欢迎光临散文网 会员登陆 & 注册

【TED演讲稿】克服拖延习惯的四种有效方法

2023-05-16 10:39 作者:锡育软件  | 我要投稿

TED演讲者:Ayelet Fishbach / 阿耶莱特·斐许巴克

演讲标题:4 proven ways to kick your procrastination habit / 克服拖延习惯的四种有效方法

内容概要:You've got a long list of things you want to do, but there's just one problem: you can't seem to get -- or stay -- motivated. Social psychologist Ayelet Fishbach is here to help. She offers insights on the science of motivation along with tips and cognitive tricks to help you reach your goals while staying happy, healthy and engaged.

你列出了一连串自己想要做的事情,但问题在于,你似乎难以激发或保持自己的动机。社会心理学家阿耶莱特·斐许巴克在此为你解惑,向你提供动机科学的见解、建议以及认知方法,帮助你开心、健康、投入地实现自己的目标。

*******************************************

【1】Summer break has ended for many of us and you are back at work or at school and have many goals you want to accomplish.

许多人的暑期已经结束, 现在开始上班或上学, 有很多目标等着实现。

【2】This might be a time of motivational struggle.

这段时间也许会有些动机不足。

【3】You find yourself having trouble doing your work, exercising and eating healthily, so you blame yourself for not having more willpower or for procrastinating too much.

你发现自己难以投入到工作中、 保持运动和健康的饮食, 于是你归咎于自己缺乏意志力 或过于拖延。

【4】According to behavioral science, you can stop worrying about your willpower and quit calling yourself "procrastinator."

根据行为科学, 你不必担心自己意志力, 也不必认为自己是“拖延症患者”。

【5】To stay motivated, you need to change your circumstances and outlook, not your personality.

为了保持动机, 你需要改变的是环境和态度, 而不是你的个性。

【6】I'm Ayelet Fishback, a behavioral scientist at the University of Chicago.

我叫阿耶莱特.斐许巴克, 是芝加哥大学的行为科学家。

【7】I've been studying what it takes to be successful in goal pursuit for over 20 years as an academic, a parent and an immigrant.

我一直在研究如何成功实现目标, 并以学者、母亲和移民的角色 对此研究了20余年。

【8】I've also struggled with motivation myself.

我自己也有动机不足的情况。

【9】Let me offer a few interventions that can increase your productivity at work, school and beyond.

我来介绍几种干预方法, 让你提高工作、学习及其他方面的效率。

【10】When monitoring progress, looking back is often the way to move forward.

跟踪进度时, 回顾过去有助于进步。

【11】For any goal, you can look back at what you have achieved, as well as forward at what is still left to do.

实现任何目标, 你都可以回顾自己已经做到的事情, 并且展望尚未完成的事情。

【12】When Minjung Koo and I surveyed people standing in a long line for an amusement park ride in South Korea, we found that when they looked back and saw how far they'd come, they were more motivated to wait.

古敏贞和我曾在韩国游乐园 对排着长队的游玩者做调查, 我们发现,当这些人回头 看到身后队伍有多长时, 他们变得更愿意排队等候。

【13】Back at the University of Chicago, when uncommitted students look back at the materials that they have already covered for a final exam, their motivation to keep studying increased.

回到芝加哥大学, 当还没完成复习的学生 看到自己已经复习过的期末考材料时, 这些学生的学习动机得到提升。

【14】Beware of long middles.

小心漫长的过程。

【15】We call it the middle problem.

我们称之为过程问题。

【16】We are highly motivated at the beginning, we want to reach our goal and we want to do it right.

最初我们总是热情高涨, 希望实现目标,马上着手开始。

【17】Over time, our motivation declines as we lose steam.

随着时间的推移,我们的动机降低, 像泄了气的皮球。

【18】To the extent that our goal has a clear end point, as in the case of graduating with a diploma, our motivation will pick up again toward the end.

当我们的目标迎来清晰的终点时, 例如拿到毕业证, 冲向终点的动机又会重新拾起。

【19】In one experiment, Rima Touré-Tillery and I found that people literally cut corners in the middle of a project.

在一项试验中, 瑞玛.耶耶-提勒里和我发现, 人们总是在执行任务的过程中抄近路。

【20】We handed our participants a pair of scissors and asked them to cut out several identical shapes with many corners.

我们向参与者提供一把剪刀, 要求他们剪出几个相同的多边形。

【21】They cut through more corners in the middle of the task.

参与者在中途最偷工减料。

【22】This solution?

那么应对措施是?

【23】Keep middles short.

缩短过程。

【24】A weekly healthy eating goal is better than a monthly eating healthy goal as it offers fewer days to cheat on your diet.

设立健康饮食的周目标好过月度目标, 这样你在饮食上作弊的日子不多。

【25】It's hard to learn from feedback, especially negative one.

从反馈中汲取经验很不容易, 尤其是负面反馈。

【26】Emotionally, failure bruises the ego.

在情感上,失败使自尊受挫。

【27】We tune out, missing the information feedback offers.

我们只会把反馈当作耳旁风, 错过反馈所提供的信息。

【28】Cognitively, people also struggle.

在认知上,人们是挣扎的。

【29】The information in negative feedback is less direct than the information in positive feedback.

负面反馈的信息通常比 正面反馈的信息更含蓄。

【30】Whereas success points us to a winning strategy, from failure, people need to infer what not to do.

成功给予我们获胜的策略, 而失败只告诉我们不该做什么。

【31】To increase learning from negative feedback, try giving advice to others who might be struggling with a similar problem.

为了加强从负面反馈中学习, 我们可以尝试提供建议 给同样正在经历困难的人。

【32】Lauren Eskreis-Winkler, Angela Duckworth and I found that when students, job seekers and overweight individuals gave others advice on how to succeed in studying, finding a job and eating healthily, they were more motivated to follow through.

劳伦.埃斯克雷斯-温克勒、 安杰拉.达克沃斯和我发现 学生、求职者和肥胖患者 在建议他人如何成功学习、 求职和保持健康饮食时, 更有动力坚持到底。

【33】Support intrinsic motivation.

一定要激发自己的内在动机。

【34】You're intrinsically motivated when you pursue an activity that feels like an end in itself.

当你追求的事情快告一段落时, 你的内在动机会激发出来,

【35】You do something for the sake of doing it.

做完这件事便是你的动机。

【36】If you wish you had a few more minutes to finish your walk by the end of the day, you're intrinsically motivated.

如果你希望再多给自己几分钟, 好让自己在今天之内完成工作, 那说明你的内在动机激发了出来。

【37】If you can't wait to go home, you aren't.

如果你只希望快点回家, 那你并没有激发出内在动机。

【38】To increase intrinsic motivation, start with selecting activities that you enjoy pursuing.

要想提升内在动机, 可以从自己最感兴趣的活动开始。

【39】A workout that you actually enjoy is more likely to become part of your routine.

你真正喜欢的运动 才更有可能成为你日常生活的一部分。

【40】Often people choose the wrong activity.

人们常常选错行动。

【41】In an experiment, Kaitlin Woolley and I asked people to choose between listening to the song "Hey Jude" by the Beatles and listening to a loud alarm.

我和凯特琳.伍利 在一项试验中请参与者听音乐, 让他们在披头士乐队的《Hey Jude》 和嘈杂的闹铃之间做出选择,

【42】Seems like an obvious choice, right?

选择结果显而易见,对吧?

【43】But the majority of the people chose the alarm because it paid more.

但大多数人选择了闹铃, 因为这个选择的报酬更高。

【44】Later, these people regretted their choice.

而不久后, 这些人都对这个选择感到后悔。

【45】Whether you look back, cut the middle, give advice, support intrinsic motivation, keep in mind, success does not require changing yourself.

不管你是保持复盘、缩短过程、提供建议, 还是激发自己的内在动机, 一定要记住, 成功并不要求你改变自己,

【46】To stop procrastinating, modify your situation and outlook.

为避免拖延, 请改变你的环境和态度。

【47】Whitney Pennington Rodgers: Thank you so much, that was wonderful.

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯: 感谢您精彩的演讲。

【48】And I'd love to get into some of the pieces that you suggested.

我想深入了解一下您给的这几条建议。

【49】I think maybe one place to really start is this idea of intrinsic motivation.

也许我们可以从内在动机讲起,

【50】So could you talk a little bit about intrinsic motivation?

您可以再讲讲内在动机吗?

【51】What is it and why is it so important?

内在动机是什么,为什么这么重要?

【52】AF: Yes, intrinsic motivation is critical for success, because intrinsic motivation is the things that we are getting from doing the activity.

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克:没错, 内在动机对成功至关重要, 这是因为内在动机 来自于我们所做的事情本身。

【53】An activity is purely intrinsically motivating when it's an end in itself, when it doesn't even make sense to ask, "Why do I do it?"

纯粹由内在动机驱动的事情, 其本身就是我们所追求的目标, 甚至不需要问,“我为什么要这么做?”

【54】I do it because I like doing it.

我这么做,就是因为我喜欢这么做。

【55】Well, when we try to motivate ourselves, usually we have some goals that are not purely intrinsically motivating.

我们尝试鼓励自己时, 有些目标通常 并非完全依靠内在动机实现。

【56】Like, I need to finish this project at work, or I need to study for this class.

例如,我需要在上班时完成这个项目, 或我要为这堂课学习。

【57】But still, there is some level of intrinsic motivation.

但在某程度上还是存在内在动机的,

【58】It might be interesting, OK?

例如,这可能很有趣,

【59】It might be fun.

这可能很开心,

【60】It might be energizing.

这可能予人能量。

【61】And the more I feel like doing this thing is an end in itself, the more motivated people are going to be.

我越觉得这件事是我的目标, 我就越受到鼓舞。

【62】Now, let me also add that this is not intuitive for people.

我还想补充一点, 这不是凭直觉得到的。

【63】I've mentioned that when we ask people to choose between two activities, they went for the activity that paid more and not for the one that they were more likely to enjoy and actually stick at that job later.

我刚刚提到,当我们让人二选一时, 人们选择了报酬更高的选项, 放弃了自己更享受的选项, 然后坚持到底。

【64】We see that there are two mispredictions.

我们发现有两个误判。

【65】People think that other people don't care about intrinsic motivation as much as they do, and they think that they themselves will not care about intrinsic motivation as much as they end up caring.

很多人以为别人 和自己一样不在乎内在动机, 以为自己不在乎内在动机, 是从一而终的。

【66】And that can explain a lot of the professional choices that we make that are not ideal, choosing the wrong workout regimen, the wrong healthy diet for ourselves

这就解释了为什么很多职业选择 并不理想。 选了错误的锻炼时间、 健康但错误的饮食,

【67】because we don't quite appreciate how important it is to choose something that is not only a means to an end, but also feels like the end by itself.

都是因为我们没有意识到选择的重要性, 我们应该选择的事情, 不仅是达成目标的手段, 而且是目标本身。

【68】WPR: Since we're talking about some of the things you shared in the talk, I'd love to also go back to another piece you mentioned there, which is just about negative feedback.

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯: 我们在讨论您之前分享过的内容, 我还想请教一下您提到的另一条建议, 是关于负面反馈的。

【69】And you said that it's hard for people to learn from negative feedback.

您认为我们不容易从负面反馈中汲取经验,

【70】So could you talk a little bit more about that and what sort of feedback, how we can lean more into this, the positive feedback as you describe?

您可以就此展开说说吗, 例如什么样的反馈, 我们如何倚靠这种反馈, 也就是你所说的正向反馈?

【71】AF: Absolutely.

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克:当然。

【72】So let me first say that I don't say that there is not much in negative feedback.

首先,我的意思不是说 负面反馈没有太多可以学习的东西。

【73】There is.

恰恰相反,

【74】There are important lessons in negative feedback.

负面反馈中有很多重要的经验。

【75】However, it's hard to learn those lessons.

但是我们不容易从中汲取经验。

【76】And it's hard, first, because emotionally, negative feedback feels bad.

原因是,首先情感上, 负面反馈让人不好受。

【77】So we disengage, we tune out.

因此我们不再理会,置身事外。

【78】In one of the studies that we ran, we found that people don't remember the feedback and don't even remember their answer when it's negative.

在一项研究中, 我们发现,人们既不记得负面反馈的内容, 也不记得他们当时的反应,

【79】They just disengage with a task, they don't learn.

他们仅仅是摆脱这件事, 而不是从中学点什么。

【80】The other reason that it's harder to learn from negative feedback is much more cognitive.

很难从负面反馈中 汲取教训的另一个原因 是认知上的。

【81】It's not what we expected to hear.

负面反馈不是我们期待的话题,

【82】And so, you know, if you did something, expecting something to happen and then it happened, like, you kind of had a prediction that was supported with what later happened, and you remember it.

如果你做一件事时, 事情朝着你期待的方向发展, 就好像,你的预感 与接下来发生的事情相吻合, 那么你会记得这件事。

【83】When you get negative feedback, it's often not what you expected.

而负面反馈通常不是我们所期待的事情,

【84】And that can be a very confusing experience for people.

而是非常莫名其妙的经历,

【85】And so they just don't learn.

所以人们并不会从中汲取经验。

【86】It is cognitively a harder task to learn from what's not.

在认知上,我们很难 从被人否定的事情中学习,

【87】It's learning by elimination.

但我们确实可以用排除法学习,

【88】So negative feedback is important.

所以负面反馈也是重要的。

【89】There are often unique lessons in negative feedback, not to mention that if we don't learn from negative feedback, we're probably missing just a lot of the information that is out there.

来自负面反馈的经验常常别具一格, 如果我们不从中学习, 我们很可能错过很多客观信息。

【90】And so we need to be able to do that.

所以我们要培养从负面反馈中学习的能力。

【91】And I mentioned giving advice, like, one of the strategies that we can use to learn from negative feedback.

我刚刚提到要为他人提供建议, 也是一个从负面反馈中学习的策略。

【92】We also need to realize that it is so much easier to learn from positive feedback.

我们还要意识到 从正面反馈中学习要容易得多。

【93】So, you know, whenever we can teach someone through positive feedback, they are probably going to be more attentive and better able to learn.

所以我们向别人提供正面反馈时, 这些人可能会更加专注、 更好地从中学习。

【94】WPR: And you talk about that in the way of giving advice and that sort of, puts you in the space of thinking positively towards someone and maybe potentially receiving more positive feedback yourself.

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯: 你提到通过向别人提供建议 可以让自己正面看待别人, 同时自己也可能接收到更正面的反馈。

【95】AF: Yes, and not only it puts you in a position of power and doing something useful for the feedback, helping another person, it also forces you to think about what you have learned, OK?

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克:是的, 这样做不但可以自我赋权, 做一些有利于反馈的事情, 帮助他人, 而且推动自己思考 从中学到了什么,对不对?

【96】I know when we ask people to give advice, in particular people that are struggling, their immediate response is like, "What do I know?"

当我们向别人寻求建议, 尤其向正在经历困难的人寻求建议时, 这些人的反应是,“我知道些啥?”

【97】'"Why would you ask me?

“为什么要问我?

【98】I'm unemployed."

我连工作都找不到。”

【99】Well, not me, but the person we are asking.

我不是在说自己,只是举个例子。

【100】'"I'm unemployed, Why would you ask me about how to get a job?"

“我没找到工作, 为什么你还问我怎么找工作?”

【101】And you kind of need to remind them, "Well, you know how to get a job because you've been doing that, because you've been struggling."

这时你需要提醒对方, “你知道怎么找工作, 因为你一直在找工作, 并在此期间面对了很多困难。”

【102】And that forces the person to think about what they have learned.

这样的回应促使对方思考 自己从中汲取的教训,

【103】And so we're kind of tackling both the emotional barrier to learning and the cognitive barrier to learning.

借此解决从负面反馈中学习的情感障碍 和认知障碍。

【104】WPR: We have a question here from TED Member Mariam.

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯:TED成员玛丽安 想向您请教以下问题。

【105】They ask, "How do we find perseverance and grit for the dreams and goals that take time?"

“我们怎样才有毅力和勇气 成就长远的梦想和目标?”

【106】So how do we redefine the timelines and bring that into our life?

也就是说,我们怎么重新定义时间线 并把它应用到生活中?

【107】AF: Oh, Mariam, that's a real problem, right?

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克: 玛丽安,这个问题非常具有现实意义,

【108】Because ...

因为……

【109】Because of the middle problem, right?

因为这关乎过程问题。

【110】Because we are excited when we start on something, we are excited when we are about to achieve an important milestone or the ultimate goal.

我们刚开始做一件事时会很兴奋, 我们达到重要的里程碑时会很兴奋, 实现最终目标时也会很兴奋,

【111】And in the middle, we lose steam.

但是在做这件事的过程中,我们会萎靡不振,

【112】We lose our motivation.

我们会缺乏动机。

【113】And what I would say is, break your goal into sub-goals.

我想说的是,请把你的目标 分解成几个小目标。

【114】Saving for retirement is, you know, my ultimate example.

以我为例,储存养老金是我的终极目标。

【115】Saving for retirement is really a hard goal because you need to start working on this goal when you are so far from completing the goal, OK?

储存养老金其实是个很难实现的目标, 因为从开始执行 到目标完成,要经历很长一段时间。

【116】When it seems like it's going to be a different person, that they don't really know that you would benefit from pursuing this goal.

这个过程中自己也可能前后不一, 甚至变得不确定自己是否可以从中获益。

【117】But you can think about your annual savings, how much did you save this year for retirement, not how much you're going to save in total.

但你可以思考一下每年的储蓄, 每年给自己存了多少养老金, 而不是总共给自己存了多少养老金。

【118】Exercising goal.

还有运动目标,

【119】People talk about a weekly exercising goal.

大家通常讲的是每周的运动量。

【120】Now, clearly you do not just want to exercise this week.

显然你不仅在这周运动,

【121】You will have that goal again next week.

下周也会完成相同的运动量。

【122】Well, you set the weekly exercise goal so it has a beginning and an end and very short middle.

定好每周的运动目标, 这样的目标有清晰的起点、终点, 以及一个非常短暂的过程。

【123】School is an interesting one because it is actually easier in higher education where we break the year more clearly into terms which are relatively short.

上学也是个有趣的例子, 高等教育实际上更容易 在每学年设置相对较短的学期,

【124】So there is not much of a middle.

因此学期时长不算太长。

【125】And for kids, they have the long year, which is kind of hard, like, you start in September so maybe you are excited on the first week and then you will be again excited in June when the school year is about to end.

但对于儿童来讲,他们的学年更长, 会比较辛苦, 可能在九月份开学第一周激动不已, 然后在次年六月份激动不已, 因为这一学年马上结束。

【126】But there's such a long middle.

但学期时长非常长。

【127】Break it into a weekly goal, a monthly goal, something that has a short middle and that is not long-term.

把目标分解成每周目标, 每月目标, 让执行这些目标的用时短一些, 不要太长。

【128】People are not good at pursuing something where the benefits are very far.

人们不擅长追求过于遥远的好处。

【129】WPR: I mean, in your research, have you found that people of different backgrounds, you know, by age or gender or race, that they experience motivation differently or that there are certain strategies that are more helpful?

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯:在你的研究中, 有没发现不同背景的人, 例如不同年龄、性别和种族, 他们产生的动机不同, 或者说,有一些更有用的策略?

【130】AF: There is a lot of research on developmental effects.

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克: 关于发育影响的研究有很多。

【131】You brought up several other variables that just get me thinking in like, ten different directions right now.

你提到的这些变量让我产生了 十个不同方向的想法。

【132】So let me focus on the age.

我先重点说说年龄。

【133】There are some really interesting developmental effects.

有一些很有趣的发育影响。

【134】Self-control develops with age, so the ability to put aside something because there is something more important that you want to do, that's something that develops into your 20s

自控力随着年龄增长而发展, 让人能够搁置一些事情, 因为有其他更重要的事情等着完成, 这种自控力在我们20来岁的时候发展,

【135】and that suggests that maybe there is another reason why we should stop calling our teenagers "procrastinators"

这也许意味着正因如此, 我们不该称呼青少年为“拖延症患者”,

【136】and blaming them for lack of self-control.

或指责他们缺乏自控力,

【137】They are still developing it.

因为青少年的自控力仍在发展中。

【138】At a later age, we see that as people's resources, our physical resources are on the decline, then there are new challenges.

年纪稍微大点时, 我们发现人类的资源, 例如自然资源正在变少, 这带来新的挑战。

【139】And I briefly touch the idea that you often need to find a compromise between several goals, and you need to think about how you pursue several goals at the same time.

我简单地引出这个话题, 想表示你常常需要 在平衡不同的目标时选一个折中方法, 思考怎样才能同时实现好几个目标。

【140】In research, we often look at this in terms of finding activities and we refer to them as multi-final.

在研究中, 我们常常通过行动调查来研究这一点, 我们称之为多目标,

【141】They achieve more than one goal.

实现的目标不止一个。

【142】It's like, my example is bringing lunch from home to your office.

举个例子, 你从家里带午饭到办公室,

【143】This is healthier and saves you time and it's often better food, at least for me, OK?

吃得更健康、更省时, 同时食物更美味, 至少对我来说是这样的,对吧?

【144】So you achieve several goals at the same time.

因此好几个目标同时达到。

【145】With older age, often you need to give more thought into how to choose activities that allow you to interact with other people while also getting your daily exercise, while also maybe enjoying the fresh air outside, just bringing more to the same activity because maybe there's just less resources.

年龄稍大时, 你的思考重点更多摆放在怎么做, 才能与其他人交往的同时, 保持日常锻炼, 保持户外运动, 让同一件事发挥更多的价值, 因为资源变少了。

【146】We also see that you need to drop some goals in your life.

我们还发现, 人们不得不舍弃一些人生目标。

【147】And you know, we always drop goals when they are no longer useful for us.

我们总是放弃那些对我们 不再有用的目标。

【148】So maybe you used to run and at one point that didn't feel right for your body, you were able to do it and you had to switch to a different exercise.

例如,你以前常常跑步, 但后来发现跑步对你的身体不好, 即便你能够跑步, 你也不得不换一项运动。

【149】And people often have crises when they need to switch from one goal to another, but goals need to be dropped.

从一个目标转换到另一个目标时, 人们常常觉得困难, 但有时候需要我们断舍离。

【150】WPR: Well, TED Member Ron asks a question about progress.

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯:TED成员罗恩 想要请教一个关于进度的问题。

【151】They want to know, "What do you do if you look back over the last week or month, and you're disappointed in the progress you've made.

这个问题是, “如果对自己上周或上个月的进度 感到失望,那要怎么办,

【152】How do you move forward from that feeling?"

怎样才能让自己摆脱失望,继续前进?”

【153】AF: So you can choose whether to look back or to look forward, Ron, right?

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克:罗恩, 你可以选择回看还是展望,对不对?

【154】At any point, it's completely up to you.

无论如何,这都取决于你自己。

【155】You can look at what you achieved.

你既可以关注自己实现的目标,

【156】You can look at what is still missing.

也可以关注自己尚未完成的事情,

【157】And you can kind of try to see what's motivating for you.

你可以看看哪种方式更能鼓舞到你。

【158】If you are disappointed with the progress that you have made, now you have the choice how to frame your disappointment.

如果你对自己的进度感到失望, 那么你有权决定如何看待这种失望。

【159】Is it lack of commitment or lack of progress?

你失望的是没能遵守承诺, 还是没能完成进度?

【160】Now let's think about it.

我们一起思考一下这个问题。

【161】If it's lack of progress, then, you know, your disappointment is healthy, OK?

如果失望的是没能完成进度, 那么你的失望并非坏事,知道吗?

【162】That suggests that you should do more.

这意味着你应该做得更多。

【163】You have not made progress, so let's just double the effort, let's work harder.

你没能达到相应进度, 所以要加倍努力,更勤快地工作。

【164】If your interpretation is lack of commitment, well, that's not great, because now you assume that you did not make progress because probably you cannot make progress and will never make progress.

如果你对失望的理解 是自己没能遵守承诺, 那不是一件好事, 因为你认为自己没达到目标进度的原因 是你无法做到且永远做不到。

【165】And we can see how that kind of thinking is not very healthy.

因此这个思考方式不太积极。

【166】And so what we find in studies is that when people frame past failures, or some setbacks as lack of progress, that increases motivation.

我们的研究结果表明, 如果人们把过去失败的经历 或遭遇的挫折视为进度上的缺失, 那么其动机能够提高。

【167】'"I did not exercise yesterday, I should definitely exercise today."

例如,“我昨天没有运动, 今天必须运动。”

【168】When they think about this lack of commitment, this is where we see problem.

如果视为没能履行承诺, 那问题就来了。

【169】'"I did not exercise yesterday.

“我昨天没有运动,

【170】I might not have it in me.

我可能没这个本事,

【171】Maybe I will never be able to be the person that I wanted to be."

我大概永远都无法成为理想中的自己。”

【172】It's up to you.

这取决于你如何看待问题,

【173】The framing is something that you can choose.

看待问题的方式是你可以选择的。

【174】WPR: Well, one member asks about procrastinating for fear of failing.

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯:有一位成员想了解 因为惧怕失败而导致的拖延。

【175】Do you have any tips for dealing with that?

您对这个问题有什么建议吗?

【176】AF: Yes, there is some literature on what we call "self-handicapping."

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克:有的, 有一些关于“自我设限”的文献。

【177】And self-handicapping is an interesting phenomenon.

自我设限是一个有趣的现象。

【178】It's like the student that purposely did not sleep the night before the exam so that if she doesn't do well, she can blame the circumstances.

举个例子,学生在考前一晚故意不睡觉, 如果考得不好, 学生就可以归咎于没睡好。

【179】She can say, "Well, I was too tired to do well."

学生可以说, “我太累了,所以没发挥好。”

【180】And we see that sometimes people do that because they're afraid to try because they are afraid about what failure might mean for who they are.

我们发现人们有时这样做, 是因为他们害怕尝试, 害怕失败可能给自己产生影响。

【181】I think that as a society, we should probably just have healthier relationships with setbacks.

我认为一个社会中, 人们也许应该与挫折建立更加良好的关系。

【182】There is a lot of work in motivation science about how to learn from failure, how to learn from a setback.

动机科学中有许多研究 是关于如何从失败和挫折中学习的。

【183】Probably the basic thing is to understand that there are lessons in there, OK?

可能重要的是,明白失败和挫折里 有我们值得学习的地方,对吗?

【184】That that was not a wasted experience.

它们不是白白浪费的经历,

【185】That made me the person that I am, that enriched me somehow.

而是塑造我、充实我的经历。

【186】Think about it.

你想想,

【187】If you try to cook something, and you burn the dish, well, you don't have dinner, but you learned something about cooking, OK?

你尝试做一道菜时,菜糊了, 虽然你吃不成这道菜, 但你学到了一些烹饪技巧,对吧?

【188】And think about what you have learned.

想象你从中学到的东西。

【189】WPR: Yeah, yeah.

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯:是的,没错。

【190】Well, I mean, I'm sure we have a lot of people on who are part of teams or, you know, working in groups and TED Member Colm, they ask about how you can motivate and unstick a group of people, a team.

我相信很多人 在团队里工作,或者是小组成员。 TED成员科尔姆 想请教您如何激励团队,使团队成员独立。

【191】They lead multiple medium-sized teams and sometimes can sense that they're feeling a lack of motivation among the team members.

科尔姆领导几个中型团队, 有时感受到团队成员缺乏工作动机。

【192】AF: Yeah, well, the larger the team, the larger the problem with motivation.

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克:确实,团队越大, 动机缺乏的问题越大。

【193】Basically, this is what we call "social loafing."

基本上,我们称之为“社会性懈怠”。

【194】When there are many people that can do the work, then we all tend to leave the work to someone else.

一项工作有很多人都能够完成时, 人们往往把这项工作交给别人去做。

【195】And we see these effects really increasing very rapidly with the size of the team.

这种做法随着团队扩大而剧增。

【196】So there will be less social loafing in a team of two people and much more when it's a team of ten.

因此,社会懈怠在两人团队里更少见, 在十人团队里更常见。

【197】We know that since basically Ringelmann, a French engineer, ran studies, so in some studies with men pulling a rope at the beginning of the 20th century, as you can imagine, when several men pull a rope together, they invest less effort, than when they do it by themselves.

我们了解这点基本上是因为 法国工程师林格尔曼做的一些研究。 20世纪初几项关于男子拉绳的研究中, 正如你所想, 好几个男人同时拉绳子, 每个人花的力气 比自己独自拉绳子时要少。

【198】And we see it in studies all the time.

这个结论一直贯穿各项研究中。

【199】The simplest solution: make sure that you can identify people's contributions.

最简单的解决办法是 确保你能辨别每个人的付出,

【200】That it's not one pile of contribution.

而不是所有人的整体付出。

【201】We know how much each person did.

我们要了解每个人付出了多少。

【202】We can say that, Whitney, this is how much you did, and Ayelet, this is how much you did.

我们可以说,惠妮,这些是你做的, 阿耶莱特,这些是你做的。

【203】We even see this with donation.

这个方法也应用到了捐款上。

【204】So, you know, sometimes you give money to charity and it all goes into some like, large bucket, and your 10-dollar contribution feels like a drop in the ocean.

有时你把钱捐给慈善机构, 这些钱像是倒进了大池子里, 你捐赠的10美元不过是沧海一粟。

【205】Other times, some organizations and charity campaigns, they make sure that they list each donation.

但有时,一些机构或慈善活动 总能保证每一笔捐赠的公示。

【206】So you can see that Whitney gave 10 dollars, and this is much more motivating and likely takes care of the problem with having a large group of people working together toward the goal.

因此你能看到,惠妮捐了10美元, 这让人更受鼓舞, 也许这也能解决 大型团队为同一目标共同奋斗的问题。

【207】WPR: I think sort of, in the same bucket of thinking about positive and negative ways to motivate in groups,

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯:我也有同感, 对于鼓励团队工作的积极和消极方式。

【208】TED Member Hahnsol asks, from an individual perspective, about the difference between positive and negative motivation.

TED成员汉索尔想知道, 如何从个人的角度看待 积极动机和消极动机的不同之处。

【209】You know, "I want to do this"

比如说,“我想做这个”

【210】versus "I need to do this to avoid trouble."

和“我需要做这个以防麻烦”,

【211】Is there one that's better than the other in terms of keeping a person motivated?

哪个更胜一筹,能让人保持动力?

【212】AF: I would say that yes.

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克:我觉得确实,

【213】'"Do" goals are better than "do not" goals.

“做”比“不做”更胜一筹。

【214】Approach goals are better than avoidance goals.

趋向型目标比回避型目标更胜一筹。

【215】What do I mean by that?

这是什么意思呢?

【216】When you invite people to bring more positive thoughts to their lives, this is much easier than when you tell them not to think about something negative.

引导别人多多积极思考自己的人生, 比告诉他们不要有消极的想法 更容易让人接受。

【217】Push away negative thoughts.

推开消极的想法。

【218】When you invite people to bring more healthy foods to their their diet, that's easier than removing foods from their diet.

引导别人多吃健康食品, 比直接丢弃垃圾食品 更容易让人接受。

【219】'"Do not" goals are problematic, in particular when we think about the long run, when we think about doing things more than today and this week.

回避型目标是有问题的, 尤其当我们考虑到长期发展, 考虑到做一件事用时多于一天或一周。

【220】There are two reasons.

原因有二。

【221】One reason is that this approach, these "to do" goals, tend to just bring to mind what you need to do, whereas the "do not" goals tend to bring to mind what you should not do.

第一,这些趋向型目标 会提醒你需要完成的事情, 而回避型目标会提醒你不应该做的事情。

【222】So if you think that you should stop doing something or stop thinking about something, how do you know if you are successful?

如果你总想着拒绝做一件事, 或者干脆不去想这件事, 你怎么知道自己会不会成功?

【223】You ask yourself, "Do I still have this forbidding thought?"

你问一下自己, “我有这种回避型的想法吗?”

【224】Well, by asking, you bring it to mind, OK?

通过问自己来提醒自己,好吗?

【225】The other reason is just reactive, OK?

第二个原因是关于反应。

【226】When I tell you that you should not eat something, this is exactly the thing that you want to eat.

当我告诉你不要吃一样东西时, 你想要吃的偏偏就是那样东西。

【227】Like, don't look to the right.

就像我说,不要往右边看,

【228】Well, everybody's now looking to the right, right?

现在所有人都往右边看,对不对?

【229】Let me also say that the one big advantage of avoidance goals, of "do not" goals, is that they seem urgent.

回避型目标最大的特点, “不要做”一件事最大的特点 就是让这件事看起来很紧急。

【230】If I tell you that you should stop eating red meat, then it seems more urgent than let's say, eat more green vegetables.

如果我说你不能再吃红肉了, 这听起来比你应该多吃蔬菜更加紧急。

【231】And so avoidance goals have their place in our life, they seem urgent.

因此回避型目标 在我们生活中也有用武之地, 这些目标看起来很紧急。

【232】Now, the question was also about like, needs vs. wants, which somewhat overlap with the approach/avoidance, but not totally.

现在,这个问题还关乎到 需求和意愿的对抗, 这在某种程度上与 趋向和回避的关系具有相似之处, 但并非完全相同。

【233】There are things that we feel like we're absolutely required to do like, we might feel that a high school degree is like, "I need to do it. This is absolutely a must."

有些事情我们觉得自己绝对要做, 例如,我们可能觉得 高中学历是“我需要的, 这绝对是必须的。”

【234】Whereas, a higher education, "I want to do that."

然而,高等教育是“我想要的”,

【235】Like, that might be an extra bonus.

感觉像是额外奖励,

【236】That might be a wonderful thing to do.

是一件美好的事情。

【237】And then we find that there are different emotions that are associated with these different goals.

我们还发现,不同的情感 联结着不同的目标。

【238】So, you know, whereas success on a need, successfully pursuing a need is more likely to be associated with feeling relieved and "Oh, I did this."

完成需求性目标的成功, 成功满足需求后, 更多是觉得松了一口气, “哦,我做到了”。

【239】Success on a "want" goal, an aspiration, is more likely to make us proud and make us feel that we have done more than we should have done.

完成意愿性目标的成功,实现自己的抱负, 更多是让自己感到骄傲, 觉得自己所做的一切, 远超过自己应该做的一切。

【240】WPR: TED Member Jo-Neal is just curious about sticking to a schedule and how important that is to reaching a goal and tips for doing that.

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯:TED成员乔尼尔 对执行计划感到好奇, 想了解执行计划对实现目标的重要性 以及其他建议。

【241】AF: Yeah, thanks for asking about schedule.

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克:谢谢这个关于计划的问题。

【242】Many people like to have a "to do" list and kind of, going by the "to do" list.

很多人会列出待办事项清单, 然后根据这份清单走。

【243】Just a personal anecdote.

我分享一则趣事。

【244】When I was debating the many covers for my book, one of them has a "to do" list that was proposed by the publisher.

在决定我一本书的封面时, 其中一个封面选项就是待办事项清单, 由出版商建议使用。

【245】And I said, "Well, I can't have a 'to do' list on the cover because I don't recommend 'to do' lists, and I don't write about 'to do' lists."

我说,“我不能用这个待办事项清单做封面, 因为我既没有推荐使用待办事项清单, 也没有写待办事项清单的相关内容。”

【246】And so you kind of know how I feel about sticking to your "to do" list and the schedule.

因此你大概知道我是怎么看待 按照待办事项清单和计划行事的。

【247】It's good to write down what you want to do.

写下你想做的事情是件好事,

【248】And I actually suggest drawing your goal system so your different goals and relationship between them, whether they help or suppress each other, just that you understand your priorities.

实际上我建议你画一个目标体系, 理清不同目标及其关系, 不管这些目标之间是相辅相成还是相互制约, 这么做都有助于理解事情的优先级。

【249】But then the idea about goals, the beauty about goals, is that they get you going.

但是目标的本质与魅力, 在于促使你前进。

【250】They they give you purpose, they make you intrinsically motivated, they make you engage, you get to connect to other people over goals.

他们给予你奔头, 让你产生内在动机, 让你投入, 在追求目标的过程中你与其他人交流,

【251】You get to feel good.

你自我感觉良好。

【252】Whether you have actually reached all these goals on your "to do" list?

至于你实际上是否实现了 待办事项清单上的所有目标,

【253】Often, who cares, OK?

谁在乎呢,对不对?

【254】It doesn't really matter.

这并不重要。

【255】It matters that you made progress.

重要的是你进步了。

【256】So I'm not a fan of strictly making sure that you checked everything on the list.

所以,我不是清单信徒,不觉得 我们非要按照清单完成所有事项不可。

【257】WPR: We're wrapping up here, and actually there was just one question as a follow up from before, which was just about, if not "to do" list, what's sort of an alternative to that approach?

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯:我们到这儿 就快结束了,最后还剩一个问题, 继上个问题来说, 如果没有待办事项清单, 那有什么可替代方案吗?

【258】AF: A goal system.

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克:目标体系。

【259】Now a goal system is basically you writing down the main goals that you currently want to pursue, OK?

你在一个目标体系中列出主要目标, 那些你正在追求的目标。

【260】So it doesn't need to be in your entire life, but in this time, in the year, like what are the things that are important for me?

这些目标不必是人生目标, 但可以是此时或今年的目标, 例如,对我而言,什么东西比较重要?

【261】And it could be like, in terms of my social relationship, work, projects at home, what are the things that you want to achieve, OK?

也可以是,在社会关系、工作、 家庭任务中, 你想要实现的事情有哪些?

【262】And then what are the activities that serve any of these goals and understand the relationship between these goals, between these activities, being particular on the look for activities that help you achieve several goals simultaneously.

哪些行动 可以达到其中的目标, 了解目标之间的关系, 行动之间的关系, 尤其找到那些可以 帮助你同时实现不同目标的行动。

【263】These are the things that you want to do.

这些是你想要做的事情。

【264】WPR: And just as we're wrapping up here, if there's one thing for folks to take away from this conversation, what do you feel like is the big piece of advice that everyone should apply to their lives?

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯: 问答环节即将结束, 如果听众要从这场谈话中带走一些东西, 你认为所有人都该 学以致用的建议是什么?

【265】AF: You motivate yourself by changing the situation and the framing of the situation.

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克:激发自己的动力, 要么改变环境, 要么改变你看待环境的方式。

【266】It's not about fantasizing that you will be a different person.

不是叫你自我美化,成为与众不同的人,

【267】It's really about changing what surrounds you and how you see that, how you find your outlook of what's around you.

而是改变你的周遭环境、 看待问题的方式, 以及对待周遭环境的态度。

【268】This is basically the lesson, by the way, from the social sciences, so this is not just for motivation, this is how we explain people's behavior in terms of the situation that they are responding to.

这些基本上都是从社会科学汲取的经验, 不仅为了激发动力, 而且为了对人们回应环境的行为作出解释。

【269】And it's very applicable to staying motivated.

这同样适用于保持动机。

【270】WPR: Thank you so much, Ayelet, for joining us today.

惠妮.彭宁顿.罗杰斯:非常感谢 阿耶莱特今天出席我们的活动。

【271】AF: Thanks, everyone, for having me.

阿耶莱特.斐许巴克:谢谢大家邀请我。

【272】Thank you, Whitney, for all these wonderful questions.

谢谢惠妮,谢谢大家精彩的提问。


【TED演讲稿】克服拖延习惯的四种有效方法的评论 (共 条)

分享到微博请遵守国家法律