【TED演讲稿】如何帮助残疾员工茁壮成长
TED演讲者:Tiffany Yu / Tiffany Yu
演讲标题:How to help employees with disabilities thrive / 如何帮助残疾员工茁壮成长
内容概要:What can we do to make workplaces more welcoming to people living with disabilities? Representation advocate Tiffany Yu shares three ways that employers can change and tap into every worker's skills and gifts.
我们可以做些什么来让工作场所更欢迎残障人士? Tiffany Yu作为代表倡导者分享了雇主可以改变和利用每位员工的技能和天赋的三种方式。
*******************************************
【1】All around the world, there's a huge disability employment gap.
在世界各地, 残疾人存在巨大的就业差距。
【2】In most countries, the unemployment rate for people with disabilities is twice that of people without disabilities.
在大多数国家, 残疾人的失业率 是正常人的两倍。
【3】Often it's as high as 80 percent.
通常高达80%。
【4】There are over a billion people in the world living with a disability.
世界上有超过十亿的残疾人。
【5】To have 80 percent of us unemployed, that's so much untapped potential.
在这80%失业人口中, 存在着很多尚未挖掘的潜力。
【6】[The Way We Work] As someone with a paralyzed arm and living with a mental health disability who's worked in the financial sector and entertainment and tech,
[我们的工作方式] 作为一个手臂瘫痪 并患有心理健康障碍 还在金融部门,娱乐 和科技行业工作的人,
【7】I know that having a disability doesn't bar you from doing good work.
我知道残疾并不会妨碍你做好工作。
【8】So it's shocking to me that this disability employment gap is so persistent.
所以让我震惊的是, 残疾人就业差距 竟然会持续存在。
【9】In the US, the Americans with Disabilities Act prohibits discrimination in hiring and requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations.
在美国,美国残疾人法案 禁止在雇佣中带有歧视 并且要求雇主提供合理的便利。
【10】And studies show that companies who prioritize disability inclusion are more profitable overall.
研究表明重视包容残疾人的公司 整体利润更高。
【11】So what exactly is the problem?
那么问题到底是什么?
【12】Recruiters, human resources staff, managers, they tend to think of hiring people with disabilities as a social good or as something they have to do to meet a quota.
招聘人员、人力资源员工、经理, 他们倾向于认为雇用残疾人 是一种社会公益 或者作为他们为了达到指标 而必须去做的一件事。
【13】But they should be hiring disabled people because of our strengths and all of the value and innovation we can bring.
但是他们应该因为 残疾人的长处而去雇佣他们 或者因为我们可以带给他们的价值和创新。
【14】Here are three things every workplace can do to truly welcome people with disabilities.
以下是每个工作场所都可以做的三件事 以便真正欢迎残障人士。
【15】It's not comprehensive, but it's a start.
它并不全面,但它是一个开始。
【16】First, stop making assumptions.
第一点,停止假设。
【17】Our culture tends to treat disability as a medical diagnosis, a tragedy or a charity case.
我们的文化倾向于 把残疾视为医学诊断, 悲剧或者慈善案例。
【18】And all of these things are rooted in pity.
而所有这些都源于怜悯。
【19】They prevent us from being seen as peers and equals.
它们使我们无法 被视为同龄人和平等者。
【20】These assumptions lead to a lot of avoidance.
这些假设导致了大量回避。
【21】People tend to not ask us about our lives and hobbies outside of work or don't invite us to company social outings.
人们往往不向我们询问 工作之外的生活和爱好 或者不邀请我们 参加公司的团建活动。
【22】There's so much fear about saying the wrong thing, that instead people say nothing at all.
人们非常害怕说错话, 以至于人们直接避而不谈。
【23】They treat disabled people like we're invisible when all we want is to be seen and heard and accepted like anyone else.
他们对待残疾人就像 我们完全不存在一样 我们想要的只是 被别人看到、听到和接受 就和大家一样。
【24】These assumptions also make people jump to conclusions about what we can and can't do without even asking.
这些假设还使人们就直接得出结论 甚至没有问就得出 我们能做什么和不能做什么。
【25】For me, assuming I can't type because I can't use one of my arms or assuming a blind person can't be an engineer.
对我来说,假设我因为 一只手臂不能用而无法打字 或者假设盲人不能成为一名工程师。
【26】When to succeed at work, you need to have people who see your full potential because without that, nobody wins.
当你想在工作中获得成功, 你需要让人们看到你的全部潜力 因为没有它,没有人能成功。
【27】So please, take the time to get to know us, invite us to things, ask us the same kind of questions you would of any colleague.
所以请花一点时间了解我们, 邀请我们参加活动 询问我们和任何同事一样的问题。
【28】What drew you to this work? What are your goals?
是什么吸引你从事这项工作? 你的目标是什么?
【29】What do you hope to do from here?
你希望在这里做什么?
【30】And listen to our answers but also respect our boundaries.
倾听我们的回答, 同时也尊重我们的界限。
【31】If there's something we're not comfortable discussing, we'll let you know.
如果有一些讨论会让我们不舒服, 我们会告诉你的。
【32】And any time you feel unsure, just ask us privately so we can make those decisions.
如果你有任何时候感到不确定, 你可以私下问我们。 所以我们可以自己做决定。
【33】You can even start by saying, "I'm still learning how to get better at talking about disability."
你甚至可以问: “我仍在学习怎么更好的和残疾人沟通。”
【34】Second, rethink accessibility and accommodations starting now.
第二点,从现在开始 重新思考无障碍服务和便利设施。
【35】Disability takes so many different forms.
残疾有太多种形式了。
【36】It can be about someone's sight, hearing or mobility.
它可能和一个人的视力, 听力或者行动能力有关。
【37】It can be ADHD, dyslexia or chronic pain.
它或许可能是多动症、 阅读障碍,或者慢性疼痛。
【38】About 62 percent of employees with disabilities have ones that are not apparent.
大约 62% 的残疾员工 有不明显的残疾。
【39】So even if you don't think there are people with disabilities in your organization, there probably are.
所以,可能你压根不觉得 公司里这些人是残疾人, 但他们确实有可能就是。
【40】And that's why I strongly recommend that workplaces create spaces with disability and accessibility in mind.
这就是为什么我建议 工作场所在创造空间时 要考虑残疾人和无障碍环境。
【41】That way you're paving the way for future employees, clients and customers who might benefit from accommodations, too.
这样你就可以为未来的员工、 客户和顾客 提供有益于他们的便利服务。
【42】At one of my first jobs at an investment bank, the company did something cool.
我在投行的第一份工作中, 公司做了一件很酷的事情。
【43】Within a month of starting, I and all other new hires got an ergonomic assessment of our workstations.
在上班后的一个月内, 包括我在内的所有新入职的员工 对我们的工作站 进行了人体工程学评估。
【44】They actually had a person thinking about my access needs in multiple ways, like getting a foot rest and keyboard wrist pad, which a lot of colleagues got,
实际上他们有人通过多种方式 考虑我的需求, 比如说,给我一个很多同事都有的 脚踏板或者键盘腕垫,
【45】to asking if I might benefit from speech to text technology because I type with one hand.
询问我是否能从语音转文字技术中受益 因为我用一只手打字。
【46】I've always tried to find these little hacks to make my work environment more comfortable, but the fact that this person offered so many options proactively, it made me feel so welcome without making me feel like my needs were "special."
我一直试图找到这些小窍门 让我的工作环境变得更舒服, 但事实上这个人主动地 给我提供了很多的帮助, 这让我觉得很受欢迎, 没有让我觉得 自己的需求是“特殊的”。
【47】It would be amazing if every employer could do some version of this.
如果每个雇主都可以做一些这样的事, 那简直是太棒了。
【48】I mean, why not?
我的意思是,为什么不呢?
【49】But there are also more simple things that can make an impact.
但也有更简单的事可以产生影响。
【50】Like, what about listing accessibility information if you're hosting an event?
比如说,如果你要举办活动的话, 列出来无障碍信息,如何?
【51】Or automatically turning on captions for video meetings?
或者在视频会议时自动显示字幕?
【52】Another way to think about this is: What do my employees need in order to thrive?
其他方式去思考这件事是: 我们的员工需要什么 才能茁壮成长?
【53】It starts with equipping people with a variety of tools.
首先是为人们配备各种工具。
【54】Third, embrace flexibility, like disabled people have had to do our whole lives.
第三点,灵活应变, 就像我们残疾人一辈子都要面对的。
【55】People with disabilities have been advocating for remote work environments and flexible hours for decades now, and it took a pandemic for the world to realize it could happen.
几十年来,残疾人一直提倡 远程办公环境和灵活的工作时间。 一直到新冠在全世界流行 才意识到它可能发生。
【56】All of a sudden, this thing that seemed so wild has become commonplace.
突然间,这件看似天马行空的事情 变得很司空见惯。
【57】And this isn't the first time I can think of when an accommodation for people with disabilities ended up improving life for society at large.
这不是我第一次认为 给残疾人提供便利设施 会提高整个社会的生活质量。
【58】Audiobooks, curb cuts, closed captioning, even electric toothbrushes.
有声书籍,无障碍坡道, 隐藏式字幕,甚至是电动牙刷。
【59】Disability is so often the root of innovation.
残疾往往是创新的根源。
【60】So as we get back to the office, let's remember that all of us can thrive with flexibility.
所以,当我们回到工作中, 让我们记住所有人 都可以灵活的发展。
【61】For people with disabilities, let's provide the option to work remotely at the hours when we can be the most productive from wherever works best.
对于残疾人来说, 给我们提供远程工作的选项, 这样可以让我们 在工作效率最高的地方 发挥最大的工作效率。
【62】I mean, some of us do great working from our bed.
我指的是,我们有一些人 在床上可以更好地工作。
【63】And really, let's hold on to the openness that we can work around everyone's needs.
实际上,让我们保持开放的心态, 以便能够满足每个人的需求。
【64】Let's keep finding ways to embrace flexibility as part of our company's culture.
让我们不断寻找方法, 将灵活应变 作为我们公司文化的一部分。
【65】We know that companies need to work harder on hiring us, retaining us, promoting us, paying us fairly and amplifying our efforts.
我们知道公司需要更加努力地 雇佣我们,留住我们, 提拔我们,公平的支付我们的工资 并且放大我们的努力。
【66】To do that, we need to stop making assumptions, rethink accessibility and embrace flexibility.
为了做到这些, 我们需要停止假设, 重新思考无障碍服务, 并且接受变通。
【67】That is what will help close the disability employment gap.
这将有助于缩小残疾人就业差距。