欢迎光临散文网 会员登陆 & 注册

【TED演讲】快乐地图

2022-12-21 22:25 作者:TED精彩演说  | 我要投稿


I have a confession to make.

我要先进行自我忏悔。


As a scientist and engineer, I've focused on efficiency for many years.

作为一名科学家和工程师,我多年来一直专注于效率。


But efficiency can be a cult, and today I'd like to tell you about a journey that moved me out of the cult and back to a far richer reality.

但是效率可能会成为一种桎梏,今天我想要告诉大家一段旅程,它使我走出桎梏重回多彩人生。


A few years ago, after finishing my Ph.D. in London,

几年前,在伦敦完成了博士学业后,


I moved to Boston.

我搬到了波士顿。


I lived in Boston and worked in Cambridge.

我住在波士顿,在剑桥工作。


I bought a racing bicycle that summer, and I bicycled every day to work.

那年夏天,我买了一辆竞速自行车,我每天骑着它上班。


To find my way, I used my phone.

我用手机导航。


It sent me over Mass. Ave., Massachusetts Avenue, 

它让我走马萨诸塞大道,


the shortest route from Boston to Cambridge.

那是从波士顿到剑桥最短的一段路。


But after a month that I was cycling every day on the car-packed Mass. Ave., 

但在是交通拥挤的马萨诸塞大道骑行了一个月后,


I took a different route one day.

有一天我走了一条不一样的路。


I'm not entirely sure why I took a different route that day, a detour.

我不记得为什么我当时选择了不一样的路,选择绕道,


I just remember a feeling of surprise; surprise at finding a street with no cars, 

只记得那种惊喜的感觉,惊喜于发现了一条没有汽车驶过的道路,


as opposed to the nearby Mass. Ave. full of cars;

与挤满车辆的马萨诸塞大道形成了鲜明的对比;


surprise at finding a street draped by leaves and surrounded by trees.

惊喜于发现了一条被树叶覆盖被绿树环绕的路。


But after the feeling of surprise, I felt shame.

但是这种惊喜之后,我感到了羞愧。


How could I have been so blind?

我以前怎么就没发现?


For an entire month, I was so trapped in my mobile app that a journey to work became one thing only: the shortest path.

整整一个月,我受制于手机导航,每天去工作的路程只意味着一件事:最短路线。


In this single journey, there was no thought of enjoying the road, no pleasure in connecting with nature,

在这段路途中,我从来没有过任何享受旅途的想法,没有心情体会大自然,


no possibility of looking people in the eyes.

没有机会向路上的行人示意。


And why?

为什么会这样?


Because I was saving a minute out of my commute.

因为我为了节约一分钟的通勤时间。


Now let me ask you: Am I alone here?

那么现在我问你们:这样做的只有我一个人吗?


How many of you have never used a mapping app for finding directions?

你们中有多少人从来没用过手机地图导航?


Most of you, if not all, have.

大多数用过。


And don't get me wrong -- mapping apps are the greatest game-changer for encouraging people to explore the city.

请不要误会,地图软件使我们的生活便利许多,它鼓励人们去发现你所在的城市。


You take your phone out and you know immediately where to go.

你带上你的手机,你就知道往哪里走。


However, the app also assumes there are only a handful of directions to the destination.

但是,地图软件假设到达目的地只有那几种途径,


It has the power to make those handful of directions the definitive direction to that destination.

它把那有限的几种途径作为到达目的地的终极途径来呈现。


After that experience, I changed.

在那次无意的经历之后,我变了。


I changed my research from traditional data-mining to understanding how people experience the city.

我将我的研究方向从传统的数据挖掘转向了了解人们如何体验所在的城市。


I used computer science tools to replicate social science experiments at scale, at web scale.

我使用电脑技术在网络上进行大规模的社会科学实验。


I became captivated by the beauty and genius of traditional social science experiments done by Jane Jacobs, Stanley Milgram, Kevin Lynch.

我被传统的社科研究的美与精妙深深吸引了,那些由简·雅各布斯、斯坦利·米尔格拉姆、凯文·林奇所做研究。


The result of that research has been the creation of new maps, maps where you don't only find the shortest path, the blue one,

研究的结果促成了一个新的地图软件的开发,一个你不仅能找到最短路程——以蓝色标记,


but also the most enjoyable path, the red one.

而且能找到最享受的路程的地图——以红色标记。


How was that possible?

这是如何实现的?


Einstein once said, "Logic will get you from A to B.

爱因斯坦曾经说过:“逻辑思维可以带你从A走到B。


Imagination will take you everywhere."

想象力可以带你去任何地方。”


So with a bit of imagination, we needed to understand which parts of the city people find beautiful.

所以,依靠一点点想象力,我们需要知道人们觉得这个城市的哪些地方是美的。


At the University of Cambridge, with colleagues, we thought about this simple experiment.

在剑桥大学,我跟我的同事们一起想到了一个简单的实验。


If I were to show you these two urban scenes, and I were to ask you which one is more beautiful, which one would you say?

如果我现在向你展示两张城市风光的图片,然后我问你,你觉得哪一张更美,你会怎么说?


Don't be shy.

别害羞。


Who says A?

谁觉得是第一张?


Who says B?

谁觉得是第二张?


Brilliant.

很好。


Based on that idea, we built a crowdsourcing platform, a web game.

根据这个想法,我们做了一个众包平台,一个网络游戏。


Players are shown pairs of urban scenes, and they're asked to choose which one is more beautiful, quiet and happy.

我们展示两张城市景色图片给玩家,让他们选择哪一张的景色更漂亮,静谧,令人愉悦。


Based on thousands of user votes, then we are able to see where consensus emerges.

依据成千上万的用户的选择,我们能找出那些被大众一致选择的图片,


We are able to see which are the urban scenes that make people happy.

我们能看到哪些城市美景令人愉悦。


After that work, I joined Yahoo Labs, and I teamed up with Luca and Rossano, and together,

这之后,我加入了雅虎实验室,我和卢卡和罗萨诺组成一个团队,


we aggregated those winning locations in London to build a new map of the city, a cartography weighted for human emotions.

我们一起汇总了那些伦敦的胜出地点并制作了全新的城市地图,充满了人类情感的地图。


On this cartography, you're not only able to see and connect from point A to point B the shortest segments,

在这个地图上,你不仅能够看到A到B的最短路程,


but you're also able to see the happy segment, the beautiful path, the quiet path.

你还可以看到快乐的路程,漂亮的路程,静谧的路程。


In tests, participants found the happy, the beautiful, the quiet path far more enjoyable than the shortest one,

在实验中,参与者更加喜欢快乐的、漂亮的、静谧的路程,而非最短的路程,


and that just by adding a few minutes to travel time.

而前者只增加了几分钟的路程。


Participants also love to attach memories to places.

参与者也喜欢把风景贴上记忆的标签。


Shared memories -- that's where the old BBC building was; and personal memories -- that's where I gave my first kiss.

集体记忆——比如,这是BBC曾经的办公室;个人记忆——比如,这是我的初吻发生的地方。


They also recalled how some paths smelled and sounded.

他们还回忆起某条路的气息和声音。


So what if we had a mapping tool that would return the most enjoyable routes based not only on aesthetics but also based on smell, sound, and memories?

如果我们有这样一个制图工具——在挑选最让人享受的路程时,它不仅会考虑风景,还考虑气息,声音和记忆,会怎样?


That's where our research is going right now.

这就是我们目前的研究方向。


More generally, my research, what it tries to do is avoid the danger of the single path,

总的来说,我的研究试图做的就是避免单一路程的危险,


to avoid robbing people of fully experiencing the city in which they live.

避免剥夺人们充分享受他们所居住的城市的权利。


Walk the path through the park, not through the car park, and you have an entirely different path.

穿过公园,而非停车场,你会有全然不同的路程。


Walk the path full of people you love and not full of cars, and you have an entirely different path.

走那条充满了你所爱的人的道路,而非被汽车占据的道路,你会有全然不同的路程。


It's that simple.

就这么简单。


I would like to end with this thought: do you remember "The Truman Show?"

我想以下面这个想法来结尾:你记得电影《楚门的世界》吗?


It's a media satire in which a real person doesn't know he's living in a fabricated world.

这是一部嘲讽媒体的电影,其主角不知道他生活在一个虚假的世界里。


Perhaps we live in a world fabricated for efficiency.

也许我们生活在一个为效率而生的虚假的世界里。


Look at some of your daily habits, and as Truman did in the movie, escape the fabricated world.

看看你平常的生活习惯,电影中楚门逃离了那个虚假的世界。


Why?

为什么?


Well, if you think that adventure is dangerous, try routine.

如果你觉得冒险很危险,试试平庸吧。


It's deadly.

那可是致命的。


【TED演讲】快乐地图的评论 (共 条)

分享到微博请遵守国家法律