obama's first portrait as First Lady.

这是米歇尔.奥巴马 作为第一夫人的首幅肖像画。

【21】So on this day, I was nervous.

那天我很紧张。

【22】And when I'm nervous, I get socially clumsy.

而我一紧张就会 在社交场合笨手笨脚的。

【23】Know what I mean?

懂我意思吧?

【24】So I picked up my camera, focused on her eyelash, and in my clumsiness I shouted out, "Right, my love, I want your soul.

我拿起相机, 聚焦在她的睫毛上, 我笨拙地叫道: “好了,亲爱的, 我想要你的灵魂。

【25】Give it to me."

把它给我!“

【26】Silence in the room.

整个房间都沉默了。

【27】I'm sure the hairdresser almost dropped the hairspray in shock.

我肯定美发师差点吓得 扔掉了手里的发胶。

【28】And as I took this picture, this devastating look came over her face.

我拍这张照片时, 毁灭性的神色 掠过她的脸庞。

【29】The eyebrow raises as if to say, "How dare you?

她的眉毛狠狠地扬了起来, 好像在说: ”你怎么敢?

【30】But I quite like it at the same time."

不过我还挺喜欢的。”

【31】So then I realize what I just said.

然后我才意识到我说了什么。

【32】And I said, "My goodness me, I'm an Englishman.

我接着说:“(女)神啊, 我是个英国人。

【33】And in England we invented being polite.

虽说英国是礼仪地发源地。

【34】I think Canadians and Americans do it better now, but we invented it.

但我觉得现在加拿大人和美国人 在这方面做的更好。

【35】And here I am in the White House, calling you 'my love' and demanding your soul.

看我在白宫里干了什么, 我叫你‘亲爱的’ 还要你交出你的灵魂。

【36】Please forgive my atrocities."

请原谅我的暴言。”

【37】She stands up, gives me a hug and whispers in my ear, "Platon, when all is said and done, I'm just Michelle."

她站了起来,给了我一个拥抱, 在我耳边轻轻说道: “没事普拉顿,说到底, 我只是米歇尔,一个普通人。”

【38】This is Pussy Riot.

这是暴动小猫(Pussy Riot)。

【39】You probably know them as the hardcore feminist punk rock group who spoke truth to power against Putin's excessive nationalism.

她们或许以硬核的女权主义 朋克摇滚乐队的身份吸引了你的注意, 她们揭示了普京过分的 民族主义的真相。

【40】And consequently, they were sent to a Siberian prison for two years.

因此, 她们被送到西伯利亚, 在监狱里关了两年。

【41】But what happens if we remove those colorful, aggressive masks?

如果我们摘掉那五颜六色、 咄咄逼人的面具会发生什么?

【42】You see something different.

你会看到些不一样的东西。

【43】This is Nadia and Masha photographed after they were released from prison.

这是纳迪娅(Nadia) 和玛莎(Masha) 在出狱后的照片。

【44】Look at their faces, you can see the vulnerability on their faces.

看看她们的脸吧, 你能看到她们的脆弱。

【45】You can see that they've paid a heavy price for their support of LGBTQ rights and women's rights in Russia.

她们真的付出了 很大的代价, 为了支持俄罗斯LGBTQ群体 和女性的权利。

【46】Now during their trial in the courtroom, before jail, they were kept in a big cage as if they're wild animals.

在入狱前,在法庭里 接受审讯的时候, 她们就好像野生动物一样, 被关在巨大的笼子里。

【47】Nadia, the woman with dark hair, the co-founder of Pussy Riot, she was constantly scribbling handwritten notes on a scrappy piece of paper.

纳迪亚,这个黑发的女人, 暴动猫咪的联合创始人。 她不断地在 一张废纸上记笔记。

【48】Eventually, the judge said to her, "I want you to stand up and make your closing statement before I sentence you."

最后,法官对她说: “请起身,在我宣判前 做您的最后陈述。”

【49】I'm sure Nadia must have known she's about to go to jail.

我相信纳迪亚肯定知道 她即将入狱了。

【50】Nevertheless, she stood up.

但她还是站了起来。

【51】Nervously clutching her piece of paper, took a deep breath and read out from her notes.

紧张地攥着她的纸片, 她深吸了一口气, 然后开始宣读她的笔记。

【52】And what she said to the judge and to the world, I believe, will go down as one of our generation's greatest speeches.

她对法官和这个世界所说的, 我认为会成为这个时代 最伟大的演讲之一。

【53】She said, "I wouldn't give people labels.

她说: “我绝不会给人们贴标签。

【54】There are no winners or losers here, injured parties or accused.

这里没有赢家或输家, 没有受害方或被告。

【55】We just need to make contact, to establish a dialogue and a joint search for truth, to seek wisdom together, to be philosophers together, rather than stigmatizing and labeling people.

我们真的只是需要多接触, 多沟通, 一起追寻真理。 寻求共同的智慧, 一起成为哲学家, 而不是天天给污名化别人, 给大家贴标签。

【56】That is one of the worst things people could do."

因为这是人们能做的 最糟糕的事情。”

【57】I believe Nadia thinks one of the worst things we could do is to judge each other.

我相信纳迪亚认为 我们能做的最糟糕的事情之一 就是相互评判。

【58】Maybe we need to be less judgmental and more curious.

或许我们应该少一点评判, 多一些好奇。

【59】When you look at one of my pictures, you might find yourself making judgments about that person.

当你看我拍的照片时, 你可能会对照片上的人物 做出判断。

【60】So what happens if I strip away your capacity to make those judgments?

如果我剥去你做出这些判断的能力, 会发生什么呢?

【61】I take away 95 percent of the picture, and I leave you with just five percent that you can't recognize.

我拿走了照片的 95%, 只留下你无法辨认的 5%。

【62】But maybe it's the most important part.

但这或许是最重要的部分。

【63】The window to someone's character.

这是了解一个人的性格的窗口。

【64】The eye.

眼睛。

【65】Whose eye is this?

这是谁的眼睛呢?

【66】Always watching us.

一直盯着我们。

【67】Is it someone you love?

是你所爱的人的眼睛吗,

【68】Is it someone you hate?

是你的恨的人吗?

【69】It belongs to this man.

它属于这个人。

【70】This man.

这位。

【71】At this moment, I would like to pay tribute to all the courageous, brave, resilient heroes who fight against oppression, who fight for human rights, dignity, freedom and justice around the world.

在此刻, 我想向所有勇敢的、 斗志昂扬的、 坚韧不拔的英雄们致敬, 他们与压迫作斗争, 为世界各地的人权、尊严、 自由和正义而战。

【72】Let's give them a round of applause.

让我们为他们送去热烈的掌声吧。

【73】Come on.

来吧!

【74】So I was driven through the streets of Moscow, past the gates of the Kremlin, and we continued out of the streets of Moscow into a dark, bleak, Gothic forest.

有人开车送我 经过莫斯科的街道, 经过克里姆林宫的大门, 继续驶过莫斯科的大街, 走进了一个黑暗、凄惨、 哥特式的森林。

【75】We arrived at one of the most sinister buildings I've ever seen in my life.

我们来到了我这辈子见过的 最阴森的建筑之一。

【76】His private residence, his private dacha.

他的私人住宅, 私人达恰。

【77】And it was surrounded by a two-story high security wall with snipers all the way along the top.

一堵两层楼高的安全墙 围绕着它, 屋顶一路都是狙击手。

【78】As I get out of the limo, I'm escorted into the building at gunpoint.

当我从豪华轿车上下来时, 我在枪口下被护送到大楼里。

【79】I'm led into a room.

我被带进一个房间。

【80】I waited, and he comes in with a giant entourage.

我等了一会儿, 他就和一帮随行人员进来了。

【81】And I said, "Mr. President, before I capture this moment of history on film, I've got a question I'd like to ask you."

我说:“总统先生, 在我拍下这一历史时刻之前, 我想问您一个问题。“

【82】I said, "I was brought up by my mom and dad listening to the music of The Beatles.

我说:“我是由爸爸妈妈养大的, 听着披头士乐队的音乐长大的。

【83】I want to know if you ever listened to The Beatles."

我想知道您是否 听过披头士的歌。”

【84】His two translators whisper in his ear.

他的两个翻译在他耳边低语。

【85】There's some confusing looks amongst the entourage, and then his mood drops.

随行人员中出现了 一些疑惑的眼神, 他的神色变得阴郁了。

【86】And in Russian, he orders the two translators and all his political advisers out of the room, immediately.

他用俄语命令两名翻译 和他所有的政治顾问 立即离开房间。

【87】The bodyguards stay.

保镖们留了下来。

【88】And then Putin turns to me and in perfect English, he says, "I love The Beatles."

然后普京转向我, 用流利的英语说, “我喜欢披头士乐队。”

【89】I said, "I didn't know you spoke English."

我说:“我不知道你会说英语。”

【90】He said, "I speak perfect English."

他说:“我英语说的还挺不错的。”

【91】I said, "In that case, who's your favorite Beatle?"

我说:“既然如此, 你最喜欢的披头士是谁?”

【92】He said, "Paul."

他说:“保罗。”

【93】I said, "What's your favorite song?

我说:“你最喜欢的歌是哪一首,

【94】Is it 'Back in the USSR?'"

是《回到苏联》吗?”

【95】Yeah, he didn't like that very much.

哈,他不太喜欢那首歌。

【96】And then he said, "No.

然后他说:“不,

【97】My favorite song is 'Yesterday.' Think about it."

我最喜欢的歌是《昨天》。 想想吧。”

【98】And I thought about it.

然后我想了想。

【99】And I realized I'm being sent a subliminal message about the old days of power and authority of the Soviet Union through a Paul McCartney song.

我意识到,我正在通过一首 保罗.麦卡特尼(Paul McCartney)的歌, 潜意识里传递着 关于苏联旧时代权力的信息。

【100】Now, that human connection I had with him allowed me in, and I ended up about an inch and a half away from his nose as I took this picture.

既然他让我形成了 这样的人际关系, 我便在离他鼻尖一英寸半的距离 给他拍了张照片。

【101】I could feel his cold breath on my hand as I focused the lens, and that's how I got the truth.

我对准镜头时几乎能 感受到他冰冷的呼吸, 我就是这样了解到真相的。

【102】The truth is that this is the cold face of power and authority in Russia.

这就是俄罗斯的权力和权威的 冷酷面孔。

【103】And then he performs power for me in his chair.

他仅仅坐在椅子上 就让我感受到了这种权力。

【104】Now the LGBTQ community and the human rights community in Russia, many of their members have adopted my pictures of Putin, and they used them as a banner to show everything that they believe is wrong with power in their country.

现在,俄罗斯的LGBTQ群体 和人权组织, 他们的许多成员 都使用了我拍摄的的普京照片, 他们用这些照片作为旗帜, 宣扬他们认为 有关国家权力的一切问题。

【105】I've been told recently that anyone in Russia who is caught circulating my pictures online in connection with human rights violations will be arrested and they will go to jail immediately.

我最近被告知, 在俄罗斯,任何在网上 传播我的照片 和有关侵犯人权的话题的人 将会被逮捕。 他们会很快被送入监狱。

【106】Whose eye is this?

这是谁的眼睛呢,

【107】Someone you love?

是你所爱的人的眼睛吗,

【108】Someone you hate?

是你恨的人吗?

【109】It belongs to a man who was prepared to go to jail for his beliefs.

它属于一个准备为其信仰 而入狱的人。

【110】The late, great Muhammad Ali.

已故的、伟大的 拳王穆罕默德.阿里。

【111】I said to him, "Muhammad, you are the greatest.

我对他说:“穆罕默德, 你是最伟大的。

【112】Teach me to be great.

你教我如何成为伟大的人。

【113】How can my generation be as great as your generation had to be during the civil rights era?"

我这一代人如何能 像你们这代人 在民权运动时期时一样伟大?”

【114】He couldn't speak very well because of Parkinson's.

他得了帕金森症, 所以说话不太利索。

【115】So I had to get close, and he whispered, "I have a confession to make."

我靠近他, 只听见他轻声说道: “我要坦白一件事。”

【116】'"What is it?" I said.

“是什么?”我问道。

【117】He said, "I wasn't as great as I said I was."

他说:“我并没有 我声称的那样伟大。”

【118】'"Holy shit," I said.

“我的天呐,”我说。

【119】'"That's the biggest confession I ever heard in my life.

“这是我这辈子听过 最大的告白。

【120】The whole world knows you as Ali, the greatest."

整个世界都认为 阿里是最伟大的人。”

【121】And then he said, "I think you misunderstand me.

他说道: “我觉得你误会我了。

【122】I'll tell you what was great," he said.

我想告诉你 什么是真正的伟大。”

【123】'"It wasn't me.

“那绝不是我。

【124】It was the people, saw themselves in my struggle, in my story."

而是那些在我的奋斗中、 故事中看到了他们自己的影子

【125】And then he turned it to me, And now I've got the great honor to turn it to you.

然后他把这份责任交给了我, 现在我很荣幸 将这份责任带给你们。

【126】And he said, "If you can get people to see themselves in the story that you put forward, then you have a chance of achieving greatness.

接着他说: “如果你能让人们 在你讲述的故事中看到自己, 你也能成为伟大的人。

【127】But that greatness is never you personally.

但说到底, 伟大不是你个人的东西。

【128】That's something much bigger, called bridge building."

那是一个更宏大的概念, 我们称它为搭建人与人的桥梁。“

【129】A light bulb went off in my brain, so I took this picture.

我灵光一现, 拍下了这幅照片。

【130】My last ever portrait of Muhammad Ali.

这是我为穆罕默德.阿里 拍摄的最后一张肖像。

【131】Not as a prizefighter or a champion, but as a compassionate bridge builder, thinking of the underdog.

不是他作为拳击手 或者冠军的时刻, 而是作为一个 有同情心的搭桥人, 为弱势群体着想的时刻。

【132】Whose eye is this?

这是谁的眼睛呢,

【133】Someone you love, someone you hate?

你所爱的人,所恨的人?

【134】A different type of underdog.

另一种弱者。

【135】Belongs to this man.

这个人就属于其中。

【136】So I said to him, "Donald, "Let's be human with each other just for a few minutes.

我对他说:“唐纳德, “就这几分钟, 让我们成为正常人吧。

【137】We've all followed your career," I said.

我们都了解你的职业生涯,”

【138】'"No one can doubt, it's an extraordinary career path you've had.

我说:“毫无怀疑, 你的职业生涯很不平凡。

【139】But there's always something about you.

但在你身上总有一些东西。

【140】There's always an air of tension and controversy about things you say and do in public.

你在公共场合的致辞 总是能制造 紧张的气氛和争议。

【141】And I'm sure that's intentional on your part.

我相信这是有意的。

【142】But it feels to me as if you're in the middle of an emotional storm.

我感觉你正在一场 情绪的风暴中。

【143】Personally, I couldn't live with that anxiety all the time.

换做是我,在这种焦虑之中 我是活不下去的。

【144】I want to know how you weather the storm."

我想知道你是如何 挺过风暴的。”

【145】He calmly looks at me and he says, "I am the storm."

他冷静地看着我,说道: “我就是风暴。”

【146】The eyes are always watching us.

总是有眼睛看着我们。

【147】But how do we use our eyes?

我们该如何使用自己的眼睛呢?

【148】Do we look?

我们瞧,

【149】Or do we see?

我们看?

【150】When you look at this picture, you might find yourself thinking about the politics of war.

当你瞧见这张照片时, 你心里想的可能是战争政治。

【151】But when you see the person in this picture, you get to know Jessica.

但当你认真看 这张照片里的人物时, 你看到的是杰西卡。

【152】Jessica holds a flag they draped over her husband's coffin, who had recently been killed fighting in Iraq for America.

杰西卡拿着 盖在她丈夫棺材上的国旗。 她的丈夫最近在 伊拉克战争中牺牲了。

【153】I took this picture in her home.

我在她家看到了这张照片。

【154】Now she has his wedding ring around her neck on a chain.

她把丈夫的结婚戒指 当作项链挂在脖子上。

【155】When you're killed in combat, the US military sends your clothes and personal belongings back to the family in a big box.

如果有人死在战争中, 美国军方会把 衣服和其它个人物品 用一个大箱子装起来 送回给家人。

【156】Jessica had recently received the box but had not yet had the courage to open it.

杰西卡最近 收到了这个箱子, 但她不敢打开它。

【157】There it lay, closed, at the base of her bed, in her bedroom.

它就躺在那里, 在她的卧室里紧锁着,

【158】I said to her, "Jessica, maybe you should wear one of his army T-shirts as a tribute to him in the picture."

我对她说: “或许你应该 穿上他的一件军队T恤, 拍张照来向他致敬。”

【159】She said, "I would.

她说:“我会的。

【160】But all his T-shirts are in the box.

但所有的T恤都在箱子里。

【161】Maybe now," she said, "it's time for me to face that emotion."

或许,就是现在。” 她说道, “是时候让我 正视自己的情感了。”

【162】So we both walked into her bedroom.

于是我们俩走进了她的卧室。

【163】We both knelt at the base of her bed, and we undid a latch each of the box and lifted the lid.

跪在她的床边, 各自解开了盒子的一个锁扣, 掀开了盖子。

【164】And she burst into tears.

她顿时泪流满面。

【165】And I felt ashamed of myself.

我感到很羞愧。

【166】For the first time in my life, I had put a photograph above the well-being of a person.

在我的一生中, 我第一次把拍照的冲动 建立在一个人的幸福之上。

【167】As I apologized, she said, "You don't understand why I'm crying.

我郑重地道歉, 她说道: “你不明白我为什么哭。

【168】I'm crying," she said, "because I just realized they washed his clothes, and I wanted to smell him again."

我哭是因为 他们洗了他的衣服, 我多么想再闻闻他的味道啊。”

【169】Did you feel that?

你感受到了吗?

【170】Did you feel that?

你有这种感觉吗?

【171】If you felt that ...

你能感觉到……

【172】then something beautiful just happened.

美好的事情正在发生。

【173】We all came into this room defined by our differences.

在这个空间里, 我们因为彼此的差异而被定义。

【174】Men, women, old, young, Black, white.

男人、女人、老人、年轻人、 黑人、白人。

【175】Dare I say, members of the Left.

我斗胆说,左派的人。

【176】Dare I say, members of the Right.

还有右派的人。

【177】Different genders, different religious groups, cultures.

不同性别认同的人, 不同宗教、文化背景的人。

【178】But we all felt that together.

但我们彼此在一起,

【179】What we felt is compassion.

我们都感受到了这种共情。

【180】Compassion for someone you've never even met.

和你从未见过的人的共情。

【181】That's the power of human connection.

这就是人类相连的力量。

【182】And that's why we will not go down as the generation of connectivity that disconnected itself, no.

这就是为什么我们 不会作为把人与人之间的联系 断开的一代被载入史册。

【183】I think we're going to rise up.

我认为我们会进步。

【184】I think we're going to rekindle the spirit of optimism.

乐观主义的精神 会在我们身上重新点燃。

【185】It seems to me they underestimated the resilience of humanity.

我认为他们低估了人类的韧性。

【186】Whose eye is this?

这是谁的眼睛,

【187】Someone you love?

是你爱的人的吗,

【188】Someone you hate?

是你恨的人的吗?

【189】It belongs to a man who was robbed of the power of human connection.

它属于一个被剥夺了 沟通能力的人。

【190】Professor Stephen Hawking.

斯蒂芬.霍金教授。

【191】Now, he was very ill when I took this picture.

我拍这张照片时 他已经病入膏肓了。

【192】In fact, his whole body had essentially shut down.

他的整个身体都在 逐渐罢工。

【193】There was only one muscle he could still work, and that was underneath his eye.

只有一块肌肉 还在勉强工作, 他眼底的肌肉。

【194】His team of scientists placed a sensor at the base of his glasses.

他的科学家团队在他的眼镜底下 放了一个传感器。

【195】You can see it here.

你可以看到。

【196】And that sensor picks up movement of that muscle.

这个传感器会捕捉 眼底肌肉的运动。

【197】And with that muscle, he moves a cursor over each letter of the alphabet on his laptop screen.

通过这块肌肉, 他移动光标来勾选 笔记本电脑屏幕上的字母。

【198】He chooses a letter, builds a word, constructs a paragraph, and that's how he communicated those epic statements about space, time and humanity to us.

他选择字母, 凑成单词, 构造段落。 他用这种方式向我们展示宇宙、时间 和人类的伟大史诗。

【199】At the end of the session, I said to him, "Professor, what an honor it is for me to photograph you.

一切结束时, 我对他说: “教授,能为您照相 是我的荣幸。

【200】And I've seen how hard it is for you to even communicate.

虽然看到您沟通起来 那么困难,

【201】But I'm going to ask for a big favor."

我还是想请您帮个大忙。

【202】I said, "I want one word of wisdom from you.

我想要您告诉我一个 体现智慧的词。

【203】One word from you, it's going to be worth a million words from anyone else."

一个词就够了。 您的一词胜他者 千言万语啊!”

【204】We all waited.

我们就这么等着。

【205】His nurse was a little concerned.

他的护士有点担心。

【206】I had heard that that muscle was failing, and most of the things he typed around this time didn't mean anything.

我听说那块肌肉正在衰竭, 他在这个时候打出的 大部分东西 都没有任何意义。

【207】Suddenly we heard, beep, beep ... beep, beep, beep. 哔哔,哔哔......哔哔。 He was typing.

突然,我们听到,哔哔, 他在打字了。

【208】We all leaned in to the laptop screen to see where the cursor is going to go, and he went all the way to the letter W.

我们都靠向笔记本屏幕, 看看光标会飘向哪里。 他一直寻到了字母 W。

【209】And he starts the next letter, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep. 哔哔,哔哔,哔。 All the way to the letter O.

然后开始找一下字母, 找到了字母 O。

【210】And then the final letter.

最后一个字母了。

【211】Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep. 哔哔,哔哔,哔哔。 All the way back to the letter W.

我们又回到了字母W。

【212】Someone on the team said, "W-O-W what does that stand for?

有人问:“WOW 是什么意思呢?

【213】That's nonsense, it's a mistake."

这是说胡话呢, 打错了。”

【214】And I said, "Hold on a minute.

我说:“等等。

【215】That's not a mistake.

没错。

【216】He just typed the word, 'Wow.' He just gave me a word my kids would use about the beauty and majesty of life.

他就是想说“WOW”。 这是我的孩子赞叹这个世界的 美好和壮丽的词。

【217】And isn't it amazing how the man who faces so much adversity still looks at the world through the eyes of wonder?"

一个经历了 如此多苦难的人 依然能看到世界的奇迹, 这难道不令人震惊吗?”

【218】His nurse said, "He's exhausted.

他的护士说: “他该累坏了。

【219】Let's give his eyes a rest.

让他的眼睛 休息休息吧。

【220】Let's take off his sensor, take off his glasses and replace them with his dark sunglasses."

把他的传感器拿掉, 把眼镜也取了, 给他戴上他的黑墨镜。”

【221】And then I saw it.

此时我看到的,

【222】A vision of a bad-ass rock star of hope.

是一个充满希望的 倔脾气摇滚明星。

【223】And I took this picture.

我拍下了这张照片。

【224】This is my fitting tribute to a legend of our time, a man who believed that connection equals compassion.

这是我对我们时代的 传奇人物的致敬, 霍金相信人与人之间的联系 等于共情。

【225】So I'm not going to leave you with an answer.

因此,我不打算给你们 留下一个答案。

【226】I'm going to leave you with a question.

我希望给你们 留下一个问题,

【227】Are we to be bystanders, like moths dancing around somebody else's flame?

我们是要做旁观者, 像飞蛾一样 围着他人的火焰起舞?

【228】Or are we to be upstanders, and we light darkness ourselves with our own torch of compassion?

还是做个行动者, 用我们自己 同情的火炬照亮黑暗?

【229】Because when there is light, we see each other not as strangers, not as opponents but as creative partners.

因为在有光的时候, 我们不会认为彼此是陌生人, 也不是敌人, 而是富有创造力的伙伴。

【230】And then together, we rebuild this troubled world.

我们接着一起重建 这个混乱的世界。

【231】Together, we reconnect.

我们重新连结。

【232】Together, we earn the respect of history and transform this chaos into a beautiful cosmos.

我们一起赢得历史的尊重, 将这个混乱的时代 转变成美丽的宇宙。

【233】Thank you for listening to me.

谢谢大家的倾听。


【TED演讲稿】名人肖像背后的故事——从米歇尔·奥巴马到史蒂芬·霍金的评论 (共 条)

分享到微博请遵守国家法律