欢迎光临散文网 会员登陆 & 注册

【TED演讲稿】绝望时期找到希望的三种方法

2023-06-19 20:58 作者:锡育软件  | 我要投稿

TED演讲者:Wajahat Ali / 瓦贾哈特·阿里

演讲标题:3 lessons on hope in challenging times / 绝望时期找到希望的三种方法

内容概要:It can be hard to remain hopeful during seemingly hopeless times. Sharing hard-won wisdom on how to not give up when the going gets tough, writer Wajahat Ali talks about the challenges he faced with his daughter's cancer diagnosis and the COVID-19 pandemic, detailing three actionable things we can all do to find the silver linings in our lives -- and invest in hope where we can. (This talk and conversation, hosted by TED current affairs curator Whitney Pennington Rodgers, was part of an exclusive TED Membership event. Visit ted.com/membership to become a TED Member.)

在看似无望的时期,仍能满怀希望是一件很难做到的事。作家瓦贾哈特·阿里分享了一个得来不易的真知灼见,探讨了如何在困难时期,仍然坚持不懈。他谈到了,在女儿确诊癌症时,在新冠病毒大流行期间,他所面临的种种挑战。阿里详细介绍了三件我们都可以做到的事,这些事可以帮助我们寻找到生活的一线希望。

*******************************************

【1】The last time I addressed this august TED crowd was in 2019 from the main stage in Vancouver, where I was giving my first TED Talk on the case for having children.

上一回我在 TED 发表演说是 2019 年, 在温哥华的主舞台上, 那是我初次在 TED 演说, 主题是生孩子。

【2】And that's where I shared the news I had just received earlier in the week that my then two-year-old daughter, Nusayba, was diagnosed with stage IV cancer and needed a full liver transplant.

那时我分享了我当周 早些时候接到的消息, 我那时两岁的女儿纽赛巴 被诊断出癌症第四期,

【3】So how have your past three years been?

所以,你过去三年过得如何?

【4】As you can imagine, our last three years have been eventful.

各位可以想像, 我们的过去三年很……多事。

【5】However, they have given me some tough, learned, lived experiences and lessons about this ephemeral thing we call hope.

然而,这三年给了我一些艰难的、 记取的,亲身体会到的经验与教训, 让我了解了所谓的「希望」, 这个转瞬即逝的东西。

【6】And apparently, there is a huge demand for hope right now.

很显然,现在对希望的需求相当大。

【7】In 2022, we're all dealing with multiple crises.

2022 年, 我们大家都要面对多重危机。

【8】A pandemic has killed 900,000 Americans, there's a partial lockdown, there's disinformation, there's income inequality, the rise of white supremacy, people telling people like me, "Go back to where you came from."

已经造成九十万美国人死亡的疫情, 有部分地区封城,有假消息, 所得不均,白人优越主义兴起, 有人会对像我这样的人说: 「滚回你的老家去。」

【9】We have to learn new Greek letters every few months, and oh, yeah, there's climate change.

每几个月我们就得学新的希腊字母, 喔,对,还有气候变迁。

【10】But other than that, things are pretty peachy.

但,除此之外,一切都很好。

【11】And with all of that, you might be asking, "Well, then, why should we be hopeful in such hopeless times, Wajahat?"

在这样的情况下,你可能会问: 「 那,为什么我们应该要在这么无望的时代 保有希望,瓦贾哈特?」

【12】And that is a very valid question.

这样问很合理。

【13】And it's a perfectly fair question.

这是个好问题。

【14】But hope is what allowed me to believe that my daughter would somehow survive.

但,是希望让我能相信,

【15】And she did.

她的确活下来了。

【16】And so if I may, allow me to share briefly three pieces of advice or lessons or things that we can do that gave me hope in hopeless times and that I hope can help you.

可以的话,请容我简短分享 三项建议或经验之谈, 或我们能做的事, 在无望的时期,它们给了我希望, 我希望也能幫到各位。

【17】Number one.

第一,

【18】Tie your camel first.

先绑好你的骆驼。

【19】There's a great saying in Islam, many Muslims know this, that, have faith in God, but tie your camel first.

伊斯兰有一句金句, 许多穆斯林都听过, 对上帝要有信心, 但先绑好你的骆驼。

【20】As a dad, I felt utterly hopeless with Nusayba's cancer.

身为爸爸,我觉得 我对纽赛巴的癌症完全感到无望。

【21】I'm the dad, I'm supposed to fix things.

我是爸爸,我应该要把事情搞定的。

【22】But I couldn't fix cancer.

但我搞不定癌症。

【23】Cancer plays for all the marbles.

癌症所向无敌。

【24】It's a relentless, brutal, remorseless killing machine.

它是无情、残酷、 毫无慈悲的杀人机器。

【25】It does not care about your vacation plans.

它不在乎你的假期计画。

【26】It does not care about your bucket list.

它不在乎你的心愿清单。

【27】It does not care about your Netflix queue.

它不在乎你的 Netflix Queue 分享空间。

【28】It comes for everything.

它什么都不通融。

【29】Then, coronavirus.

接着,新冠肺炎病毒!

【30】Awesome.

超威。

【31】How do I defeat coronavirus? A 41-year-old, middle-aged, slightly overweight male with flat foot.

我要怎么打败新冠肺炎病毒? 我只是个四十一岁、

【32】It's easy to feel helpless, out of control, adrift.

很容易就会感到无助、 失控、茫然无所依。

【33】But at the end of the day, try letting go of what you can't control and just focus on what you can control.

但,到头来, 试着放掉你无法控制的, 专注在你能控制的。

【34】The simple stuff.

简单的事。

【35】Wear a mask.

戴口罩。

【36】Get vaccinated.

打疫苗。

【37】Take care of your daily chores.

把日常家务做好。

【38】Something that makes you feel that you have some control, some agency in this world.

让你觉得你在这个世界上 多少有些控制权、能动性,

【39】When it came to Nusayba, that meant as a dad, just to be present, you know, building her her Lego Friends set when she asked me to build it.

就纽赛巴的事来说, 意思就是,我这个爸爸 要陪在她旁边, 当她要我组装乐高好朋友系列 玩具组时,就幫她组装。

【40】Watching "Frozen" 39 times, then followed by "Zootopia" 46 times, then followed by "Moana" 56 times.

看了《冰雪奇缘》三十九次, 接着看《动物方程式》四十六次, 接着再看《海洋奇缘》五十六次。

【41】Getting her the tasty frozen yogurt from the hospital vending machine that she loved.

到医院贩卖机幫她买她喜欢的好吃冰冻优格,

【42】Do what you can the best you can.

做你能做的,尽力去做。

【43】Have hope, but tie your camel first.

抱持希望,但先绑好你的骆驼。

【44】And then be like Elsa from "Frozen"

接着,再学《冰雪奇缘》的艾莎,

【45】and let the rest go.

其他的事,就放手吧。

【46】Number two: invest in joy.

第二: 投资喜悦。

【47】Make the intention to actively invest in this thing called joy every day.

要刻意

【48】Almost like a workout. You have to commit to it.

几乎就像是运动锻炼, 你得承诺投入。

【49】It has to be a discipline.

必须要是有纪律的训练。

【50】Build and flex that muscle.

建造、收缩那块肌肉。

【51】The world does not need more masochists or martyrs.

这个世界不需要更多受虐狂或烈士。

【52】It does not need more overworked, overstressed burnouts.

它不需要更多过劳、

【53】New rule for 2022.

2022 年的新规则。

【54】You deserve to have moments of joy, even if they are fleeting, every day that you are alive.

你活着的每一天都应该 拥有喜悦的时刻, 即使它们稍纵即逝。

【55】And you have to take those moments, you have to grab them, you have to seize them.

你得去抓住那些时刻, 你得抓牢它们、紧握它们。

【56】I love food, so I learned how to cook Pakistani food, took my mom's recipes during lockdown.

我爱食物, 所以封城期间,我用妈妈的食谱, 学会如何做巴基斯坦菜。

【57】My kids love Lego, so that means now I love Lego.

我的孩子喜欢乐高, 那就表示现在我也喜欢乐高。

【58】I love drinking chai. I make a cup of chai every day, it makes me happy.

我喜欢喝香料奶茶。每天 泡杯茶就会让我觉得很开心。

【59】No matter how much stress or pain or misery I was going through, I made sure to invest time every day, to invest in things and people and experiences that gave me joy.

不论我经历到多少压力、痛苦或不幸, 我都会确保每天投资一些时间, 投资在让我感到喜悦的 人事物及体验上。

【60】And finally, number three.

最后,第三。

【61】I would recommend, humbly, invest in the narrative of hope because the alternative is apathy and cynicism.

我会虚心地建议, 因为其他可供选择的 就是漠视和愤世嫉俗了。

【62】Investing in hope is painful.

投资希望是很痛苦的。

【63】It means opening yourself up to the possibility of pain, betrayal and disappointment.

那意味着要把你自己打开, 接受痛苦、背叛以及失望的可能性。

【64】It's easier to court cynicism, right?

追求愤世嫉俗就容易许多,对吧?

【65】You expect nothing, so you lose nothing.

没有期望,就没有失望。

【66】But it also means you have resigned yourself to the cheap seats.

但那就表示你放任自己在远处观望,

【67】You are a spectator who yells out "Boo,"

你是发出嘘声的观众,

【68】instead of being a participant in the ring where your nose could get bloody, but at least you're pushing the ball forward.

而不是拳击场上可能 被打到流鼻血的参与者, 但至少参与者还有在做点什么。

【69】It means choosing apathy and nihilism, which is comforting and easy, but also lazy and destructive.

那就意味着选择漠视和虚无主义, 但也很懒惰且消极。

【70】During Nusayba's cancer, I used to sit up every night after my family went to sleep and I stayed up till, like, three or four am, I couldn't sleep.

纽赛巴得癌症时,每晚 在家人入睡后我都会坐起来, 我睡不着,到三、四点还醒着。

【71】And instead I imagined, like Doctor Strange in "Avengers: Endgame,"

我反而学《复仇者联盟: 终局之战》的奇异博士去想像,

【72】with the time stone, every possible scenario and outcome, just to prepare myself as a father.

他有时间宝石,就能 看到每种情况和结果,

【73】I had to emotionally prepare for every outcome.

我得为每种结果做好心理准备。

【74】So I used to imagine Nusayba dying.

所以我以前会想像纽赛巴过世了。

【75】I imagined burying her with my own hands.

我会想像自己亲手埋葬了她。

【76】I imagined making the phone call to her grandparents, explaining that she had died, listening to them cry.

我会想像打电话给她的祖父母, 解释她过世了,听他们哭泣。

【77】I imagined living the rest of my life like a shell of a man, but pretending to put a smile on my face because I had a son to raise and now a daughter.

我会想像在我接下来的人生里 我是一具戴上笑脸的行尸走肉, 因为我还有儿子要养, 现在还多了个女儿。

【78】My wife, badass that she is, was also pregnant during Nusayba's cancer.

我那个坏坏的老婆, 在纽赛巴得癌症时也怀孕了。

【79】I had to be prepared.

我得做好准备。

【80】But I also chose to invest in a narrative in which Nusayba lived.

但,我也选择投资在纽赛巴 会活下来的那个可能情境上。

【81】And I imagined seeing her alive with a liver transplant, smiling, regaining her hair, full of joy and life.

我想像能看到她活着, 得到肝脏移植,满面笑容, 开始重新长出头发, 满是喜悦和生气。

【82】I preferred that story.

我偏爱那个故事。

【83】That's the story I invested in, even as we were sitting on the edge of what seemed like a falling cliff,

我投资在那个故事上, 即使当我们已经坐在 悬崖边缘快要掉下去时,

【84】I decided I would put out the lawn chair and at least enjoy the scenery.

我决定我要把草坪躺椅搬出来,

【85】Over 500 people, mostly strangers, chose to sign up to be donors for Nusayba, even people who told me they hated me for my politics.

超过五百人,大部分是陌生人, 选择登记成为纽赛巴的捐赠者, 甚至包括讨厌我的政治观点的人。

【86】They were moved by her story.

他们被她的故事感动了。

【87】Sometimes some people can change.

有时,有些人可以改变。

【88】Sometimes some people can choose to do and be good.

有时,有些人

【89】An anonymous donor, Shawn Zahir, decided to give a piece of his liver to a girl he never met just so she could live.

匿名捐赠者尚恩?札希尔决定 将自己的部分肝脏捐赠给 他从未见过的女孩, 只为了让她活下来。

【90】I'm not Pollyanna.

我不是盲目乐观的人。

【91】I'm not a foolish, wide-eyed, naive optimist.

我不是愚蠢、天真、 幼稚的乐观主义者。

【92】I'm a pragmatist, fully aware of the many challenges and horrors we are facing.

我是务实主义者, 非常清楚知道我们要面临 许多挑战和可怕的事。

【93】But through my own personal experience, if it is at all helpful, I can assure you that walking through this forest of horrors, going on this journey, wherever it may lead, if you choose to invest in hope, it at least makes the ride a bit sweeter and easier.

但,根据我个人经验, 如果有一点幫助的话, 我可以向你保证, 穿越这恐怖的森林, 踏上这段旅程,不论它会通往何处, 如果你选择投资在希望上, 至少会让这段旅程稍微 甜蜜、轻鬆一点点。

【94】And as the wise ram tells Po in "Kung Fu Panda 2,"

如同《功夫熊猫 2》中 羊仙姑告诉阿波的话:

【95】'"Your story may not have such a happy beginning, but that does not make you who you are.

「你的故事可能没有快乐的开头, 但这无法形塑你会是什么样的人,

【96】It is the rest of it, who you choose to be."

而是在接下来的故事里, 你选择要成为什么样的人。」

【97】Right now, survival is victory in this story that we are living.

现在, 在我们所处的故事中, 所谓的胜利就是活下来。

【98】We are alive during a pandemic.

在疫情中,我们活着。

【99】We are winning.

我们就赢了。

【100】And just for that, we should be grateful.

光是这一点我们就应该感恩。

【101】And I hope the choices we make in these challenging times will, Inshallah, God willing, lead to a better story for all of us.

我希望,在这些困难 时期中我们所做的决策, 愿真主愿意,愿上帝愿意, 带我们所有人走向更好的故事。

【102】And I believe that begins with choosing to invest in hope during hopeless times.

而我相信,起点就是要在无望的时期 选择投资希望。

【103】Whitney Pennigton Rogers: Thanks so much for that.

惠妮?潘尼顿?罗杰斯:非常 谢谢,

【104】It was really wonderful to hear, and I think we may even hear Nusayba in the background, which is, I think, exciting.

能听到这些真的很棒。 我们好像可以听到 背景有纽赛巴的声音, 很让人兴奋。

【105】WA: I'm sorry, that's her, it's virtual school, I'm doing the best I can.

瓦:抱歉,是她在上 虚拟学校, 我尽力了。

【106】The wildlings are right there.

野生世界就在那里。

【107】What's keeping us from the wildlings is a very thin wall, so let's pray.

只和我们隔了一道 非常薄的墙,咱们祷告吧。

【108】WPR: I think we talked about this before we started, that we're all at home right now.

惠:在开始之前我们有谈到, 我们现在都在家里,

【109】That's the thing I think we all know.

我们都知道这一点。

【110】So that's what it is.

事实就是这样。

【111】I think before we dive into just talking more about what you've suggested around growing hope, I'd love to start by talking a little bit about your book

我想,在我们更深入讨论你刚才对于发展希望的建议之前, 我一开始想先谈谈你的书,

【112】'"Go Back to Where You Came From," because I think that it will provide a nice foundation for, sort of, understanding your thinking around this and sort of how you've come to really embrace this.

《滚回你的老家》,因为 我想这会是个很好的基础, 协助了解你在这方面的想法, 以及你如何渐渐能够拥抱这一切。

【113】So I guess maybe you could start first by talking about the title of the book.

能否请你从这本书的书名谈起。

【114】You know, it's part memoir, part historical analysis, part how-to guide on being inclusive and creating a place of belonging.

它算是部分回忆录, 部分指南,说明要如何

【115】How did you come up with the title?

你是怎么想出这个书名的?

【116】Why did you choose this for the title of your book?

为什么选用这个书名?

【117】WA: So the title is "Go Back to Where You Came From: And Other Helpful Recommendations on How to Become American."

瓦:书名是《滚回你的老家: 及其他关于如何成为 美国人的实用建议》。

【118】Very deliberate tongue in cheek, both ugly and funny, right?

非常故意的挖苦,又丑陋又好玩,对吧?

【119】Because I believe that's the lived experience of life.

因为我相信那是人生的体验。

【120】But that's the lived experience of many Americans who are still trying to love a country that doesn't love us back.

但,那是许多像我这样的 美国人之亲身体验, 仍不断尝试去爱一个 不用爱来回应我们的国家。

【121】And so how do you respond to that pain?

你要如何回应那样的痛苦?

【122】And some people cry, as you can tell, I laugh.

有些人用哭泣回应, 你可以看得出来,我用的是笑。

【123】And so this book is also an elegy for the rest of us who are still striving to be co-protagonists of this American narrative.

所以这本书也是种哀歌, 献给我们其他人, 还努力想要在这美国故事当中 争取第二主角的其他人。

【124】And the book tries to expand and stretch this country to accommodate all of us to become the multiracial democracy it has to become.

这本书试图扩展延伸这个国家, 来容纳我们所有人, 成为它必须要成为的 多种族民主国家。

【125】Or else I believe it'll all fail.

要不然,我认为它会完全失败。

【126】And it's done with a lot of humor and hope, and throughout the journey, you read the book, you know, I talk about Nusayba's cancer, but there's lots of interesting things that happen to me.

会用许多幽默和希望来谈, 整本书的过程都是如此, 我会谈到纽赛巴的癌症, 但我身上还发生了很多有趣的事。

【127】WPR: To put it mildly.

惠:太轻描淡写了。

【128】WA: Yeah, my life is like a telenovela, like a Mexican soap opera for better and for worse.

瓦:我的人生就像 电视连续剧,墨西哥 肥皂剧,不论是好是坏。

【129】And so I hope that when you get to the end part, where I talk about "invest in hope, but tie your camel first,"

我希望,当你看到最后一部分时, 我会谈到「投资希望, 但先绑好你的骆驼」,

【130】the hope that I give the audience for the future, I don't want it to make it a hallmarky, fake, saccharine, Hollywood ending.

我给予读者的未来希望, 我不想写一个正字标记认证、 虚假、故作多情的好莱坞结尾。

【131】I want you to really, like, I want it to be earned.

我希望你真的……我希望是挣来的。

【132】And you know, the way to earn it is to confront the horrors, confront the challenges, name it, own it.

至于要怎么挣, 就是要面对恐惧, 面对挑战,把它点出来, 处理它,谈论那些痛苦,

【133】Talk about the pain, wear the mileage and the scars.

带着走过的经历和伤疤走下去。

【134】But despite all of that, you still persist, right?

尽管这么辛苦, 你仍然坚持着,对吧?

【135】And because I agree, I mean, what I said in the speech, the five-minute talk that I just gave you, I believe in it.

因为我认同,我的意思是, 我在刚才的五分钟演说中所说的, 我深信不疑。

【136】I've been on all the sides in moments of deep despair.

我经历过各种深刻绝望的时刻。

【137】I've been there, of darkness of pain, and I realize if you tap out, it's over.

我走过痛苦的黑暗, 我了解到,如果你 弃械投降就结束了。

【138】If you tap out, it's done.

投降,就到此为止。

【139】And what I've seen, and we'll probably talk about it because you read the book, in those moments in my life where you feel like it's over, it's done,

而我所见到的, 我们可以 谈谈因为你读过这本书了, 在我人生中的那些时刻,

【140】I'm at the edge of the cliff and I'm about to fall, there's been a plot twist.

我在悬崖的边缘,我就要掉下去了, 剧情却出现了转折。

【141】Like, the the page turns, and with it comes, like, a better story.

好像翻到了下一页, 翻到了一个更好的故事。

【142】And so in the book I mention there was a time where I was completely broke, homeless, my parents were in jail, I was taking care of my grandparents.

所以,在书中,我提到 有段时间我完全破产了, 无家可归 我的父母亲在监狱里, 我要照顾我的祖母和外婆。

【143】And I'm like, there's no way, I couldn't even imagine my future.

我无法想像我的未来,我无法想像

【144】I couldn't imagine living to the age of 40.

我能活到四十岁,

【145】I thought I would be dead by 35. I'm being honest with anyone who's listening.

老实跟大家说,我认为我活不过三十五岁。

【146】My timeline, you know, I imagine a lot, like I said, like Doctor Strange, it ended at 35, I just couldn't imagine it. And I just knew that I would die.

如我刚才所言,我像奇异博士, 有很多想像,而我的时间表 只到三十五岁就结束了, 我无法想像后续,我知道我会死,

【147】It'd be over, and I almost did die.

就结束了,而我真的差点死了。

【148】But here I am, sitting in my home, married to a woman who's way better than me, I married way up.

但我现在坐在我家里, 娶了一个比我好太多的女人, 癞蛤蟆娶到天鹅。

【149】Like, hotter than me, smarter than me, like, it's ridiculous, not even cool.

她比我更性感、更聪明, 很荒谬,一点也不 OK。

【150】And then I got three kids and then Nusayba, who was supposed to die, that's what they told me, she wouldn't make it.

接着,我有了三个孩子,接着 是本来应该不在世的纽赛巴, 他们告诉我她无法活下来。

【151】They said every complication against this girl is happening, you could just hear her chirping right now,

他们说,对这女孩不利的 所有併发症都发生了, 你现在听到叽叽喳喳的

【152】I'm sure you guys can hear her chirping, that's Nusayba.

说话声就是纽赛巴,

【153】So you never know, you never know.

所以,你永远不会知道, 你永远不会知道。

【154】WPR: We have a question that came in from Darcy, where Darcy asked, "The idea of investing in hope is a great one.

惠:我们收到了达西的问题, 达西问:「投资希望的 想法是很棒的想法。

【155】But how can we make it tangible?

但我们实际上要如何做?

【156】You mentioned visualization or avoiding complaining, but how else can we actually bring this to life?"

你提到视觉化想像或避免抱怨, 但还有什么其他方式可以实现它?

【157】WA: It's a very good question, and that's where I say, tie your camel first.

瓦:很好的问题, 这时候我就要说,先绑好你的骆驼。

【158】You have to exhaust yourself of every possibility within your control.

你必须要把你能掌控的 所有可能性都尝试过。

【159】You know, and after that, you have to let go.

在那之后,就得放手。

【160】I'll give you an example, I mention it in the book.

让我举个我书中提到的例子。

【161】There was a moment, my parents were in jail.

有一段时期,我父母在牢里。

【162】I'm taking care of my grandparents, my grandmothers, who used to live with me.

我要照顾祖母和外婆, 她们以前和我同住, 我是唯一的孩子。

【163】I'm an only child.

我得处理家里的事業,

【164】I have to care of the family business, I have to pay the lawyer.

我得处理家里的事業, 我得付律师费,

【165】It's post-9/11, my community turns vicious and cruel.

那时是九一一事件之后, 我的社区变得很恶毒和残酷。

【166】Bad news travels fast, ladies and gentlemen, bad news travels fast.

各位先生女士,坏事传千里。

【167】I'm surgical with my budget.

我的预算做得超精准。

【168】I have an Excel sheet.

我有张 Excel 试算表。

【169】I've got to pay all the bills.

我得支付所有的帐单。

【170】According to my Excel sheet, after I withdrew the 20 dollars from Wells Fargo on the corner of Warm Springs and Mission,

根据我的试算表, 在我从暖泉大道及传教大道 路口的富国银行提取 二十美金之后,

【171】I was supposed to have 71 dollars left.

我应该只剩下七十一美金。

【172】I go to the ATM of Wells Fargo.

我到富国银行的自动提款机,

【173】I take out the 20 bucks, I get the receipt.

我取出二十元,拿了收据。

【174】I look at the bottom, instead of 71 dollars, it was 00.03.

我看向收据最下方, 不是七十一美金, 是 00.03 美金。

【175】I had 20 dollars, 00.03, I had to pay the bills, pay the lawyer, take care of my family.

我有二十美金, 我得付帐单、付律师费, 照顾我的家人。

【176】And I swear to you, at that time ...

我发誓,那时……

【177】I mean, honestly, I said: "I have done everything in my power.

老实说,我说:「我能做的都做了。

【178】I am exhausted.

我累坏了。

【179】What can I do with three cents?"

我能拿三分钱做什么?」

【180】I didn't even get angry, I didn't get upset.

我甚至没有生气, 没有沮丧,我记忆犹新,

【181】I remember this vividly, it was a beautiful Bay Area day, anyone who lives there knows, 4pm, little bit of a windy breeze.

那天的湾区天气很好, 那里的人都知道, 下午四点,有点微风。

【182】The sun was still there, it was just idyllic.

太阳还在,就像田园诗一样。

【183】And I remember I started laughing, look at the receipt, and a couple of people behind me were trying to figure out what's wrong with this guy.

我记得我看着收据,开始大笑, 我后面的几个人都 搞不懂这家伙是有什么问题。 因为我不知道该怎么办, 我就咯咯地笑了起来,

【184】Because I didn't know what to do, I just chuckled, I had three cents left.

我只剩下三分钱,所以我就这样做:

【185】So this is what I did.

我拿着二十美金到对街,

【186】I took the 20 dollars, went across the street and decided to splurge.

我拿着二十美金到对街,决定要挥霍一下。

【187】I went to Subway and had a Subway supersized meal, foot-long tuna sandwich with all the workings and avocado.

我进了 Subway, 吃了一顿 Subway 的超大特餐, 一呎长的鲔鱼三明治,加了 酪梨和所有能加的东西。

【188】And then I decided to have two chocolate chip cookies.

接着,我决定要点 两块巧克力饼干。

【189】Then I went next door and had -- what is a Venti?

接着我到隔壁间买

【190】What's the largest one at Starbucks?

特大杯吗?星巴克最大杯的叫什么?

【191】WPR: I think Venti, I don't drink coffee.

惠:我想是特大杯,我不喝咖啡。

【192】WA: Venti caramel frappe with extra caramel drizzle, right?

瓦:特大杯焦糖星冰乐 再额外淋上焦糖。

【193】And I had now 20 dollars became 10 dollars.

我的二十美金变成十美金了。

【194】I went home, and I told my grandmother, I said, "I've done everything I possibly could.

我回到家,我跟祖母说: 「我已经尽力而为。

【195】There's nothing else I can do.

没什么我能做的了。

【196】We have 10 bucks left, I'm sorry."

我们只剩下十块钱,很抱歉。」

【197】I had some Dal Chawal that night watched a Netflix movie.

那晚我们吃了一些印度米,

【198】And I remember, I said this in the book, I let go.

我记得我在书中有说,我放手了。

【199】There's nothing else I could do.

没什么我能做的了。我完全放手了。

【200】I completely let go.

我说,阿拉,不论发生什么事, 若真主愿意,就都交给你了。

【201】I said, Allah, whatever happens, Inshallah, I leave it up to you.

我说,阿拉,不论发生什么事, 若真主愿意,就都交给你了。

【202】I've done everything within my powers, like, everything I could possibly think of, I've done.

我尽力而为了, 我能 想出来的我都做了。

【203】This is it, like, you want to save me, save me, you don't want to save me, whatever, I enjoyed my Subway meal.

就这样,想救我就救我, 不想就拉倒,我要享受我的潜艇堡。

【204】And I remember, this is really interesting, I had the best night's sleep that night that I have ever had in my life.

我记得,这很有趣, 那晚是我这辈子睡得最好的一晚。

【205】I remember that sleep to this day.

至今我都还记得那晚的睡眠。

【206】I have prayed for that sleep.

我祈求能有那样的睡眠,

【207】I felt like I was a baby in my mother's womb.

我觉得我像个小婴儿,睡在母亲的子宫里,

【208】I tried to wonder why.

我很纳闷为什么。

【209】It's because I knew that I did everything within my powers, I exhausted myself, and I let it go.

那是因为,我知道 我已经尽力而为了, 我已竭尽所能,我就放手了。

【210】And then what happened, somehow, I got a loan and 2,500 bucks came.

接下来发生的是,我拿到了 两千五百美金的贷款。

【211】And the story continued.

故事继续延续下去了。

【212】And so when you're saying about doing something tangible, it's not just me saying that like, you have to have some feeling of control and autonomy in what is a world where you feel adrift and the ground is shifting beneath your feet.

所以,说实际上要如何做, 并不只是我说…… 你得感觉自己有控制权和自主权, 即使在这个世界上, 你觉得茫然无所依, 当下的处境是如何地变动。

【213】Those small chores that you take for granted, they'll give you order, some discipline.

那些被你视为理所当然的日常小事, 能够给予你秩序,一些纪律。

【214】I'm making that chai. I'm painting this.

我泡那杯香料奶茶,我油漆这里,

【215】I'm feeding my children. I took out the trash.

我要给孩子吃东西,我要倒垃圾。

【216】I did some work today.

我今天做了一些事。

【217】I can control this. I did this with my hands.

我能控制这些,我用双手做的。

【218】I'm still alive, right?

我还活着,对吧?

【219】And then you plot and you do the best you can, and then you let go.

接着,策划并全力以赴, 然后就放手吧。

【220】And I think those daily chores, that daily routine, that you establish gives you a sense of rhythm, at the very least, says, "The world can take everything, but it won't take this.

我想,那些日常家务,你所建立的 能给你节奏感,最少最少,你能说: 「世界可以夺走一切,

【221】It won't take my delicious cup of chai that I made with my own hands.

它夺不走我亲手泡的这杯美味茶饮。

【222】It won't take this little plant I plotted outside.

它夺不走我种在外面的这株小植物。

【223】It won't take my love for my kids.

它夺不走我对我孩子的爱。

【224】It won't take that from me.

它夺不走这些。

【225】Not today, death, not today."

今天不行,死神,今天不行。」

【226】So I hope for whoever asked that question, I hope that was hopeful.

不论是谁问的问题,我希望 这些能幫助你保持希望。


【TED演讲稿】绝望时期找到希望的三种方法的评论 (共 条)

分享到微博请遵守国家法律