【TED演讲稿】奥运冠军克服恐惧的思维方式
TED演讲者:Allyson Felix / 艾丽森 · 菲利克斯
演讲标题:An Olympic champion's mindset for overcoming fear / 奥运冠军克服恐惧的思维方式
内容概要:Getting pregnant as a track and field athlete is often called the "kiss of death" -- a sign your athletic career will soon end. Olympic champion, entrepreneur and proud mother Allyson Felix thinks it shouldn't be that way. She tells the story of starting a family while fighting to change her former sponsor's maternity policy -- and paving the way for others to get greater protection and more support. Her message is a testament to the power of believing in and advocating for yourself. "You don't have to be an Olympian to create change for yourself and others," she says. "Each of us can bet on ourselves."
作为田径运动员,怀孕通常被称为“死亡之吻” —— 标志着你的运动生涯即将结束。奥运冠军、创业者以及自豪的母亲艾丽森 · 菲利克斯(Allyson Felix)认为事情不应该是这样。她讲述了在为改变其前赞助商的产假政策而斗争的同时组建有孩子的家庭的故事——并为其他人能获得更大保护和更多支持铺路和创造条件。她向我们证明了相信自己并为坚持自我的力量。她说:“你不必成为一名奥运选手来为自己和他人创造改变。”“我们每个人都可以相信和依靠自己。"
*******************************************
【1】One of the scariest moments of my career started on a dark October morning in 2018.
我生涯中最可怕的时刻之一 起始于 2018 年 10 月 一个漆黑的早晨。
【2】I'm a professional athlete, and my training schedule can be a lot.
我是一名职業运动员, 我的训练时间表内容很多。
【3】Six days a week, five hours a day.
每周六天,每天五小时。
【4】It's intense.
这很密集。
【5】Still, I never train that early.
即便如此,我从没这么早训练过。
【6】But on this day, a special type of fear brought me out at 4am before the sun.
但这一天, 一种特别的恐惧让我在 早上 4 点、日出之前便出了门。
【7】A fear that someone might discover a secret I'd been keeping.
恐惧可能有人会发现 一个我一直掩藏的秘密。
【8】I was six months pregnant.
我怀孕六个月了。
【9】I was pregnant, and I was scared enough to train in the dark so that no one would see the life that was growing inside of me.
我因为怀孕怕得只能在黑暗中训练, 才不会有人看到 我身体里逐渐成长的生命。
【10】I feared that if a fan or someone posted a photo, that my sponsor would immediately change their mind about wanting to work with me.
我恐惧如果粉丝或某人拍照发文, 我的赞助商会立即改变主意, 不愿和我合作。
【11】I feared that I would be forced to choose between motherhood and being a competitive athlete.
我恐惧我会必须选择要当一名母亲 还是一名竞技体育运动员。
【12】I feared that the career I worked so hard to build would disappear just like that.
我恐惧我费尽心力建立的生涯 会毁于一旦。
【13】You think I'm exaggerating, right?
你们觉得我誇大了,对吧?
【14】How could a six-time Olympic champion, a 16-time world champion, a world record holder, possibly think that her career might be over by doing something as natural as having a baby?
怎么可能一位 6 度奥运冠军、 16 次世界冠军、 世界纪录保持人 会觉得她的生涯有可能因为 怀孕这么自然的事而结束?
【15】Well, I'm not exaggerating.
嗯,我没有誇大。
【16】Getting pregnant in track and field has been called the "kiss of death."
在田径界中怀孕 被称作「死亡之吻」。
【17】And it comes with a lot of fear, just like for women in many professions.
它伴随着许多恐惧而来, 就像许多职業的女性一样。
【18】I have been watching women that I respect and teammates of mine hide pregnancies since I was 19 years old.
我一直看到我尊敬的女性 和我的队友掩藏怀孕的事, 从我 19 岁时开始。
【19】I've seen women have to make gut-wrenching decisions like deciding whether to recover their health or return to the sport.
我看到女性必须做出痛苦的抉泽, 像是决定要恢复健康 还是回归这项运动,
【20】Deciding whether to stay in the hospital with a sick child or go to a race so that they don't receive a further pay reduction.
决定要在医院陪伴生病的孩子 还是去参加比赛, 去参赛才不会使收入进一步被削减。
【21】I know what some of you might be thinking.
我知道你们有些人可能在想什么。
【22】We all choose to get pregnant, right?
我们都是自己选择怀孕的,对吧?
【23】If a sponsor doesn't want to pay an athlete who's not out on the track winning, that's just part of the deal, right?
如果赞助商不想付钱给运动员, 因为她没有在跑道上赢得胜利, 那不过是合约的一部分,对吧?
【24】Well, I think the deal's rigged.
嗯,我认为合约是不公正的。
【25】I think that companies want to have it both ways.
我认为企業想要鱼与熊掌兼得。
【26】And I think it's time we change.
我也认为是时候改变了。
【27】Sports companies love to tell women that they can have it all.
运动企業喜欢告诉女性 她们可以拥有一切。
【28】They can do it all, they can be it all.
她们完全能做到,能成为运动员。
【29】We've all seen those inspirational ads.
我们都看过这种鼓舞人心的广告。
【30】I remember meeting with Nike leadership in 2010, and they told me about an initiative they sponsored called the Girl Effect.
我记得 2010 年 和耐吉领导层会面时, 他们告诉我他们赞助了 一项叫「女孩效应」的倡议。
【31】They promoted adolescent girls as the key to improving societies around the globe.
他们支持青春期的女孩,视之为改善世界各地社会的关键。
【32】They said they believed in women and girls.
他们说他们对女人和女孩有信心。
【33】And if I joined Nike, I could empower them.
而如果我加入耐吉, 就能让他们更有力。
【34】And I believed that.
我相信了。
【35】But guess what?
但猜猜发生什么?
【36】Girls come from somewhere.
女孩从某个地方来了。
【37】And women having babies during childrearing years is something that should be celebrated, not punished.
女性在适合生儿育女的时期怀孕 应该受到庆祝而非惩罚。
【38】It should be a part of a normal, thriving, professional, athletic career.
这本该是一名正常的、成长的、 职業的、运动员的生涯。
【39】And women in all fields should never feel the need to hide a pregnancy, at 4am, in the dark, so that they won't be photographed doing that thing that they love.
所有领域的女性都不该觉得她们需要 在早上 4 点的黑暗中 掩藏怀孕的事, 以免在从事她们喜爱的事时被拍照。
【40】Thank you.
谢谢你们。
【41】Remember how scared I told you I was when I was on the track that day?
记得我说我那天 在跑道上时有多害怕吗?
【42】My mind was racing with the consequences of my decision to start a family.
我想着开始家庭生活的各种后果,
【43】I had already been going through a difficult renegotiation period with Nike, and they were already offering me 70 percent less than what I had previously been making.
我已经跟耐吉经过 一段艰难的重新谈判, 他们要支付给我的减少了 70% , 比起我以前所获得的。
【44】And that was even before they knew about the baby.
那甚至是在他们知道我有孩子之前。
【45】Don't even get me started with the ageism that is embedded in the capitalist dream.
我甚至还没受到资本主义 根深蒂固的年龄歧视。
【46】So when I told them about my pregnancy, I asked for a clause in the contract that specified they wouldn't reduce my pay within 12 months of giving birth.
所以当我向知他们我的身孕, 我要求执行合约中的一项条款, 其明确指出他们不会减少我的收入, 只要我在 12 个月内分娩。
【47】They said yes.
他们同意了。
【48】But -- you knew there was going to be a "but", right?
但是 你们知道 永远都有「但是」,对吧?
【49】But it was only a yes for me.
但那个同意仅限于我。
【50】They weren't ready to offer that same protection for all female athletes.
他们没有准备要给予 所有女性运动员相同的保障,
【51】They weren't ready to set the precedent.
他们还没有准备要开创先例。
【52】A couple of days later, my agent called me.
几天之后,我的经纪人打电话给我。
【53】Nike wanted to use me in a commercial for the Women's World Cup.
耐吉想要把我放在 女子足球世界杯的广告上。
【54】I couldn't believe it.
我难以置信。
【55】Nike wanted to use me to tell women and girls that they could do anything, even though the contract before me said the exact opposite.
耐吉想要用我来告诉女人和女孩 她们可以办到任何事, 即便这跟我面前的合约完全相反。
【56】I knew what I had to do.
我知道我需要做什么。
【57】I knew I had to leave.
我知道我必须离开。
【58】I knew I was afraid, but I did it anyways.
我知道我会害怕, 但我还是做了。
【59】I wrote an op-ed in "The New York Times"
我写了一篇《纽约时报》专栏,
【60】calling out Nike's maternity policy, and I wasn't the only one.
批评了耐吉的怀孕政策, 而我不是唯一一人。
【61】My teammates and I, we helped turn the tide.
我的队友和我幫忙扭转了情势。
【62】Now, Nike offers eighteen months maternity protection and other sponsors - And other sponsors like Altra, Nuun, Brooks and Burton, they came forward and they announced their new guarantees for female athletes who start families while being sponsored.
现在耐吉提供 18 个月的身孕保障, 而其他赞助商…… 而其他赞助商,例如 Altra 、 Nuun 、 Brooks 、 Burton , 他们也往前迈进, 公布对女性运动员的新保障, 让她们在有家庭时仍能受到赞助。
【63】Too late for me, but amazing for the women coming up now.
对我而言太迟了, 但对现在出来的女性非常好。
【64】I didn't resign with Nike, and I'm here to tell the tale.
我没有与耐吉续约, 我在这里陈述事情的始末。
【65】But more than that, I'm here to tell you that you can do it, too.
但不只这样, 我在这里还要告诉你们, 你们也做得到。
【66】Once you find the courage to believe in yourself, your own worth, your own values, it gets easier.
一旦你找到勇气去相信自己、 自己的价值、自己的价值观, 事情就会变简单。
【67】It's when you take a stand that you start to understand how to overcome that fear and how to make a change for yourself and sometimes for others.
在你起身反抗时, 你开始了解如何克服恐惧, 如何为自己带来改变, 有时也为了他人。
【68】I went on to find a new sponsor in the female-led, female-focused Athleta, and they helped me - And they helped me challenge the International Olympic Committee's childcare policy.
我去寻找新的赞助商, 找到了由女性领导、 专注于女性的阿仕利塔, 他们幫助我…… 他们幫助我挑战 国际奥林匹克委员会的育儿政策。
【69】Together, we raised 200,000 dollars for female athletes to be able to afford childcare when they go to races.
我们一起募集了新台币 600 万元 让女性运动员负担得起 她们比赛时的育儿费用。
【70】Because women have babies, and these children don't disappear when the races begin.
因为女性会有孩子, 这些孩子不会在比赛开始时消失。
【71】I made it back to the Olympics two years after giving birth.
我分娩后两年回到了奥运,
【72】I won a gold and a bronze.
我赢得一金一铜。
【73】And I became the most decorated American track and field athlete of all time.
我成了美国有史以来 最有成就的田径运动员。
【74】All while my daughter was watching.
我的女儿当时正看着这一切。
【75】Audience: Aww.
观众:噢呜
【76】AF: I was running for so much more than for medals or for a time on the track.
艾:我不仅仅为了奖牌 或在跑道上的时光而跑。
【77】I was running as a representation for women and for mothers and for anybody who had been told that their story was over.
我跑是代表着女性和母亲, 代表着任何被告知 他们的故事已经结束的人。
【78】I remember crossing that line in Tokyo and having such a sense of fulfillment.
我记得在东京冲过终点线, 还有那种成就感。
【79】I looked down at my feet and for the first time in my entire career, I wasn't wearing Adidas, I wasn't wearing Nike.
我低头看向我的脚, 那是我整个生涯中第一次, 我没穿爱迪达, 我没穿耐吉,
【80】I was wearing Saysh, the women's footwear brand that I founded, designed for and by women, when I was left without a footwear sponsor.
我穿 Saysh , 那是我创立的女性鞋类品牌, 为了女性、也由女性所设计, 那时我没有鞋类赞助商。
【81】Because I was tired of not being valued or able to show up fully as myself.
因为我受够了价值被看低 或无法完全展现自己。
【82】I learned that my voice has power, and when I bet on myself, change is possible.
我发现我的发声是有力量的, 而且当我相信自己, 改变就是可行的。
【83】During the pandemic, we all saw what happens when that thin line between our professional and personal lives permanently blurs.
在疫情期间,我们都看到 职業和个人生活的界限 永久模糊后会发生什么事。
【84】We have seen women step back, give up, drop out, as having it all became doing it all, and doing it all became impossible.
我们看到女性往后退、放弃、退出, 拥有一切变成做尽一切努力, 做尽一切努力变成不可能。
【85】We have got to stop forcing people to choose between parenting and doing the work that they love.
我们必须停止强迫人们 从亲职和热爱的工作中做选择。
【86】And we've got to stop pretending that we're not making those decisions because the results affect us all.
我们不能再假装 我们不用做那些决定, 因为其结果会影响我们所有人。
【87】Not just women, but men and our children, too.
不只是女性,也包含男性, 还有我们的孩子。
【88】By creating the environment that we all live, work, love and raise our families in.
创造一个环境,让我们都能在其中生活、工作、爱护和养育我们的家庭。
【89】Isn't it past time that we call out the hypocrisy and create a new normal?
我们不是早该抨击伪善, 建立新常态吗?
【90】One with real generosity, humanity and truth at the center, not some misplaced sense of what business is or does.
这个新常态的中心应该有 真正的慷慨、仁慈、真实, 而不是不该在这里的商業想法。
【91】We should say what we will tolerate.
我们应该说出我们能接受什么。
【92】And as we all recover from the pandemic that has flattened us, let's just not rebuild the same version of the broken system that we had before.
当我们从摧残我们的疫情中恢复时, 我们不要只是重建之前失灵的系统,
【93】But let's learn and create something new.
而是学习、创造新的东西。
【94】Each one of us has a role to play.
我们每一人都有自己的角色。
【95】And you don't have to be an Olympian to create change for yourself or for others.
你不必是一位奥运运动员, 也能为自己或他人创造改变。
【96】Everyone in this room can bet on themselves.
所有在这个会场的人都能相信自己。
【97】It will typically happen in moments of fear when you don't see the path forward.
恐惧时,你时常看不清前方的道路。
【98】In my own experience, it was a terrifying decision, but that will be your first clue.
以我自身的经验, 这是一个令人害怕的决定, 但这会是你们的第一个提示:
【99】That feeling of being terrified is your invitation to create change.
恐惧的感受是在邀请你去创造改变。
【100】You have to acknowledge those feelings, you have to brave them, and you have to fight to move forward.
你们必须承认那些感受, 你们必须勇敢面对, 你们必须为往前迈进而奋斗。
【101】It won't be easy.
这不简单。
【102】You will be afraid.
你们会害怕,
【103】Your voice will shake.
你们的声音会颤抖。
【104】But what I can absolutely promise you is that it will be worth it.
但我绝对可以给你们挂保证, 它一定会值得。
【105】Thank you.
谢谢你们。