【TED演讲稿】重构资本主义的道德蓝图
TED演讲者:Manish Bhardwaj / 马尼什-巴德瓦吉
演讲标题:A moral blueprint for reimagining capitalism / 重构资本主义的道德蓝图
内容概要:We know capitalism exacerbates injustice and inequality worldwide. So how can we fix it? Professor and social entrepreneur Manish Bhardwaj thinks we need to integrate "moral clarity" -- which he defines as "doing the right thing because it is right, and not from fear of sanction or in expectation of reward" -- into society at a foundational level. In this practical talk, he explains how to use the language of moral clarity as a compass for organizations, communities and our personal lives -- and how it could help create a more just world.
我们知道资本主义加剧了全世界的不公正和不平等。那么,我们如何才能解决这个问题?身为教授、社会企业家的马尼什-巴德瓦吉(Manish Bhardwaj)认为我们需要将 "明确的道德观"这一概念纳入社会的基础层面——他将其定义为 "做正确的事,是因为它本身是正确的,而非出于对制裁的恐惧或对得到回报的期待"。在这个讲座中,他解释了如何使用明确道德观的相应语言作为组织、社区和我们个人生活的指南针——以及它如何能够帮助我们创造一个更加公正的世界。
*******************************************
【1】Folks, in 2022, we know capitalism has a problem.
朋友们,我们知道:在 2022 年, 资本主义有一个问题。
【2】The system that undergirds much of our way of life in the West is exacerbating injustice and inequality.
支撑我们西方人 绝大多数生活方式的系统 正在加剧不公正和不平等。
【3】We know that women still get paid less than men.
我们知道: 女性的收入仍然低于男性。
【4】This is 2022.
这就是 2022 年。
【5】And the share of the bottom half of the world’s population and wealth is just two percent.
而世界上下半层人口的财富占比 仅为百分之二。
【6】We know that the playing field is not level.
我们知道:竞争环境并不公平。
【7】And yet, even as we are awash in new ideas and thinking and approaches, technologies and gadgets, we somehow do not seem to know how to address the fundamental problems at the heart of it all.
但即使我们的身边 充斥着新的想法、思维和方法、 技术和小工具, 我们似乎也不知道 如何解决这之中的核心根本问题。
【8】Now I can’t claim to have all the answers, but today I want to talk to you about a tool that can help us design more just systems.
现在我不能说我找到了所有的答案, 但今天我想和你们聊一个工具, 它可以帮助 我们设计出更为公正的系统,
【9】And that tool is moral clarity.
这个工具就是“明确的道德”。
【10】Now, moral clarity is not an ideology.
现在,“明确的道德” 并不是一种意识形态。
【11】It's not righteousness.
也不是正义。
【12】Moral clarity is doing the right thing because it is right and not from fear of sanction or an expectation of reward.
“明确的道德”是指做正确的事情的动机 应当是它本身就是正确的, 而不是因为害怕制裁 或期望得到奖励。
【13】It is clarity of the demands that we are allowed to make of others.
它是指我们 可以对他人提出的明确要求。
【14】It is to never confuse what we ought to do with what we can do.
是让我们永远不要混淆 我们应该做什么和我们能做什么。
【15】No one ought to starve.
没有人应该受饿。
【16】No one ought to be discriminated against.
没有人应该受到歧视。
【17】No one ought to profit from suffering.
没有人应该从痛苦中获利。
【18】These are not personal preferences.
这些都不是个人偏好。
【19】These are moral imperatives that most people believe in --
以上是大多数人都信奉的道德义务——
【20】(Applause) whatever their politics or culture.
(掌声) 与他们的政治或文化无关。
【21】And this is what gives us the basis to build more just organizations, communities and, ultimately, a more just world.
这给了我们打下了一个基础 从而建立更加公正的组织、社区, 并最终建立一个更公正的世界。
【22】So, folks, how do we do it?
那么,朋友们, 我们又该如何实现它呢?
【23】First, if we want justice, let's use the language of justice, the language of right and wrong.
首先,如果我们想要公正, 就要用公正的语言, 它会区分正确与错误。
【24】Take stakeholder capitalism, this notion that a company is responsible to all its stakeholders and to the environment, and not just its shareholders.
以“利益相关者资本主义”为例, 这种观念认为公司 要对其所有利益相关者负责, 对环境负责, 而不局限于它的股东。
【25】How well has it done?
它的收效如何呢?
【26】Well, we have data that shows that as a group, companies that subscribe to stakeholder capitalism did no better supporting their employees in the pandemic than companies that made no such pledge.
我们有数据显示,作为一个群体, 赞同利益相关者资本主义的公司 在新冠大流行中对其员工的支持 并没有比没有作出这种承诺的公司 做得更好。
【27】Why?
为什么呢?
【28】It’s not because stakeholder capitalism is a charade or its ends are not noble or its metrics broken or incentives misaligned.
这并不是因为 利益相关者资本主义是一个骗局, 又或是它的目的不够高尚, 衡量指标出现了问题, 或者激励措施并未同步,
【29】It's because we have been selling stakeholder capitalism as a way to reduce risk and ensure long-term growth and profits.
而是因为我们一直在推销这一概念, 将其作为降低风险、 确保长期增长和获利的一种方式。
【30】Take, for instance: Why should a workplace be diverse?
比如说:为什么 工作场所应该是多样化的?
【31】And this is what I hear all the time: “So it better reflects our customers, allowing us to build better products, so we can improve retention, so we can increase innovation and profit.”
下面是我经常听到的一句话: 这样才能更好地对客户做出反馈, 从而做出更好的产品, 这样我们才能提高员工的归属感, 从而促进创新、提升收益。
【32】Alright. But what if you already have record-setting profits?
好吧。但如果你已经获得了 创纪录的利润呢?
【33】What if your products are already all the rage?
如果你的产品已经风靡一时了呢?
【34】What [about] when there are far easier alternatives to increasing profits than the difficult work of organizational change?
当使用一些替代方案来增加利润 比改变组织更容易时应该怎么办?
【35】What then?
之后呢?
【36】What then will motivate us to stay the course?
之后靠什么激励我们坚持多样性?
【37】So, folks, I need you.
所以,朋友们,我需要你们。
【38】Let’s come together and set the narrative straight.
让我们一起把话说清楚。
【39】Here, let's say this loud and clear.
大声而清楚地说出这一点。
【40】We want every workplace to affirm women, minorities and every group that is underrepresented -- not in expectation of more innovation or profit or retention,
我们希望每一个工作场所都有女性、 少数族裔和每一个缺乏发声的群体-- 这不是为了期待 更多的创新、利润或归属感,
【41】but because it is the right thing to do. It is the just thing to do, because that is what we ought to do.
而是因为这是正确的事情, 是公正的事情, 是我们应该做的事情。
【42】(Applause) Now, I’m not minimizing the difficulty of organizational change.
(掌声) 我不是在轻视组织变革的难度。
【43】I run an organization.
我经营着一个组织。
【44】I understand the competing demands and priorities.
我了解相互竞争的需求和优先事项。
【45】Reconciling what we ought to do with what we can do is necessarily imperfect.
将我们应该做的事情 与我们能做的事情相协调 必然无法尽善尽美。
【46】Moral clarity is not moral perfection.
明确的道德并不是完美的道德。
【47】It is moral alertness.
它是道德层面的警觉意识。
【48】I'm also not minimizing or saying that innovation or better products or retention are not worthy goals.
我也不是在轻视或声称 创新、更好的产品, 或者归属感不是值得努力的目标。
【49】My point is, let's start making space in our organizations for moral language and clear moral arguments.
我的观点是:让我们开始在组织中 为道德相关的言论 和清晰的道德论证创造空间。
【50】Now --
现在——
【51】(Applause) There was a time in America when you could start as a custodian or in the mail room and rise through the ranks, even to the top job.
(掌声) 在美国,曾经有一段时间, 你可以从一个保管员 或收发室职员开始, 通过等级晋升,甚至到高层工作。
【52】Now that doesn't happen anymore.
现在这种情况已经消失不见。
【53】We have outsourced those jobs.
因为我们已经把这些工作外包了。
【54】We have turned them into gig work.
我们已经把它们变成了临时工作。
【55】And the problem is not just the low wages or poor benefits or the unpredictable working hours.
而问题不仅仅是低工资、低福利, 或者不确定的工作时间。
【56】The problem is we know nothing, nothing about the lives of so many who make our own possible.
问题是我们一无所知, 对那些为我们的生活奠定基础的 人们的生活毫不知情。
【57】We don't know that the worker in our cafeteria is sleeping in her car so she can work three jobs to send her kids to college.
我们不知道 那位食堂的工人睡在她的车里, 这样她就能做三份工作 送她的孩子上大学。
【58】We don't know that the worker in our warehouse has uncontrolled diabetes, even though he has health insurance.
我们不知道 我们仓库里的工人 没有控制糖尿病, 尽管他有健康保险。
【59】But he doesn't have the time to manage this chronic condition.
但是他没有时间来处理这个慢性病。
【60】Folks, how can we be just if these indignities are hidden from us, if they don't show up in our accounting?
朋友们, 如果这些不光彩的事情被隐藏起来, 如果它们不在我们的账目中显示出来, 我们又如何追求公正?
【61】How can lives matter, truly matter to us, if you only read about them?
生命对我们的重要性又将如何体现? 倘若我们只是有所耳闻,
【62】If you don’t encounter them?
倘若你没有遇到他们,
【63】If you don’t share in their humanity?
倘若你不与他们共同分担?
【64】So, it shouldn’t take a hot labor market for us to invest in our entry-level employees.
因此,我们不应该 在劳动力市场火爆的情况下 投资于我们的初级雇员。
【65】And let's not stop at tuition subsidies and training.
我们不要停留在学费补贴和培训上。
【66】Let's do the harder work of mentoring those who do not show up on our organizational charts.
让我们做更难的工作,指导那些 没有出现在我们组织架构上的人。
【67】Let's understand their aspirations and connect them to opportunities, even if those are outside our firms.
让我们了解他们的愿望, 为他们提供机会, 即使这些机会是在工作之外。
【68】Next.
接下来,
【69】Let's get rid of the idea that a smart app or gadget or technology or business model will fix injustice.
我们不要想着用一个智能应用或工具, 又或是什么技术或者商业模式 来解决不公正问题。
【70】It will not!
它做不到!
【71】(Applause) Justice requires accompaniment, staying by a person's side until right is done.
(掌声) 公正需要陪伴, 在直到公正得到伸张之前, 呆在一个人的身边。
【72】I started a nonprofit that provides health care to the rural poor in India, and we realized very early on that we could have all the therapeutics and health care workers and facilities, but we would not transform outcomes until we accompanied literally our patients.
我创办了一个非营利组织, 为印度农村穷人提供医疗保健服务。 我们很早就意识到, 我们可以拥有所有的治疗方法、 医疗保健人员和设施, 但我们想要改变结果 就必须真正地陪伴我们的病人。
【73】So, in our maternal and neonatal health program, expectant mothers have us on speed dial.
因此,在我们的 孕妇与新生儿健康项目中, 准妈妈们把我们的联系方式 设置在快速拨号上。
【74】They call us as soon as they go into labor, and we stay beside them, literally, till they make it to the delivery room in time.
她们一临产就会给我们打电话, 我们就会一直陪着她们, 直到她们可以及时赶到产房。
【75】Why? Because the barriers are too numerous to predict.
为什么这样做呢? 因为无法预测的障碍太多——
【76】Flooded roads, an unwilling patriarch, a labor nurse who will not assist a woman of another caste.
淹没的道路、不愿提供帮助的族长、 不愿意帮助其他种姓妇女的产科护士。
【77】And that is why we journey to distant cities if we have to, and we find a neonatal ICU and stay by the side of an anxious mother and her newborn until they are both well.
这就是为什么我们 要在必要时前往遥远的城市, 去找一个新生儿重症监护室, 并且陪伴在紧张的母亲 和她孩子的身边, 直到他们都平安无事。
【78】And that is how we have cut mortality rates in half in our program when everyone around us told us that it was impossible.
这就是为什么我们的项目可以 把死亡率减少一半, 而我们周围的人都说这是不可能的。
【79】(Applause) Accompaniment is not just about health care.
(掌声) 陪伴不仅仅是关于医疗保健。
【80】In the United States, low-income students drop out of community colleges at record rates because of the barriers they face.
在美国, 低收入学生在社区大学的辍学率 创下历史新高, 因为他们面临着障碍。
【81】They may not have the fare for public transport to attend classes.
他们可能没有去上课的公共交通费用。
【82】They may not have the child care to make it to a job interview.
他们可能没有托儿所, 无法参加工作面试。
【83】They may be struggling with homelessness or hunger.
他们可能正在 与无家可归或饥饿作斗争。
【84】Now, financial assistance is crucial, and we need more of it.
现在,财政援助至关重要, 我们需要更多的援助。
【85】But it will not by itself transform outcomes.
但它本身并不足以改变结果。
【86】What we also need are seasoned advisors who can accompany our students, who can help them pick majors and classes, teach them study techniques, provide career counseling and help them juggle home, work and college.
我们还需要经验丰富的顾问, 他们可以陪伴我们的学生, 帮助他们选择专业和课程, 教他们学习技巧, 提供职业咨询, 帮助他们兼顾家庭、工作和大学。
【87】And now we have rigorous evidence that these accompaniment-centered interventions that address a whole array of barriers can double graduation rates.
现在我们有严格的证据表明, 这些以陪伴为中心的干预措施, 解决了一系列的障碍, 使这一人群的毕业率翻倍。
【88】This is from the City University of New York's ASAP initiative.
这是来自 纽约市立大学的 ASAP 计划。
【89】Accompaniment is not just for nonprofits.
陪同不仅仅是针对非营利组织。
【90】As we try to reimagine and reconfigure work and inclusion in the wake of the pandemic, accompaniment is that principled approach that can get us there.
当我们试图重新想象和配置工作 以及提升归属感时, 在新冠大流行病期间, 陪伴是一种有明确原则的方法, 可以让我们达到目的。
【91】Now, for all of these ideas to take root and endure, we need to make moral clarity foundational to our educational system.
现在,为了让这些想法扎根延续, 我们需要把明确的道德作为 教育系统的基础。
【92】A recent college poll showed that graduating college students consider working for social change less likely than they did as freshmen.
最近的一项大学民意调查显示, 即将毕业的大学生认为 他们为社会变革而工作的可能性 比他们在大一的时候更小。
【93】Our students spend all their time becoming skilled specialists.
我们的学生把所有的时间 都花在了学习技术上。
【94】They accrue credentials for everything -- everything except for the difficult work of making the world just.
他们为所有事情积累证书, 但不包括为了 实现世界公正的辛苦工作。
【95】I teach a course, Entrepreneurship for the Idealist, at Princeton University, which trains students in moral clarity so they can go out and make the world just.
我教授一门课程, 叫作“理想主义者的创业精神”, 这门课开在普林斯顿大学, 课程培养学生们拥有明确的道德, 以便他们能够 在毕业后使世界变得公正。
【96】We can teach our students the language of right and wrong and give them the courage to use it.
我们可以教我们的学生关于 正确和错误的言论, 并给他们使用它的勇气。
【97】We can teach them the nature of injustice so they have a fighting chance at dismantling it.
我们可以教给他们不公正的本质, 这样他们就有了消除不公的机会。
【98】And we can train them in accompaniment.
我们还可以训练他们的陪伴能力。
【99】We don't expect families to train humanists or scientists or engineers.
我们并不指望家庭能培养出 人文主义者、科学家或工程师。
【100】So let's stop making moral clarity the sole responsibility of families or of religion.
因此,让我们停止将明确的道德 作为家庭或宗教的唯一责任。
【101】(Applause) Now, some of you may be thinking that all of this is too hard.
(掌声) 现在,你们中的一些人可能在想, 所有这些都太难了,
【102】That this is unrealistic.
很不现实。
【103】And I can understand that. I've been doing this a long time.
我可以理解, 但我已经在这一领域工作很久了。
【104】Let's stop worrying about being realistic.
所以不必担心是否现实。
【105】(Applause) Last year, folks, we invested 621 billion dollars globally in startups, in dreams, in visions, in visions of worlds transformed by new technologies, in visions of planets colonized and of alternate universes.
(掌声) 去年, 我们在全球投资了 6210 亿美元 用于创业公司, 用于梦想,用于愿景, 用于借助新技术改变世界, 用于殖民星球和寻求可替代的宇宙。
【106】Now, many of those dreams will fail.
现在,这些梦想中有许多会失败。
【107】Many of those dreams will take decades to materialize.
许多梦想将需要几十年才能实现。
【108】But will we flinch?
但我们会退缩吗?
【109】No, we'll double down. Such is our faith in those visions.
不,我们会加倍努力。 这就是我们对这些愿景的信心。
【110】Folks, if we are trying to do something truly hard, I want us to come together to do the hardest thing there is: envision and then build a just world.
朋友们,如果我们 想做一件真正困难的事情, 我希望我们一起去做这之中 最困难的事情: 想象并建立一个公正的世界。
【111】Not a prosperous world. Not a frictionless world.
不是一个繁荣的世界, 不是一个没有摩擦的世界。
【112】Not a resilient world, but a just world.
不是一个具有应变能力的世界, 而是一个公正的世界。
【113】(Applause) Now in our time, the call to do the right thing because it is right, because it is just, evokes a certain wistfulness.
(掌声) 现在在我们的时代, 呼吁做正确的事,是因为它是正确的, 是因为它是公正的, 它唤起了某种怀旧的情绪。
【114】It has that quality of a once-beloved melody whose notes now elude us.
它有一种特质, 就像曾经人们喜爱的旋律, 但现在我们却找不到它的音符。
【115】We are worried that if we sing the tune, it's going to land just a bit flat in our time.
我们担心,如果我们唱这首曲子, 在我们的时代它会显得有些平淡。
【116】And the reason is the foundational myth of our political and economic systems that people will do only that which is advantageous to them.
其原因便是 构建我们的政治和经济体系的基础的 荒诞说法, 即人们只会做对自己有利的事情。
【117】So while we never shun our idealism, it's a stubborn thing we learn early on to wear it lightly.
因此虽然我们 从不回避我们的理想主义, 但这是一个顽固的东西, 我们很早就学会了轻装上阵。
【118】Folks, let's stop selling ourselves short.
朋友们,让我们不要再轻视自己。
【119】We are capable of being small, but we are not small beings.
我们的力量可以微不足道, 但我们并非小人,
【120】We help strangers whom we know we will never see again.
我们会帮助 那些明知不会再见的陌生人。
【121】We grieve.
我们会悲伤。
【122】We grieve for strangers who are oceans away.
为远在天边的陌生人感到悲伤。
【123】In the expectation of what reward are Polish mothers leaving their strollers on train stations so Ukrainian mothers fleeing, dispossessed and broken, will find some respite?
波兰的母亲期待着什么回报? 她们把婴儿车 放在火车站, 让逃难的乌克兰母亲 找到一些喘息的机会。
【124】Yes, we are driven by incentives.
是的,我们是被激励所驱动。
【125】But we are also driven by love, mercy, kindness, justice, solidarity.
但我们也被爱、 怜悯、仁慈、正义、团结所驱使。
【126】Folks, I have an abiding faith in our idealism, in mine and in yours. And here’s why.
朋友们, 我对我们的理想主义坚定不移, 对我的和你们的理想主义都是如此, 这就是我们所做一切的原因。
【127】Our pursuits may be different, our politics may be different, our motivations will always be many.
我们的追求可能不同, 我们的政治可能不同, 我们的动机总是繁多。
【128】But our deepest longing has always been the same: to find our humanity, to fathom that magnificent vastness within each of us.
但我们内心最深的渴望却始终相同: 找到我们的人性, 了解我们每个人内心的宏伟浩瀚。
【129】Thank you.
谢谢。
【130】(Applause)