温暖人心的日子 盘子碎片 The Chip

译文来惹~
The Chip 盘子碎片
One day when I was about nine years old, I ran into my mother's bedroom and opened the dresser.
大概在我九岁那年,某天我跑进母亲的卧室打开了衣橱。
In the top drawer was a small wooden jewelry box. I was fascinated by those pieces of jewelry in it.
第一层抽屉里放着一个小小的木质珠宝盒。我很喜欢其中的几件珠宝。
Then I saw there was something hidden under a piece of cloth.
随后我看到一块布下面藏着什么东西。
Lifting the cloth, I found a little white chip of china.
掀开布来,我发现了一小块白色的陶瓷碎片。
Why did my mother keep this broken thing? Shining slightly in the light, it offered no answers.
为什么我的母亲要保存这个碎片呢?在灯光下,它看起来微微闪烁,我想不出答案。
Some months later, I was setting the dinner table when our neighbour Marge knocked at the door.
几个月后,某天我正在布置晚餐桌,这时邻居玛吉来敲门。
Coming in and glancing at the table, Marge said, "Oh, you are expecting company. I'll stop by another time."
她走了进来,朝餐桌看了一眼,说道,“你们要招待客人呢,那我下次再来吧。”
"No, come on in." Mom replied. "We are not expecting anyone."
“不是的,你进来吧。” 母亲回答道。“没有客人要来。”
"But isn't that your good china?" Marge asked. "I'd never trust kids to handle my good dishes!"
“但那不是好餐具吗?” 玛吉问道。“我从不放心把这么好的餐具交到孩子们手里!”
Mom laughed. "Tonight's my family's favorite meal. If you set your best table for a special meal with guests, why not for your own family?
母亲笑了。“今晚我们家要好好享受一顿晚餐。既然可以用最好的餐具、不常吃的菜来招待客人,为什么不这样对家里人呢?“
A few broken plates are a small price to pay for the joy we get using them."
”碎几个盘子没什么大不了的,毕竟一点小损失就能换来家人的快乐。”
Then she added. "Besides, every chip and crack has a story to tell."
她继续说道:“除此之外,每一个碎片和裂缝都暗含故事。”
Mom went to the cupboard and took down a plate.
母亲走到碗橱,拿下来一个盘子。
She said, "Seeing this chip here? It happened when I was 17."
她说:“看到盘子上的缺口了吗?这是我17岁时发生的事。”
Her voice softened,
她的声音变得柔和起来。
"One day my brother invited a young man to dinner and he was seated next to me.
“一天,我的哥哥邀请了一位年轻人来吃晚餐,他被安排坐在我旁边。“
I was so nervous that when I took the plate, it slipped and knocked against the chair.
”我非常紧张以至于当我拿盘子的时候,它滑了下去,摔在椅子上。“
As the young man was leaving, he laid a piece of broken china in my hand without saying a word."
”当这位年轻人要离开的时候,他把从盘子上掉的那块碎片放在我的手里,没有说一句话。”
I couldn't forget about that plate with the missing chip.
我忘不了这个有一块缺口的盘子。
I went up to take out the little wooden jewelry box again. I examined the chip carefully.
我走上楼去,把小小的木质珠宝箱再次拿出来。我仔细端详这块碎片。
The chip mother had saved with care belonged to the plate she broke on the day she met my father.
母亲精心保存的这块碎片,就是她遇到我父亲那天打碎的那个盘子上的。