欢迎光临散文网 会员登陆 & 注册

【细读文本】《拓荒者》文稿精读(3)

2022-11-13 21:48 作者:qazopq  | 我要投稿

大家好,我们继续上次《拓荒者》的文稿精读。史努比和他的朋友们度过了第一个寒冬。来年之春,它们能不能找见印第安人,帮助他们一同攻克难关?

阅读提示:黑色加粗——注解词句红色加粗——好词好句

第四部分:岸上新生活(续)

祈求幸运降临的幸存者

By the end of February, two and a half months after landing at Plymouth, no lndians have been seen. But the combination of a terrible winter and lack of nutritious food and necessary medical supplies has been devastating (破坏极大的), half of the original 102 passengers have died. Only 20 adults and 30 children have survived.

到2月底,也就是登陆普利茅斯两个半月后,还没有发现任何印第安人。但可怕的寒冬、食物和药品的缺乏和给移民者极大打击,最初的102名乘客中有一半已经去世。只有20名成年人和30名儿童幸存下来。

As the winter continues in the first days of March, nothing less than (没有什么比) a miracle is needed to save the few survivors. The strong faith of the surviving Pilgrims is just about all we have left. Even Captain Miles Standish has been heard saying (传言) that time may be running out on the survivors.

步入3月,冬天仍未过去。除了奇迹出现,没有什么是少数幸存者所祈求的。他们的坚定信念成了他们最后的精神支撑。既便如此,有传言说队长也觉得留给幸存者的时间不多了。


第五部分:珍贵的友谊

In early March, the survivors thus make a decision: Shall they return to England on the 'Mayflower'? Or shall they try to survive in the wilderness? And then, a miracle!

在三月初,他们不得不做出一个决定:是乘坐“五月花”号返回英国,还是应该继续在荒野中生存?这时,奇迹出现了!

友好的问候

Charlie Brown: Look, Linus! He is not carrying any weapons.

看,莱纳斯!他没有携带任何武器。

Samoset: Welcome Englishmen. My name is Samoset. My people welcome you to our land.

欢迎你们!我叫萨莫塞特。我的人民欢迎你来到我们的土地。

(People) He speaks English

他会说英语!

Samoset: Welcome Englishmen.

欢迎你们!

Captain:Welcome! And who might you be?

欢迎你!能介绍你是什么人吗?

Samoset: My name is Samoset. My people welcome you to our land.

我叫萨莫塞特。我的人民欢迎你来到我们的土地。

Captain: And how... how in the world do you know our language? 

你怎么....会说我们的语言?

Samoset: English fishermen. Many miles north of this place, English fishermen teach me speak, and fur traders too.

英国渔民教我的。在这里往北许多英里,有英国渔民和皮毛商人教我说话。

莎莉(左下)露出殷切的目光

Captain: Can you please tell us why this land has been cleared? And who cleared it? We have seen no one.

你能告诉我们为什么这块地这么平整?是谁干的?我们没有看到任何人。

Samoset: This land is land of Patuxet tribe. They cleared land here.

这片土地是帕图塞特部落的土地。是他们清理了这里的土地

Captain: But where are they?

但他们现在在哪?

Samoset: All dead. Terrible plague. All died here four years ago.

都死了。四年前发生了一场可怕的瘟疫。

Linus: Everyone died?

无人幸免吗?

Samoset: Yes, young man. Except for one man. His name is Squanto. He speaks better English. I bring him to you in two sunrises.

是的,年轻人。除了一个人。他叫斯匡托。他英语说得比我好。我在两天后请他过来。

While the Pilgrims can hardly believe their eyes and ears. Samoset tells them about their surrounding wilderness.Two days later Samoset returned with the lndian Squanto.The Pilgrims were not only astounded by his good English, but also by the story of his life.

移民者几乎不敢相信这是真的。萨莫塞特给他们介绍周围的环境。两天后,萨莫塞特带着斯匡托返回。他们不仅佩服他流利的英语,更是对其生平感到震惊。

聚精会神的孩子们

Squanto: I was kidnapped from my land here by Englishmen many years ago. They took me to Spain. But some friendly monks (修士) helped me to escape to England. I served a wonderful man who also had me learn English. And that man finally gave me my freedom to sail back here to my land.

多年前,我在家乡被英国人绑架了。他们带我去了西班牙。但一些好心人帮助我逃到了英国。然后我给一个好人做仆人,他让我学会了英语。最后那个人给我自由,让我返回故土。

Captain: Squanto we need much help. Many of our people have died. Many of us feel we should return to England this very month. Is there any way you can help us?

斯匡托,我们需要帮助。我们许多人已经死去。大多数人觉得应该赶在这个月回到英国。你有什么办法可以帮助我们吗?

Squanto: Ah...this land is the home of my people. I am the last of our tribe. I wish to remain here if you so wish it too.

啊…这是我的故土。我是部落最后一员。如果你们也像我愿意留在这里的话,没问题。

Charlie Brown: Linus, it's a miracle! 

莱纳斯,这简直是个奇迹!

Linus: Let's hope so, Charlie Brown.

但愿如此,查理·布朗。

重建新家园

授人以渔

Throughout March and April, Squanto teaches the Pilgrims the heritage (继承) of his fathers.

整个三月和四月,斯匡托把他从父亲那儿继承的本领教给移民者。

Squanto: I'm going to teach you how to plant maize, and we will start by catching some fish.

我要教你们如何种植玉米,我们先从捕鱼开始。

Sally: But what do they have to do with planting corn?

但是抓鱼和种玉米有什么关系呢?

Squanto: This is the time of the year that the fish swim upstream.

这是一年中鱼群逆流而上的时候。

Charlie Brown: Look Linus, Hundreds of fish!

看,莱纳斯,成百上千的鱼!

Squanto: Yes, they are called ale-wives

是的,我们称它们为“白肚皮”鱼

Charlie Brown: What about the corn planting?

那种玉米呢?

Squanto: First we will catch them, and then I will show you. Now you remember what I told you about the best time to plant corn?

首先我们先抓一些鱼,然后我再告诉你们。还记得我说过种植玉米的最佳时间吗?

寥寥几笔,孩子们的欣喜跃然纸上

Lucy: You said we should plant the corn when the oak (橡树) leaves are the size of a mouse's ear.

你说我们应该在橡树叶子长到有老鼠耳朵那么大的时候就行了。

Squanto: It's time to plant.

现在是时候了。

Squanto: Now we'll dig the earth into six foot squares. And heap (堆置) the earth into small hills. Now put in two or three kernels (果核) of corn in each hill. And now we place the fish around the seed.

现在我们要在地上挖一个约两平方米的浅坑。把挖出来的土堆成小山。然后在每座山上放两三粒玉米种子。现在我们把鱼放在种子周围。

因地制宜

Sally: We do!!??

什么??

Squanto: We call this food for the plants It makes the soil better.

我们把这些叫做庄稼的食物,它能改善土质。


丰收时节

The next six months passes quickly, there are no more deaths, and seven more one-room homes are completed. Many months before Samoset and Squanto had introduced the Pilgrims to the great lndian Chief  Massasoit (1590-1661) , who ruled the lndians of the region. Chief Massosait and the Pilgrims have signed a treaty (条约) of friendship and a mutual (共同的) assistance. A treaty that would last for over half a century.

接下来六个月很快就过去了,再也没有人死亡,移民者们还搭建了七间住宅。几个月前,萨莫塞特和斯坎托给大家介绍了马索萨特酋长,后者统治着该地区的印地安人。马索萨特酋长和朝圣者签署了一项友谊互助条约,这项条约将持续半个多世纪。

And finally in September and October the most bountiful harvest the Pilgrim farmers had ever seen. Chief Hassosait brings 90 of his lndian tribes to join the 50 Pilgrims for a feast of Thanksgiving.

终于,移民者在金秋迎来了大丰收。酋长带着90名印第安人一起参与他们的感恩节盛宴。

一粥一饭,当思来处不易;半丝半缕,恒念物力维艰

Captain: May we first have a moment of silence for our beloved souls who passed on during our first months on these shores. And now whosoever wishes to give thanks please speak out.

我们首先为我们逝去的亲人默哀。现在谁想表达感谢,请大声说出来。

Charlie Brown: We thank the Lord for our bountiful harvest.

我们感谢上天赐予了我们丰收。

Linus: We give thanks for our new homes and our good health.

感谢我们有了新家和健康的身体。

Lucy: Thank you for giving us Samoset and Squanto and the great Chief Massosait.

谢谢萨莫塞特、斯匡托、大酋长的倾力帮助。

Captain: And we thank you Chief for our treaty of friendship and we wish you many years of good health.

我们感谢酋长对我们的友谊,祝您健康长寿。

这便是感恩季的真谛!

Charlie Brown: Linus, we have so much to be thankful for.

莱纳斯,我们要感谢的太多了

Linus: And now it's time for the celebration to begin!

现在是时候庆祝了!

演奏音乐《Linus & Lucy》花生主题曲

Squanto: There are still a few of your customs that I do not understand.

我的朋友,你们有些习俗我至今还没搞懂。

史努比:开心,不求被理解

——全文完——

后记:在完成了全文注解后,笔者回想起余秋雨的短文《面对孩子》

孩子明澈的眼睛,是天下美学的第一坐标。

我想,舒尔茨做到了。他用自己的画笔重构了这个世界,以一种别样的美带我们重拾了生活中的美好,而这弥足珍贵

致敬《花生漫画》的作者:查尔斯·舒尔茨


【细读文本】《拓荒者》文稿精读(3)的评论 (共 条)

分享到微博请遵守国家法律