欢迎光临散文网 会员登陆 & 注册

【细读文本】《拓荒者》文稿精读(1)

2022-11-12 22:38 作者:qazopq  | 我要投稿

舒尔茨是一个幽默的艺术家,他的高明之处在于将社会百态通过小孩们幼稚又幽默的视角来体现出来,博人一乐的同时还能让我们去问自己——到底什么才是最重要的?

——西西弗斯

大家好,今天给大家精读的文章是《花生动画》中的一集文稿:

《拓荒者》又称《五月花号航行者》上映于1988年

视频请点此观看(P5):

如果让我来选择一部最能代表舒尔茨风格的动画篇,我会选择它。在笔者看来,这是一部行文极其流畅的佳作!尤其是他的文稿干净凝练、表达得体。笔者将带大家找出每个段落表达出色的地方。相信经过一番细品。您的英文写作定能更上一个台阶!

在接下来的文章中,黑体加粗代表重点生词,红体加粗代表表达得体的短语,建议摘录。

第一部分:冒险在召唤

五月花号的船员们

The date, Sep 6,1620, just 128 years since Columbus discovered America.

The place, The harbor of Plymouth (普利茅斯港,位于英国西南部) in England, a tiny ship called 'The May flower' is being boarded by 102 people. There are 70 men and women, 32 children, a handful of (不多的) cocks and hens and pets...and a dog. Some of the voyagers are people who today we called Pilgrims. They are leaving their homeland to seek more religious freedom in the new world. 

Some of the passengers known as 'strangers', are merely seeking wealth in the new land. Some are indentured (签约的) servants, and the rest are the crew who sail the 'May Flower'. The Pilgrims have a contract with English merchants who will finance the journey. The Pilgrims and the merchants will share any profits (分红) from the new settlement.

我们今天要讲的故事开始于1620年9月6日,距离哥伦布发现美洲仅128年。故事的地点在英国普利茅斯港,一艘名为“五月花”的小船。这艘船由102人组成,其中包括70名成年人,32名孩子,还有他们携带的一些公鸡,母鸡和宠物......还有一条狗。我们今天称他们为移民者。他们正离开家园,在新世界寻求更多信仰自由。

在这群旅客中,有一些被称为外人的乘客只是为了在新的土地上寻求财富。有的是签约仆人,其余则是“五月花”的水手。这些人与英国商人签订了合同,为这次旅程提供资金支持。他们约定在新地方定居后,所创造的收益双方共享

This, however, is a most dangerous undertaking (重大而艰巨的任务). The voyagers realize that their very lives (珍贵的生命) are at risk. They must cross the treacherous (有潜在危险的) north Atlantic in a very small ship. The journey will take many weeks on the open sea. Men, women and children will be traveling in unbelievably crowded conditions, sharing what little space there is (小之又小的空间) with the precious cargo. The voyagers will hardly have any room in which to sleep and eat, let alone (更不用说) move about.

Many will be leaving loved ones behind. And even if they survive this dangerous crossing, they will arrive at a virtual wilderness (名副其实的荒野). However their belief in God, their desire for freedom from religious persecution (伤害) and their dreams of creating a new world for future generations, all make their Iife-threatening journey a risk worth taking. Their adventures will change the course (发展进程) of American history.

然而,这是一项非常危险的事业。航海者们意识到他们脆弱的生命时刻处于危险。他们必须乘坐一艘非常小的船穿越未知的北大西洋。在公海上将花费数周时间航行。他们将在令人难以置信的拥挤下旅行,与珍贵的货物分享有限的空间。航海家们几乎没有空间睡觉和吃饭,更不用说四处走动了。

许多人将抛下亲人。即使他们成功抵达彼岸,面对他们的是几近荒野。然而,他们相信神灵的保佑,对逃脱迫害的渴望、以及为后代创造一个新世界的梦想,都支撑着他们旅行下去。他们的冒险将改变美国历史的走向


第二部分:艰辛的航程

For the first weeks there are favorable winds (顺风). 'The Mayflower' makes steady progress across the sea. Unfortunately even in good weather, the conditions aboard ship are miserable.There are no sanitary provisions (卫生设施) and very little privacy. Some have to sleep on straw on the floors. Some on board get violently seasick. The children ranging in age from a few months old, to 15, grow restless (不安地)

头几周是顺风。”五月花号在海上稳步前进。不幸的是,即使天气好,船上的情况也很糟糕。这里没有卫生设施,隐私也很少。有些人不得不睡在地板的稻草上。船上有些人剧烈晕船。孩子们的年龄从几个月大到15岁不等,都变得躁动不安

After the first few weeks of favorable winds, the north Atlantic Ocean finally turns its full fury on the tiny 'Mayflower'. Damaging cross winds (与航向垂直的风) and violent storms, continue straining 'The Mayflower' to the breaking point. The passengers are forced to stay inside in the foul-smelling cabins.

在最初几周的顺风过后,北大西洋终于将怒火完全倾泻在小小的“五月花”号。破坏性的横风和狂暴的风暴,使“五月花”号几近破坏。乘客们被迫呆在臭气熏天的车厢里。

Charlie Brown: I'm not feeling well, Linus.

我好难受,莱纳斯。

Linus: I'm not either Charlie Brown.

我也一样,查理·布朗。

Charlie Brown: How much farther do we have to go?

我们还要走多远?

Linus: I'm not sure. I hear someone said we're about half-way.

我不确定。我听有人说我们走了一半了。

Charlie Brown: Oh no...

Lucy: Come on Charlie Brown, shape up! You can't let this little wind bother you.

来吧,查理·布朗,振作起来你不能让这小风打趴你。

这是作者留的彩蛋,你发现了吗?

The storms become so violent that the crew is forced to 'hull' (原指剥去外壳,这里指收起船帆) the ship, to go to short sail or practically no sail at all. This keeps the sails from ripping apart. But now the 'Mayflower' is like a cork, bobbing up and down (上下浮动), helpless on the great ocean.

风暴变得如此猛烈,以至于船员们被迫收起船帆,这样可以防止船帆撕裂。但现在,“五月花”号就像一个软木塞,在大海上无助地随浪漂流

(Crowd) Man overboard,Man overboard...

(群众)有人落水了,有人落水了

Lucy: What was all the yelling about on deck?

他们在甲板上大喊大叫什么?

Linus: They just saved John Howland's life. The storm blew him overboard.

他们刚刚救了总督仆人约翰·霍兰德的命。刚刚暴风雨把他吹落水了。

Charlie Brown: Oh no!

Linus: And now there's another problem.

现在还有一个问题。

Lucy: Now what!!??

又怎么了?!

Linus: We may have to return to England.

我们可能要返航了。

Lucy:Turn back? Are they crazy? After all we've been through?

返航?他们疯了吗?这怎么对得起我们付出的一切?

Linus: The storm damaged one of the mainbeams at mid-ships. The beam is cracked and bowed.

风暴损坏了船中部的一根主梁,横梁开裂并弯曲。

Lucy: So why can't they fix it? Why can't we just go on?

为什么他们不修复它呢?为什么我们不选择前行?

Linus: Some of the crew think our ship has already taken too much of a beating (饱受折磨). At least if we turn and head for home, the winds will be at our back.

一些船员认为船已经饱受摧残了,现在是逆风,返航还来得及。

Charlie Brown: What's going to become of us, Linus?

莱纳斯,我们该何去何从?

Lucy: Well I think it's up to Captain Jones. He's the captain. Let him tell us.

我觉得还是让琼斯船长说了算。他才是我们的负责人。

People: Captain, we can't risk all these livesWe must turn back!

船长,我们不能拿大家的性命冒险,我们必须返航。

Captain: We can fix that thing.We will go on. We've come too far to turn back now.

我们可以把横梁修好,我们已经走了这么远,我们必须坚持下去!

After many hours of debate, a great jack screw  (千斤顶) forces the sprung main beam (错位的主梁)  back into place, there it is secured to the timbers (船板). Two post (木桩) is placed under the main beam to brace (加固) it. 

The Mayflower's Captain Jones has faith in his ship, and the Pilgrims have faith in their God. And they all decide to further risk their lives to reach the New World.

经过几个小时的争论,他们决定用一个巨大的千斤顶将断裂的主梁重新复位。船员们在主梁下用两根柱子加固它。

琼斯船长相信他的船,船员们也相信神明保佑。他们都决定选择希望。


第三部分:发现新大陆

The date is November 9,1620, It is daybreak.

1620年11月9日,现在是佛晓

Patty: Do you miss England?

你想念故土吗?

Pigpen: I really miss my grandmother and grandfather.

我真的想念我的爷爷和奶奶。

Patty: Boy, I really miss my friends. I wonder if there'll be any children in the new world?

天啊,我想念我的朋友。不知道新世界里有没有小孩?

Pigpen: My mother and father seem worried. This must be a really dangerous trip 

我的父母看上去很焦虑,我想这趟旅途一定很危险。

Charlie Brown: How long have we been on this ship, Linus?

我们在船上待多久了,莱纳斯?

Linus: This is our 65th day, Charlie Brown.

这是我们的第65天,查理布朗。

Charlie Brown: Good grief! Nine weeks!

天啊,九周多!

Lucy:I'm going to have a long talk with whoever planned this trip!

我要和制定这次旅程的人好好谈谈

Charlie Brown: Do you think we're going to make it, Linus? I hardly have any strength left.

你觉得我们能成功吗,莱纳斯?我已经筋疲力竭了。

Linus: Charlie Brown. We have to keep faith! 

查理布朗,我们一定要有信心!

Lucy: A bath and some new clothes wouldn't hurt either (对...有好处).

洗个澡换衣服了

Charlie Brown: A lot of the others are starting to give up. They don't think we'll ever get there.

许多人都准备放弃了,他们觉得我们永远也抵达不了那里。

Lucy: We HAVE to get there!

我们必须要坚持下去!

Charlie Brown: Why is that, Lucy?

为什么,露西?

Lucy: Because I have to lodge (正式提出) all my complaints about this terrible trip!

因为我必须要投诉这次可怕的航行!


未完待续 敬请期待

【细读文本】《拓荒者》文稿精读(1)的评论 (共 条)

分享到微博请遵守国家法律