【TED演讲稿】为什么保护土着人祖传领地对应对气候危机至关重要
TED演讲者:Nonette Royo / 诺妮特·罗约
演讲标题:Why Indigenous forest guardianship is crucial to climate action / 为什么保护土着人祖传领地对应对气候危机至关重要
内容概要:Indigenous communities have looked after their ancestral forests for millennia, cultivating immense amounts of knowledge on how to protect, nourish and heal these vital environments. Today, 470 million Indigenous people care for and manage 80 percent of the world's biodiversity -- yet their legal rights to these lands are inexplicit and subject to exploitation by illegal loggers, miners and companies. Human rights lawyer Nonette Royo describes how her team at the Tenure Facility, an organization that provides legal assistance to Indigenous people by taking their land rights battles to court, will help these communities secure and defend 50 million hectares of forests over the next five years. (This ambitious plan is a part of the Audacious Project, TED's initiative to inspire and fund global change.)
千年来,土着人团体一直守护着自己的祖传领地,深谙保护、滋养和修复环境之道。如今,4.7 亿土着人守护管理着世界上 80% 的生物,但他们的合法权利不仅界定模糊,还因非法伐木工、采矿工及企业的剥削而受到限制。人权律师诺妮特·罗约(Nonette Royo)是权利服务机构 Tenure Facility 的成员,这个机构旨在帮助土着人在法庭上争取土地权。此次,罗约讲述了自己的团队将在未来五年帮助土着人团体守卫 5000 万公顷的林地(该计划也是 Audacious 项目的一部分,Audacious 项目由 TED 发起,旨在筹集资金推动社会变革)。
*******************************************
【1】I come from a small island called Camiguin in southern Philippines, land of seven volcanoes and the famous sweet lanzones fruits.
我来自菲律宾南部的 一座小岛卡米金(Camiguin), 这座小岛有七座火山, 盛产香甜可口的龙贡。
【2】As a kid, I would go to the forest with my father, a healer.
孩提时代,我经常与父亲同去森林, 他是一名环境修复人员。
【3】He would take me by the hand and whisper, "Tabi apo!" "Tabi apo!"
他一边牵着我的手,一边轻声说:
【4】'"Permit me," to respect spirit, the majesty of giant trees.
也就是“劳驾”, 这是为尊重林中参天巨木的灵。
【5】Often he would look me straight in the eye and say, "Spirits, forests, lanzones.
通常父亲会看着我的眼睛说: “灵、森林、龙贡,
【6】They nurture us.
它们养育了我们,
【7】You nurture them back.
你也应该保护它们,
【8】You work with the people who know how."
要和专业的人一起保护。”
【9】I share this pain.
我对这番话深有感触。
【10】Now seeing our world's tropical rainforests cut down, hearing the cry of the world's wildlife, losing their habitats, listening to reports of forest guardians under threat.
如今,地球上的热带雨林一片片倒下, 野生动物因失去家园而呼喊哀嚎, 护林员惨遭生命威胁。
【11】In 2020, over 200 Indigenous and environmental defenders were lost.
仅 2020 年,就有 200 多名 土着人和环保人员失去生命,
【12】Illegal loggers, illegal logging is linked to almost a third of these murders.
这其中将近有三分之一 死于非法伐木工和非法伐木。
【13】With their deaths and the death of forests, something is also lost in us.
森林在消失, 环保卫士的生命在逝去, 我们也缺失着什么,
【14】Our abilities to survive the climate crisis.
那就是应对气候危机的能力。
【15】Pressure is building.
我们的压力渐渐增大。
【16】At COP26 last year, governments, NGOs, corporations all say yes to protecting forests and land rights and call on Indigenous peoples, guardians of standing forests, for help.
在第 26 届联合国气候变化大会上, 各国政府、非政府组织和企业 一致同意保护森林和土地权, 呼吁向土着人和护林员寻求帮助。
【17】Finally, we all agree.
最终,我们都达成了共识。
【18】We work with the people who know how, in my father's words.
用我父亲的话说, 我们和专业人员一起保护森林。
【19】Over 20 years ago in my own hometown in southern Philippines, Indigenous peoples, activists, all put their own lives on the line as fighters.
20 多年前, 在我的家乡,菲律宾南部的卡米金, 土着人民和环保积极分子 像英勇的战士一样冒着生命危险,
【20】They protect their forests against illegal loggers, companies and miners who want to take their land.
同企图掠夺土地的非法伐木工、 非法企业和采矿工作斗争, 守护着这片森林。
【21】My own fiancée, a brave Indigenous young man, was killed in that fight.
我的未婚夫, 一名年轻勇敢的土着人, 就在这场斗争中牺牲了。
【22】For years, I thought I was a coward.
多年来,我一直觉得自己是个懦夫,
【23】Unlike my fiancée, I chose the pen, not the gun.
我没有像我的未婚夫那样, 而是以笔代枪。
【24】I chose to set up a legal defense organization, stood with brave Indigenous women and men as barefoot lawyers.
我选择建立一个合法的环保组织, 和众多勇敢的土着人 一起当个赤脚律师。
【25】I struggled between hope and fear when they asked, "Can we really trust the laws?"
我在希望和恐惧中苦苦挣扎, 每当他们问起: “我们真的能相信法律吗?”
【26】I barely had time to ponder.
我都没有太多时间去思考。
【27】You see, when Indigenous peoples, activists protested, they were tagged as communists.
大家都能看到, 土着人和环保积极分子在抗议的时候, 都被打上了激进分子的标签。
【28】So we set up quick reaction teams to respond 24/7 to their legal needs.
所以我们成立了快速反应小组, 24 小时回应他们的法律需求。
【29】And this work led to the passage of an ancestral domain law in the Philippines that set up an Indigenous People's Commission and recognized 4 million hectares of ancestral land claims.
这项工作促使 菲律宾政府通过了祖传领地法, 设立土着人委员会 并承认了 400 万公顷 土着人祖传领地。
【30】This - was shared through Indonesia's legal aid and legal rights defenders who work and strengthen the Indonesia's Alliance of Indigenous Peoples, and they won their forest land rights case in court.
这 也多亏了印度尼西亚的 法律援助和合法权利捍卫者, 他们服务于印度尼西亚土着人联盟, 加强了该组织的信念, 还在法庭上打赢了林地权纠纷一案。
【31】Today 476-million-strong Indigenous peoples look after 80 percent of our world's biodiversity.
如今, 4.76 亿强壮有力的土着人 守卫着地球上 80% 的生物。
【32】So I joined the Tenure Facility five years ago.
五年前,我加入了 权利服务机构Tenure Facility。
【33】Based in Stockholm, we finance mapping and legal defense of collective land rights, so communities globally can protect themselves, protect forests and protect nature.
这个机构总部在斯德哥尔摩, 主要资助 地图测绘和集体土地 所有权的合法保护, 以便全球土着人团体能保护自己、 保护森林、保护自然。
【34】This is how we do it.
我们采取的方法,
【35】We work with credible communities who are forest guardians positioned to protect large tracts of tropical rainforest in the Amazon and Central America,
就是和守卫森林的团体合作, 他们满腔热忱, 保护着亚马逊、中美洲、 刚果盆地和亚洲热带地区的
【36】Congo Basin and tropical Asia.
大片雨林。
【37】And in these countries, laws and policies already exist to recognize rights, but they're not implemented.
以上这些国家已经出台了 承认土着人林地权的法律和政策, 但尚未实施。
【38】Because communities and their partners in government lack support, funding and capacity to turn this promise to reality.
因为各个团体及其合作的政府伙伴 缺乏支持、资金和付诸实践的能力。
【39】For example, in Panama, we assisted the Federation of Indigenous Peoples COONAPIP and their ally in government, and now they've recognized 200,000 hectares of their Indigenous lands,
举个例子, 在巴拿马,我们与国家土着人协调机构 (COONAPIP) 及其在政府的支持者合作, 现在,他们承认了 20 万公顷土着人领地,
【40】and today they protect a million hectares of Indigenous people's lands and forests, and they monitor it.
还将一百万公顷的土着人领地和林地 纳入保护和监测范围。
【41】In Liberia, we worked with 24 customary communities and their allies in government and women land rights groups.
在利比亚,我们与 24 个传统团体 及其在政府的支持者, 以及妇女土地权保护组织合作。
【42】And they now recognize and protect 600,000 hectares of their customary land and forests.
如今他们承认并保护着 60 万公顷土着人领地和林地。
【43】In Indonesia, we assisted the Alliance of Indigenous Peoples, and farmers and women, and they together recognized and registered 1.2 million hectares of their ancestral land claims and forests.
在印度尼西亚, 我们和当地土着人联盟、 农民和妇女合作, 如今他们承认并登记了 120 万公顷的 土着人领地和林地,
【44】And together they buffer large tracts of forest in Indonesia.
还将印度尼西亚的 大片森林纳入保护范围。
【45】Protecting rights to manage lands and forests is not only protecting biodiversity, it is also a climate change solution.
保护土地和森林管理权 不仅是在保护生物多样性, 还是在解决气候变化问题。
【46】And it is a very powerful leverage to our world's climate mitigation work.
它对缓解气候变化 有着举足轻重的影响,
【47】And it is supporting the visions of intergenerational stewardship of Indigenous peoples.
还支持着土着人民 代际管理的 美好愿景。
【48】We have shown it's possible.
我们已证明了其可行性。
【49】Today, since 2017, Indigenous peoples, our partners, have advanced recognition of their land rights and forests to up to 14 million hectares, benefitting seven million people in 12 countries.
2017 年至今, 我们的土着人伙伴 进一步承认了 1400 万公顷的 领地和林地, 惠及 12 个国家的 700 万人口。
【50】And with TED's Audacious support, we can leverage this momentum and expand, secure and protect up to 50 million hectares of land and forests.
有了TED的Audacious项目的支持, 我们能乘势而上, 继续扩大并守护多达 5000 万公顷的土地和森林,
【51】And reach - reach 50 million forest guardians in the next five years.
并 并在五年内 将护林员扩充至 5000 万名。
【52】What we've learned is that when in the midst of environmental destruction, conflict and criminalization, land tenure serves as a bridge.
在环境破坏、冲突和刑事化之间, 我们发现 土地所有权起到了桥梁作用,
【53】It is an important link that generates this possibility of opening minds and hearts for unusual parties, Indigenous peoples, governments, private sector, to come together to find a common solution for a sustainable planet.
它的连接作用至关重要, 让小众群体、土着人、 政府和私人企业 打开思想、放宽心态, 携手找到让地球 可持续发展的统一方案。
【54】Already with secure tenure, we see conflicts resolved, less deforestation.
在已经得到土地权的前提下, 我们看到了 冲突得以化解、森林砍伐得以遏制。
【55】And most importantly, women.
最重要的还有 发生在妇女身上的变化,
【56】Women have increased support for their role as forest guardians, as holders of traditional knowledge and as decision makers for land use, keepers of traditional knowledge.
妇女作为护林员、传统知识所有者、 土地使用决策者, 以及传统知识守护者的角色 得到了进一步支持。
【57】And our youth, Indigenous youth are coming home.
我们的下一代, 以及土着人的下一代都在返乡归巢。
【58】My journey with Indigenous peoples has taught me deep humility and respect.
和土着人同行的这段旅程 让我学会了谦卑和尊重。
【59】Knowing the dangers of protecting forests they persist, they put their own families, their culture, their own lives on the line in order to secure our world's chance, your chance, my chance, for a livable future.
明知保护森林危险重重, 他们仍然坚持着,倾举家之力、 整个部落之力,用自己的生命 保护世界的生机、 你们的生机、 我的生机, 从而打造生机盎然的未来。
【60】No one should have to die protecting forests.
人不该为保护森林而死,
【61】We all have a choice, all of us, to stand as allies, to protect the protectors of our future, to restore balance, to survive the climate crisis.
我们所有人都可以携起手来, 保护替我们守护未来的人群, 恢复生态平衡, 应对气候危机。
【62】Let us work with the people who know how.
让我们和专业的人共同努力, 保护森林。
【63】Thank you.
谢谢大家。