【TED演讲稿】TED如何给你的冰箱看“风水,以及其他快乐气候的秘诀【英语演讲文字稿】
TED演讲者:Jiaying Zhao / Jiaying Zhao
演讲标题:How to feng shui your fridge -- and other happy climate hacks / TED如何给你的冰箱看“风水,以及其他快乐气候的秘诀
内容概要:Is it possible for taking action on climate change to make you feel happy? Behavioral scientist Jiaying Zhao believes that's the only way we'll create lasting, sustainable change. From treat meals to feng shui fridges, she offers eight life hacks to lower your carbon emissions while increasing your joy and fulfillment.
对气候变化采取行动有可能让你感到快乐吗?行为科学家赵嘉颖认为,这是我们创造持久、可持续变化的唯一途径。从请客吃饭到风水冰箱,她提供了八个生活窍门来降低你的碳排放,同时增加你的快乐和成就感。
*************************************************************************
【1】Hi everyone.
大家好。
【2】I'm JZ.
我是JZ。
【3】Not the cool rapper,
不是很酷的说唱歌手,
【4】(Laughter) but the professor trying to cool the planet through behavior change.
(笑声) 但是教授试图通过改变行为来给地球降温。
【5】(Laughter) The other day I gave my students an assignment.
(笑声) 前几天,我给学生布置了一项作业。
【6】I asked them to come up with individual actions they can take that serve two functions: reduce greenhouse gas emissions and make themselves feel happier.
我让他们想出自己可以采取的行动 有两个功能: 减少温室气体排放 让自己感觉更快乐。
【7】They did a great job coming up with actions to reduce emissions, but they had a much harder time with the happiness part.
他们在采取行动减少排放方面做得很好, 但是他们在快乐的部分经历了更多的困难。
【8】One student told me that he wanted to cut back on cheese.
一个学生告诉我,他想少吃奶酪。
【9】But right after he said that, he got really sad.
但就在他说完后,他变得很伤心。
【10】(Laughter) Unfortunately, my students are not alone.
(笑声) 不幸的是,我的学生并不孤单。
【11】When most people think about climate action, they immediately default to things they have to give up for the planet.
当大多数人想到气候行动时, 他们立刻默认了为了这个星球而不得不放弃的东西。
【12】This mindset is so ingrained in us, partly because the current narrative on climate action is about personal sacrifice.
这种心态在我们心中根深蒂固, 部分是因为当前关于气候行动的叙述 是关于个人牺牲的。
【13】Drive less, eat less meat, shop less.
少开车,少吃肉,少购物。
【14】Less, less, less.
越来越少。
【15】Now I'm a behavioral scientist, so trust me when I say this, this framing doesn't make us feel great.
我是一名行为科学家,所以相信我说的话, 这种框架并没有让我们感觉很好。
【16】If anything, it makes us feel shameful and guilty.
如果有什么不同的话,那就是让我们感到羞耻和内疚。
【17】And those negative emotions are not conducive to long term behavior change because they make us retreat and disengage.
这些负面情绪不利于长期的行为改变 因为它们让我们退缩和脱离。
【18】If the future of a planet depends on a few people willing to make personal sacrifices, we're not going to make it.
如果一个星球的未来取决于少数人 愿意做出个人牺牲, 我们不会成功的。
【19】(Laughter) So what should we do instead The aha moment came to me at the end of a faculty meeting when my colleague, Elizabeth Dunn, approached me and asked, "Can we make climate action feel happy instead of miserable"
(笑声) 那么我们应该做些什么呢 在一次教员会议结束时,我恍然大悟 当我的同事伊丽莎白·邓恩找到我问我, “我们能让气候行动感到快乐而不是痛苦吗”
【20】I said, "Of course."
我说:“当然。”
【21】But then it struck me that I don't think anyone ever connected happiness to climate action.
但是我突然想到 我不认为有人会把幸福和气候变化联系起来。
【22】So Liz and I set down to do exactly that.
所以莉兹和我开始着手做这件事。
【23】Liz is a happiness scientist.
利兹是一位快乐科学家。
【24】She knows what makes people happy.
她知道什么能让人快乐。
【25】I'm a behavioral scientist.
我是一名行为科学家。
【26】I know what makes people change their behavior.
我知道是什么让人们改变他们的行为。
【27】I'm also a human carbon calculator.
我也是人体碳计算器。
【28】I like figuring out exactly how much emissions certain activities have.
我喜欢精确计算特定活动的排放量。
【29】So first I came up with a list of actions that can substantially reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
所以首先我想出了一个行动清单 这可以大大减少温室气体的排放。
【30】And then Liz identified the actions with the largest happiness benefits.
然后Liz确定了快乐收益最大的行为。
【31】And this is how we came up with what we call the happy climate approach.
这就是我们如何想出我们所谓的 快乐气候方法。
【32】It's actions in the sweet spot that not only reduce emissions but also make you feel happier at the same time.
在最佳点的行动不仅减少了排放 但同时也让你感到更快乐。
【33】Now, I know that some of you may think that individual actions may seem trivial without large-scale system change.
现在,我知道你们中的一些人可能认为个人行为可能看起来微不足道 而不需要大规模的系统改变。
【34】I get that.
我明白了。
【35】But let me tell you how I think about this as a behavior change expert.
但是让我告诉你作为一个行为改变专家,我是如何看待这个问题的。
【36】Our individual actions do matter because they embody our values and our care for the planet to other people.
我们每个人的行动都很重要 因为它们体现了我们的价值观 以及我们对地球的关心。
【37】They can spread like a ripple effect to instigate collective action.
它们会像涟漪效应一样扩散开来,引发集体行动。
【38】They send a market signal to businesses and they can trigger broader structural institutional change.
他们向企业发出市场信号 它们还能引发更广泛的结构性制度变革。
【39】So yes, we do need system change, but we also need individual behavior change.
所以,是的,我们确实需要系统改变, 但是我们也需要个人行为的改变。
【40】Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
不要让任何人告诉你不是这样。
【41】Alright.
好吧。
【42】Now I want to take you on a whirlwind tour through some of my favorite happy climate actions.
现在我想带你们进行一次旋风式的旅行 通过一些我最喜欢的快乐气候行动。
【43】Are you ready
你准备好了吗
【44】(Audience: Yes!) Great.
(观众:对!) 太好了。
【45】Let's start with my pet bunny.
先从我的宠物兔子说起吧。
【46】Since this is a year of the rabbit.
因为今年是兔年。
【47】(Laughter) A few years ago, my partner and I adopted Greenwich.
(笑声) 几年前, 我和我的搭档领养了格林威治。
【48】(Laughter) She's adorable.
(笑声) 她很可爱。
【49】She's also a vegan.
她也是素食主义者。
【50】We have so many plants, vegetables and fruits in our house, thanks to Greenwich.
我们有如此多的植物, 我们家的蔬菜和水果,感谢格林威治。
【51】And because of that, I'm eating a lot more vegetables myself than I used to.
正因为如此, 我现在吃的蔬菜比以前多了很多。
【52】And I’m not kidding, I'm feeling a lot happier.
我不是在开玩笑, 我感觉开心多了。
【53】Eating more plants can reduce agricultural emissions by up to 80 percent.
多吃植物可以减少高达80%的农业排放。
【54】I guess that part you may have known before.
我想这部分你可能已经知道了。
【55】But do you also know that a plant-based diet can make you feel happier Decades of medical studies suggest that a plant-based diet can increase both physical and mental health.
但是你也知道植物性饮食可以让你感觉更快乐吗 几十年的医学研究表明 植物性饮食可以增进身心健康。
【56】In a recent experiment, researchers recruited people from North Dakota who barely ate any vegetables.
在最近的一次实验中, 研究人员从北达科他州招募了一些人 几乎不吃蔬菜的人。
【57】And they fed these people a plant-based diet for two months.
他们给这些人吃了两个月的植物性饮食。
【58】These people, on this diet, felt a lot happier at the end of two months, than they did before they started the experiment.
这些人,按照这种饮食, 两个月后,我觉得开心多了, 比他们开始实验前要多。
【59】So researchers think that this is because plants -- so fruits, vegetables -- are high in vitamins and phytochemicals that provide both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits to the brain and the body.
所以研究人员认为这是因为植物- 所以水果,蔬菜- 富含维生素和植物化学物质 提供抗氧化和抗炎的好处 到大脑和身体。
【60】So the happy climate action here is eat more plants.
所以这里的快乐气候行动是吃更多的植物。
【61】(Laughter) But this does not mean never eat meat, because I can tell you that deprivation is a disaster for happiness.
(笑声) 但这并不意味着从不吃肉, 因为我可以告诉你,剥夺是幸福的灾难。
【62】Instead, we should aim for the right balance of meat and plants in our diet that will make us maximally happy.
相反,我们应该致力于正确的平衡 肉类和植物 这会让我们最大限度地快乐。
【63】Now, as you're thinking about this diet and this balance, understand that not all meat is created equal.
现在,当你思考这种饮食和平衡时, 要明白并非所有的肉生来平等。
【64】One kilogram of beef emits about 100 kilograms of greenhouse gases.
一公斤牛肉 排放大约100公斤的温室气体。
【65】That's roughly the same as driving 250 miles.
这大致相当于行驶250英里。
【66】But other types of meat, like fish, pork and poultry have a lot lower emissions.
但是其他种类的肉, 像鱼一样,猪肉和家禽的排放量要低得多。
【67】But if you do want to eat beef, here's the happy climate hack: make it a treat.
但是如果你想吃牛肉, 以下是快乐气候秘诀: 让它成为一种享受。
【68】One study shows that temporarily giving up something we enjoy can actually renew our capacity to savor that thing when we have it again.
一项研究表明,暂时放弃我们喜欢的东西 当我们再次拥有它的时候,实际上可以更新我们品味它的能力。
【69】And that can increase our happiness.
这能增加我们的快乐。
【70】And beyond food, we can turn other things into a treat as well, like shopping.
除了食物,我们还可以把其他东西变成一种享受, 比如逛街。
【71】Now you know that fast fashion has a huge climate impact.
现在你知道快速时尚对气候有巨大的影响。
【72】So instead of shopping often, make shopping a treat.
所以与其经常购物, 让购物成为一种享受。
【73】And here's the happy climate hack.
这是快乐气候的秘诀。
【74】Jackets, jeans, shoes have a lot of greenhouse gas emissions.
夹克、牛仔裤、鞋子都有大量的温室气体排放。
【75】So treating ourselves to high-quality versions of these products that won't fall apart after a few wears is actually good for the planet.
所以给我们自己这些产品的高质量版本 穿几次就不会散的东西实际上对地球有好处。
【76】Underwear, on the other hand, have pretty low emissions.
另一方面,内衣的排放量相当低。
【77】So, you know, please buy those whenever you need them.
所以,你知道,需要的时候请随时购买。
【78】(Laughter) You're welcome.
(笑声) 不客气
【79】(Laughter) Now let's talk about waste.
(笑声) 现在我们来谈谈浪费。
【80】Do you know that if your space is clean, zero-waste and organized, you may feel happier Let's take a look at perhaps the messiest part of everybody's home: the fridge.
你知道吗,如果你的空间是干净的,零浪费的,有条理的, 你可能会感到更快乐 让我们来看看每个人家里最乱的地方: 冰箱。
【81】Some environmental experts recommend that we put perishables into the drawers and put the condiments at the door.
一些环境专家建议我们把易腐烂的东西放进抽屉里 把调味品放在门口。
【82】I hate to say this, but I disagree.
我不想这么说,但我不同意。
【83】I don't think the fridge is designed with human behavior in mind.
我认为冰箱的设计没有考虑到人类的行为。
【84】We often forget about the things in the drawers, right, out of sight, out of mind.
我们经常忘记抽屉里的东西,对吧, 眼不见心不烦。
【85】And that can lead to a lot of food waste and emissions.
这可能会导致大量的食物浪费和排放。
【86】So what's the happy climate action here Feng shui your fridge.
那么这里的快乐气候行动是什么 风水你的冰箱。
【87】(Laughter) This is how I feng shui-ed my fridge.
(笑声) 我就是这样给我的冰箱风水的。
【88】By moving the perishables to the door and the condiments into the drawers, so I can catch things before they rot.
把易腐烂的东西搬到门口 把调味品放进抽屉里, 这样我就能在东西腐烂前抓住它们。
【89】(Laughter) I also FIFOd my fridge, that is, “first in, first out,” meaning, moving older items to the front of the fridge so I don't forget about them.
(笑声) 我还整理了我的冰箱,也就是说,先进先出 也就是说,把旧的东西放到冰箱前面 所以我不会忘记他们。
【90】This way you can have a zero-waste clean fridge and you may feel happier.
这样你就能拥有一台零浪费的干净冰箱 你可能会觉得更快乐。
【91】Now beyond waste, we have to talk about travel.
现在除了浪费,我们还得谈谈旅行。
【92】And here's the happy climate hack.
这是快乐气候的秘诀。
【93】Instead of saying "drive less,"
与其说“少开车”
【94】we should say “drive more ...
我们应该说——多开车...
【95】people."
人们。
【96】(Laughter) Yes.
(笑声) 是的。
【97】Some studies suggest that the more time we spend with our friends and family, the happier we feel.
一些研究表明 我们和朋友家人在一起的时间越多, 我们就越开心。
【98】So what this means is that instead of driving alone in our car,
这意味着我们不再独自开车,
【99】(Laughter) we should drive our friends.
(笑声) 我们应该开车送我们的朋友。
【100】Because carpooling can turn those dreadful minutes behind the wheel into joyful moments of socializing.
因为拼车可以让那些可怕的时光成为过去 变成社交的快乐时刻。
【101】Or you can ditch the car altogether and bike.
或者你可以干脆弃车骑自行车。
【102】(Laughter) Better yet, bike with your bunny.
(笑声) 更好的是,和你的兔子一起骑车。
【103】(Laughter) Biking is virtually carbon-free.
(笑声) 骑自行车实际上是无碳的。
【104】And it also offers moderate exercise that activates our endocannabinoid system.
它还提供适度的运动,激活我们的内源性大麻素系统。
【105】And that contributes to a sense of euphoria, that's bikers high, and greater mental well-being.
这有助于一种欣快感, 那是飞车党高中, 和更好的精神状态。
【106】Now, we also know that flying is carbon intensive.
现在,我们也知道飞行是碳密集型的。
【107】One round trip between Vancouver and New York emits about half a ton of greenhouse gases.
一张温哥华和纽约之间的往返票 排放大约半吨温室气体。
【108】That's equivalent to 400 chicken burgers.
这相当于400个鸡肉汉堡。
【109】That's a lot of burgers.
那是许多汉堡。
【110】But what's exciting here is that there's a double happy climate hack here.
但令人兴奋的是,这里有双重快乐的气候。
【111】Ready First, bundle your trips.
准备好的 首先,捆绑你的旅行。
【112】This means combining multiple trips into one by meeting up with friends and family and maybe doing a little sightseeing in the region to reap the happiness benefits of social connection.
这意味着将多次旅行合并为一次 通过与朋友和家人见面 也许在这个地区观光一下 收获社会联系带来的快乐。
【113】I flew here to New York from Vancouver for this conference, and I'm meeting up with my friends in New York to be happier.
我从温哥华飞到纽约来参加这个会议, 我要去纽约见我的朋友,让他们更开心。
【114】Second, cutting out unnecessary flights can contribute to a sense of time affluence and that is a feeling that you have enough time to do what you want to do.
第二,削减不必要的航班 能有助于时间充裕感 那是一种你有足够时间的感觉 做你想做的事。
【115】Studies have shown that people who experience time affluence tend to be happier because [it] enhances our sense of mindfulness, autonomy and connection to others.
研究表明,经历时间富足的人 倾向于更快乐 因为[它]增强了我们的正念感, 自主和与他人的联系。
【116】In a recent study, people felt happier when they made a time-saving purchase than a material purchase because the time-saving purchase made them feel less stressed.
在最近的一项研究中,人们感到更加快乐 当他们购买比材料更省时的东西时 因为节省时间的购买让他们感觉压力更小。
【117】So before you book your next flight, think about all the other trips you have to take in the future and ask yourself whether you can bundle these flights to save your future self some time.
所以在你预订下一趟航班之前, 想想你将来要去的其他地方 问问你自己你是否能捆绑这些航班 为你未来的自己节省一些时间。
【118】Now, do you want to know the best part of this whole happy climate strategy It doesn't have to stay at the individual level.
现在,你想知道整个快乐气候策略中最棒的部分吗 不一定要停留在个人层面。
【119】We can actually call for happy climate policies that governments can enact so that everyone can get a chance to take these happy climate actions.
事实上,我们可以呼吁政府制定愉快的气候政策 这样每个人都能有机会采取这些快乐的气候行动。
【120】Let me give you an example.
我给你举个例子。
【121】Cities should invest more in climate-friendly infrastructure like bike lanes, so more people get to bike.
城市应该加大对气候友好型基础设施的投资 比如自行车道, 所以更多的人开始骑自行车。
【122】Cities can also invest more in nature-based solutions, like urban green spaces, that not only help cool the city down during the summer, but they also provide space to take a walk, to meet your neighbors, to walk your bunny, and then you can feel happier.
城市也可以更多地投资于基于自然的解决方案, 比如城市绿地, 这不仅有助于在夏天给城市降温, 但是它们也提供了散步的空间, 去见你的邻居, 去遛你的兔子, 然后你会觉得更快乐。
【123】In fact, some studies show that taking a walk in nature makes people feel happier than taking a walk on a city street.
事实上,一些研究表明,在大自然中散步 让人感觉更快乐 在城市街道上散步。
【124】I think you get the gist here.
我想你已经抓住要点了。
【125】And I encourage you to take a moment and think about the actions you can take in your own life that not only reduce emissions, but also can make yourself feel happier.
我鼓励你花点时间 想想你在自己的生活中可以采取的行动 那不仅减少排放,还能让自己感觉更快乐。
【126】There's probably a lot of those in this sweet spot, so please get creative, because the bottom line is this: we need to change the narrative on climate action.
这个甜蜜点可能有很多这样的东西, 所以请发挥创意, 因为底线是: 我们需要改变对气候行动的叙述。
【127】We need to make climate action feel good because if we get this right, our future will indeed be happy.
我们需要让气候行动感觉良好,因为如果我们做对了, 我们的未来确实会幸福。
【128】Thank you.
谢谢你。
【129】(Applause and cheers)
(掌声和欢呼声)