欧盟口译员 Paul+Brennon+谈论口译工作 字幕
你好 我叫保罗·布伦南 我来自北方 但我住在比利时的布鲁塞尔 在那里我是欧盟的翻译
Hello. My name is Paul Brennan, and I come from Northern but I live in Belgium, in Brussels, where I work as an interpreter for the European Union.
我做口译已经有几年了 是一名会议口译员
I've been an interpreter for quite a few years now, a conference interpreter.
每当
And whenever
当人们知道我的工作是什么时 每当他们知道我是一名口译员 他们通常会有两种反应
people discover what my job is, whenever they learn that I'm an interpreter, usually they react in one of two ways.
要么他们说 哦 你是个翻译
Either they say, ooh, you're an interpreter.
哇 那一定是个很有趣的工作
Wow. That must be a really interesting job.
你一定非常聪明 因为你必须同时听和说
And you must be awfully clever and intelligent, because you have to listen and speak at the same time.
您是会议同声传译员
You are a simultaneous conference interpreter.
哇 当然 这是一个非常令人欣慰的反应
Wow. And of course, this is a very gratifying reaction.
我真是受宠若惊 但有些人的反应则不同
I'm very flattered. But there are other people who react in a different way.
他们说 你是个翻译 这有多无聊
They say, you're an interpreter. How boring is that?
你只需要重复别人说的话
You just have to repeat what other people say.
你没有真正为自己考虑
You don't really think for yourself.
那一定很无聊很无聊
That must be extremely dull and boring.
但事实上 这两种反应都不准确
But in fact, neither of those reactions is really accurate.
首先 口译员 如果他们工作得当 不会同时说和听
For one thing, interpreters, if they're doing their job properly, do not really speak and listen at the same time.
如果口译员真的正确地完成了他或她的工作 总是有一个时间表的
There's always a timeline if the interpreter is really doing his or her job correctly.
因为口译员听着 他们认为他们能识别说话者信息中的意思 然后他们传达这个意思 有时非常非常快 在同声传译中 有时比较慢 在交替传译中
Because interpreters listen and they think they identify the meaning in the speaker s message, and then they convey that meaning, sometimes very, very quickly, in simultaneous, sometimes more slowly, in consecutive interpreter.
但是在他们说话之前 译员总是有一个思考 分析的时间轴
But there's always a timeline where the interpreter is thinking, analyzing, before they speak.
另一个反应也不太准确
And then the other reaction is also not quite accurate.
有人会说 哦 口译很无聊
People who say, oh, interpreting is boring.
不要删去别人的话 不 口译并不无聊
Just paren'ting other people's words. No, interpreting is not boring.
口译是非常令人兴奋和有趣的
Interpreting is very exciting and very interesting.
这是一种创造性的活动 因为 就像我刚才说的 你在听一个讲话者的信息 你在思考 识别这个人想说什么 同情 同情那个人 在某种意义上成为讲话者
It's a creative activity, because, as I've just been saying, you are listening to a speakers message, you are thinking, identifying what the person is trying to say, sympathizing, empathizing with that person, becoming the speaker, in a sense.
然后当你理解了讲话者的信息 你就用他们能理解的语言把它传达给听你说话的人
And then when you have understood the speakers message, you convey that to the people listening to you in language that they will understand.
这是一个非常有创意 非常令人兴奋 非常有活力的过程
That is a very creative, very exciting, very dynamic process.
所以对我来说 口译是一份很棒的工作
So for me, interpreting is a wonderful job.
这是一份有趣的工作 这是一份创造性的工作
It's an interesting job. It's a creative job.
这是因为口译本质上是关于交流 传达意思
And that's because interpreting essentially is about communication, communicating meaning.
这意味着你必须成为一名优秀的公众演说家
That means you have to be a good public speaker.
这意味着你必须学会用某种权威的语言说话 掌握你的母语 或者其他你可能需要学习的语言 同时还要理解你的被动语言 也就是你口译得非常好 非常深刻 非常透彻的语言
Means you have to learn to speak with a certain authority, master your mother tongue, or the other languages that you may be called upon to work into, as well as understanding your passive languages, the languages that you interpret from very well, very deeply, very thoroughly.
但你也必须机智敏捷
But you also have to be quick witted.
你必须有求知欲 愿意学习新事物
You have to be intellectually curious, willing to learn about new things.
你还必须有与他人交流的愿望
And you also have to have a desire to communicate with others.
所以从某种意义上说 口译也是一个非常人性化的职业
So in a sense, interpreting is a very human profession as well.
以上就是我喜欢口译的一些原因 以及为什么我会把它推荐给任何认为自己有沟通 理解和想让别人理解我的天赋的人
And those are just some of the reasons why I like interpreting and why I would recommend it to anybody who thinks that they might have an aptitude for, an aptitude for communicating, for understanding and wanting to make other people understand I.