第十一章 与汉语思维模式一致的结构(续11)
151. to plan for rainy days 未雨绸缪
152. You said Japan gets a cold and the New York Stock Exchanges sneezes.
日本感冒了,纽约证券交易所会打喷嚏。
153. When at last we checked, you could count the number of movies about Negro
League Baseball on one hand.
当最后我们核对无误后,关于黑人棒球联盟的电影屈指可数。
154. One thing led to another after Liddy Fitz-Gerald visited the school where I'm
principal with a box of miniature sculptures made by her husband, Clark.
丽迪·菲茨杰拉德带着一盒由她丈夫克拉克制作的微型雕塑访问了我当校长的这所学
校之后,事情便接踵而至。
155. If you give a man a fish you can feed him for a day, but if you give him the
means to fish he can feed himself forever.
授人以鱼(能让他吃一天)不如授人以渔(能让人吃一辈子)。
156. So that's about it—my most recent brush with death.
这就是事情的大概——我最近一次与死神擦肩而过的险情。
157. In Munich, Stevenson took the hope of a poor nation and years of Soviet-style
training, knocked out American Duane Bobick and Peter Hussing of West Germany,
then won gold without breaking a sweat when Ion Alex of Romania showed up with
a broken thumb.
在慕尼黑,肩负着一个穷国的希望又接受了苏联式训练的斯蒂文森,将美国的杜安·鲍比
克和西德的彼得·修星先后击倒出局,随后,当大拇指受伤的罗马尼亚选后伊翁·亚力克
斯露面时,斯蒂文森不费吹灰之力便赢得了金牌。
158. For one sickly sheep infects the flock. 害群之马。
159. I am so very sad and confused with every emotion possible.
我太难过了,内心里五味杂陈。
160. I am not a tough guy, I just have a big mouth with little to back it up.
我不是一个粗人,我只是话多,嘴上没什么把门的。
161. Scarcity enhances value, and it was such a rare sight. 物以稀为贵。
162. I throw my knapsack over the wall. 破釜沉舟。