美国翻译及传译专业No.1 的十条新生建议,如何成为一个优秀的译员
美国蒙特雷国际研究生院 Monterey Institute of International Studies
1. Read extensively, especially in your non-native language(s).
广泛阅读,尤其是非母语内容。
Read high quality newspapers (e.g. the New York Times, Wall Street Journal)
EVERY DAY for at least a year.
每天阅读高质量报纸(例如:《纽约时报》、《华尔街日报》)且至少坚持一年。
Read high quality news magazines (e.g. the Economist), cover to cover.
逐页阅读高质量新闻杂志(例如:《经济学人》)
从封面到封底,每一页都要读。
Read your favorite topics in your non-native language(s).
阅读感兴趣的非母语内容
Read other well-written material that will help broaden your general knowledge.
阅读能够扩展视野的优秀作品
2. Watch the TV news and listen to radio news and podcasts on current events in all working languages.
观看多语时事新闻、收听多语新闻广播和音频节目。
多关注电视和广播里的各种时事报导
Don’t just listen to news stories; analyze them.
光听新闻故事是不够的,要学会分析。
Keep abreast of current events and issues.
与时俱进,跟上当前形势,及时了解信息。
Record news programs and interviews so you can listen to them later.
录制新闻节目和访谈内容以便重复收听。
把新闻节目和采访录下来,以便回顾
3. Strengthen your general knowledge of economics, history, the law, international politics, and scientific concepts and principles (in that order).
依次强化自己在经济、历史、法律、国际政治、科学概念和原理方面的知识。
加强你在经济、历史、法律、国际政治和科学方面的知识 ,了解些基本的概念和原理。
Take college-level courses, review high school texts, etc.
学习大学阶段课程,回顾中学课本等。
Strengthen your knowledge in a specialized field (preferably in a technical field, such as computers).
强化某个领域的专业知识(最好选择技术领域,如计算机方面)。
4. Live in a country where your non-native language is spoken.
在你所学语种为母语的国家住一段时间
A stay of at least six months to a year is recommended.
建议至少生活半年到一年时间。
Live with and/or frequently interact with native speakers of your non-native language.
与当地人生活在一起或者经常与当地人交流。
和以你所学外语为母语的人住在一起或保持互动
Take content-related courses (e.g. macroeconomics, political science) in your non-native language (not just pure language courses).
学习用当地语言讲授的课程(例如宏观经济、政治科学),不要只学习语言类课程。
而不是单纯的语言课程
Work in a setting that requires high level use of your non-native language.
在对你的外语水平要求较高的环境里工作
5. Fine-tune your writing and research skills.
提高写作技能和研究水平。
Take challenging composition courses (not just creative writing courses, but classes in journalism, technical writing, etc.) so you can "speak" journalese, UNese, legalese, etc.
学习有挑战的写作课程(如新闻写作、技术写作课程,而非创意写作课程),从而学会新闻用语、法律用语,甚至说官话等。
参加由挑战性的写作课程(不仅仅是创意写作课,而是新闻写作、技术写作等),这样你才可以熟悉“新闻体”、“联合国体”、“法律体”等等写作风格
Copy (by hand) sections of textbooks and periodicals in your non-native language(s).
手抄非母语课本和期刊中的内容。
Make a note of unfamiliar or troublesome grammatical points and work towards mastering them.
遇到不熟悉的或有难度的语法点要做笔记,并且要努力掌握。
Practice proofreading.
进行校对练习。
多做改错练习
6. Improve your public speaking skills.
提升你的公共演讲技能
Take rigorous speech courses.学习严格的演讲课程。
Practice writing and making presentations in front of other people in both your native and foreign language(s).
(Have native speakers of your non-native language edit your speeches.)
在他人面前使用母语和非母语进行写作练习并现场展示,吸取母语人士的修改意见。
多练习写讲稿和在他人面前做演讲,即要用母语练也要用外语练
7. Hone your analytical skills.
磨炼分析能力。
Practice listening to speeches and orally summarizing the main points.
尝试聆听演讲并口头归纳重点。
练习口头总结出听到的演讲的中心思想
Practice writing summaries of news articles.
尝试撰写新闻文章的概要。
练习写新闻报道的摘要
Practice deciphering difficult texts (e.g. philosophy, law, etc.).
尝试解读复杂文本(例如哲学、法律文本等)。
练习阐释难懂的文章(如哲学文章、法律文章等)
Practice explaining complicated concepts understandably.
尝试将复杂概念解释得通俗易懂。
练习把复杂的概念解释清楚
Identify resources for background research (e.g. library, Internet, etc.).
识别背景研究所需的各种资源(例如图书馆、互联网等)。
为背景研究储备资源(包括图书馆、网络等等)
8. Become computer savvy.
精通计算机操作。
Familiarize yourself with navigation and file management under current Windows operating systems (most of the software tools used in the localization industry today are not compatible with the Apple operating system).
在Windows操作系统下熟练浏览和管理文档(目前在本地化行业中使用的大部分软件工具与苹果操作系统不兼容)。
熟悉如何在Windows操作系统下导航和管理文件
Develop an understanding of the features Windows offers for multilingual processing, such as language-specific keyboard layouts, regional settings for units of measurement.
了解Windows操作系统所包含的与多语言处理相关的功能,比如针对特定语言的键盘布局、计量单位的区域设置等。
了解Windows系统多语种进程的特点,比如特定语言的健盘布局地区性设置的方法等等
Learn to use advanced functions of Word, Excel, and other Microsoft Office applications in both your native and non-native languages.
学习使用Word、Excel以及其它微软Office应用的高级功能,熟悉这些应用的双语界面。
熟悉Word,Excel和其他办公软件的母语版本以及外语版本
Become an expert in search engines and online research by using these tools on a daily basis.
每天使用搜索引擎和在线检索工具,成为这方面的专家。
通过日常的频繁使用,熟悉搜索引擎和网络资源搜索
9. Learn how to take care of yourself.
学习如何照顾自己
Eat sensibly, exercise regularly, and get sufficient sleep. These are all habits required of a good translator/interpreter.
合理膳食、坚持锻炼,并保证充足的睡眠。这些都是一位优秀笔译员或口译员应该具备的良好习惯。
10. Be prepared for lifelong learning.
为终身学习最好准备
活到老,学到老
Be patient. Bringing your language skills and analytical skills up to the level required of a professional translator or interpreter is not a task that can be accomplished in a few short years. Only with a lot of sustained hard work can anyone truly succeed in these challenging and exciting fields.
要“Hold”住自我。要练就一身扎实的语言技能和分析能力并成为一名专业的笔译员或口译员并不是短短几年就做成的事。在这个充满挑战、令人振奋的行业里,唯有锲而不舍方能大展宏图、一显身手。
要有耐心。将自己的语言和分析能力提升到职业译员所需要的水平不是一朝一夕的事情。需要通过长期不懈的努力,才能在这个充满挑战和激情的领域获得成功。